The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2004, 09:10 PM   #1
ed455
Captain Ed

Electrical problem in lights

Just rewired the truck with an EZ wiring harness. I did a lot of changes simultaneously. Van column, new harness, new lights, etc., so I don't know the extent of any pre-existing electrical gremlins.

So far the only problem I have encountered is in the lights. With the headlights and parking lights off, the brake lights and turn signals work great. With the headlights and/or parking lights on I'm getting some current backfeed throught the system when the RIGHT side turn signal is on. Symptoms:

1. the turn signal indicator on the dash blinks but does so slowly and the indicator (led) never goes completely out.

2. The rear RIGHT SIDE turn signal goes COMPLETELY out when blinking and does so in OPPOSITE sync with the front (which acts normal).

3. I get some dim flashing of the LEFT rear signal when the right trun signal is on WITH the parking and/or headlights.

The left front and rear parking lights connect to the headlight switch at two different pins according to the EZ Wiring diagram. With the RIGHT turn signal going and the parking lights on, I can unplug the rear parking light wire from the headlight switch and the dash indicator acts the way it is supposed to, but there is still dim flashing of both the rear tail lights.

I have checked for good ground, seems to be OK.

My thoughts: bad headlight switch (original) OR bad turn signal switch.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:07 PM   #2
ed455
Captain Ed

Think it's my turn signal switch. Everything is hooked up correctly. However, I just discovered that my hazard lights don't work UNLESS I actuate a turn signal. The EZ wiring kit is in GM colors and I have double and triple checked MY wiring job. SInce I have done numerous wiring jobs withou a problem I feel *somewhat* confident in MY ability. I will get a turn signal switch in the morning and see what happens.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:34 AM   #3
Hooter
My other Love

hmm, could be a burnt out diode in the turn signal switch, and how is the wiring in your rear harness, I had a problem with my truck in the summer where the signal light would work fine, till Id hit the brake, then theyed quit, turns out it was a Hoppy tralier wiring harness, one of those inline T connectors

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 02:11 AM   #4
ed455
Captain Ed

The rear harness is just 4 wires. In fact the original factory harness looked like a very long trailer harness. I was not aware that there WAS a diode in the turn signal switch. It does act like a diode malfunction, but I thought the turn signal switch was a simple affair. I will find out in the morning. Oh yeah, it is morning! (1:10 am) Time to quit wrenching and go to bed.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:12 AM   #5
jhow66

Try running a jumper wire from bed to frame to check ground. (bed may not be grounded to frame good enough which would cause the problems you are having.)
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:41 PM   #6
70c10
67-72 Addict!

ed455, I just went thru this same thing with my dads truck and it was the turnsignal switch. While you're in there I would recommend checking the cancel cam, springs and upper steering column bearing. They are cheap and easy to replace while it's apart.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:14 PM   #7
ed455
Captain Ed

Thanks. I ordered a turn signal switch from Napa today. It should come in Tues.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:20 AM   #8
ed455
Captain Ed

That was it. I replaced the turn signal switch and the problem is now GONE. One totally rewired truck working perfectly.