The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
wannabeburbowner

New bench seat in old truck.....

I was driving my dads 2001 chevy truck yesterday and was pondering the idea of putting a new seat on my 71 chevy. The '01 has nice cup holders built into the seat and the seatbelts are also built into the seat. Seatbelts seem to be at just the right height too, doesn't dig into my neck or anything. The newer Ford and Dodge trucks also have nice bench seats with big compartments in the middle/back of the seat. Just wondering if anybody has done this, and how everything worked out. Does it fit ok?? What did you need to do to mount it?? Pictures would be great.

Thanks,

Travis
85 Monte Carlo SS clone T-top (Sold)
72 Chevelle-tubbed
64 Buick Sportwagon
wannabeburbowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
gr8scott51

Lots of folks do this swap. I have a 94 Silverado seat. One of the truck mags - Classic Truck? - did an article on it.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
Vince M

I put 2000 truck seats in my 4x4. Fit nice. They were the 40/20/40 seat with the center section a jump seat. It is the single best improvement to the ride quality I have ever done.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
69sixpackbee

Heres mine. '99 Silverado full power seats.

69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
ACES
Life is a gamble

Do you have to remove the gas tank to do that swap?
or drill any new holes?

The torpid artist seeks inspiration at any cost, by virtue or by vice, by friend or by fiend, by prayer or by wine.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ACES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #6
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

I saw a post not so long ago and have to agree, that seats with integrated seatbelts in a truck that is not designed for them is a BAD idea safety wise. Those seatbelts would not be properly reinforeced to handle the force of a collision. Now the newer seat without them IMO are a great idea.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:42 AM   #7
wannabeburbowner

That is a good point with the safety aspect, but I will probably choose comfort over safety. I feel if the accident is bad enough that the seatbelts can't withstand it, then I wouldn't want to live through it....My Truck would be totaled.

69 1/2 Six Pack Bee:
Repeating the above post...did you have to remove the tank and drill some holes?? Make new brackets?? Is it comfy?? Sitting to low or too high??
72 Chevelle-tubbed
64 Buick Sportwagon
Old 01-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #8
Putter
More Cowbell....

Here are mine

Mine are '98 Suburban second row with hide-a-way arm rest and cup holders.
And the tank is still behind it (for now).
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2005, 10:37 AM   #9
gr8scott51

My tank is still in the cab, I had to drill 4 holes. My seat belts are not integral to the seat.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:56 AM   #10
69sixpackbee

Tank stayed. Had to fabricate a simple bracket for the front of the pass. seat nearest the hump and redrill a few holes. All in all it was very easy.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #11
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 1/2 Six Pack Bee
Tank stayed. Had to fabricate a simple bracket for the front of the pass. seat nearest the hump and redrill a few holes. All in all it was very easy.
Like Bee said it's any easy swap but if you are over 6 ft ,a Tilt wheel and smaller steering wheel will help with the leg room . Mine is a 98 ,60/40 tank still behind the seat.The bracket can be just a 1 1/2 " pipe nipple that is what I used .
Attached Images

Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #12
69sixpackbee

Damn Bill, that seat looks good! Where'd ya get it? he...he..
Old 01-07-2005, 12:16 PM   #13
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 1/2 Six Pack Bee
Damn Bill, that seat looks good! Where'd ya get it? he...he..

a Bud gave it too me.
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #14
busterwivell

I've got a newer than stock seat in mine, from an 84, I think. Just a bench and I put 3 point belts in. Picked them up at LA Roadster show a couple of years ago from a vender. Will upgrade to a newer seat someday. What are you guys paying for those neat power, split seats?
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:27 PM   #15
Putter
More Cowbell....

I gave $75 for mine (the tan leather ones)
Old 01-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #16
TugOwar

Putter that seat is cool as he!!. Looks so big a luxurious yet there doesn't appear to be a shortage of leg room or belly room. And storage space to boot! Very cool.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 07:43 PM   #17
wannabeburbowner

Putter:
Where did you find that seat for $75?!?!?!? That is awesome!! Like TugOwar said "Looks so big a luxurious yet there doesn't appear to be a shortage of leg room or belly room. And storage space to boot! Very cool"
I may have to copy off you, I'd hate to do that, but that is exactly what I was looking for.
72 Chevelle-tubbed
64 Buick Sportwagon
Old 01-08-2005, 06:08 AM   #18
4x4Poet

Putter, you have found the seriously "it" seat for 67-72 customs:

1. Luxurious, yet slim upholstery for good legroom and steering wheel clearance.
2. Padded middle seatback that folds down as an armrest with integrated cupholder.
3. A little storage underneath passenger seat.
4. Fold down passenger seat back with flat "trayback" for carrying something in the cab without messing up the upholstery.
5. Retractable shoulder belts that use B-pillar captive nuts.
6. Slim headrests that clear the back window well.
7. And a price only a mistress can beat!

Have I missed anything?

Putter, please speak to the mounting method for the seats and the belt mechanisms. TIA.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #19
Putter
More Cowbell....

The ONLY issue I have is that if you are an 'above average' tall guy, you might not like them completely (but I am stuck in the 5'8" range). I have a buddy that is like 6'4" or so and he bumps his knee getting out. But that will soon be solved. I received my tilt from FedEx on Friday. My plan is to 'box' in the space under the seat to prevent stuff from running out when I brake hard and fast. Just so you will know, the driver's side fold up just like the passenger side to expose the storage space, but it hits the non-tilt steeting wheel. That will be resolved with the install of the tilt also. As for mounting, I was able to use the truck's factory outer mounting holes by simply 'slotting' the bottom of the seat brackets. I did have to drill new holes for the inner mounts and use 3/4" spacers. Some members have used pipe fittings, but I used some square tubing that I had. These seats sit slightly higher than the stock bench, but it is like a 'command seating' feel to it. If someone didn't need the tilt-able bottoms and wanted them to sit lower, they would unbolt from the mountings and could be modified to fit a stock bench mount with a little modification.

WHERE DID i FIND THEM? There is a junkyard locally that deals only in trucks, vans and SUVs. ZERO cars. When G-Man69 and I went there last, they had two sets of tan leather, one set of grey leather, and random colors of cloth ones.

As for the seat belts, they mounted right in the existing holes that were in the wall of my truck. Some of you may be interested to know that I also have the height adjustment peices that I am going to install. The only reason they aren't in there now is that I can't get my arm up the wall with the tank filler in place. The adjustment parts came from an extra cab chevy work truck (W/T). Since these are "plain-jane" trucks, they are not hidden in the wall under the panels like in a Silverado. They came surface mounted with their own tan plastic covers. Very slim and very easy to mount using the stock hole in our trucks and drilling one more for the bottom bolt of the bracket. ( I will post pics of them later.)

Thanks for the compliments. And if anyone needs more info, please let me know.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:28 AM   #20
4x4Poet

Thanks Putter. Great info.

Looks like you could ship them for less $$ than some board members would have to pay locally.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #21
Fishwacker
Never Give Up

Re: New bench seat in old truck.....

Your user account at the photo site has been disabled?
Fishwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #22
whitty

Hi. I was looking to upgrade my seat, but couldn't find one I liked that was in good shape; then I walked past a 97 suburban and immediately thought of your post. I picked up the leather seat for $150 and mounted it w/o much issue other than a couple easy mods. What an improvement! It is so comfortable. Seriously recommend using this style of seat to others. I also grabbed the visors and interior light from the same vehicle and will modify to install them. I removed the dash pad, welded the slotted holes and bolt holes, sprayed with rocker guard and painted the interior to match the leather; what a difference.

Could you post pic's of the mounting set-up you used, as well as what you did for the seatbelts? I will try to add pic's of mine too. Thanks.

Last edited by whitty; 12-05-2008 at 11:32 PM.
whitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #23
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I recomend that if you think you like the 99 to date seats, you drive one of those trucks before forking over the cash. We have had toreplace MANY of them with aftermarket seats becouse so many people thing they are uncomfortable. (I tend to agree too)
It is personal preference, but we hear a lot of complaints, as does our upholstery shop.
The leather is most comfortable, then vinal, and cloth getting the most complaints.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 12-05-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:57 AM   #24
rstewart09

It must be a personal preference because I have a 2000 and also a 2004 Silverado with cloth seats and I always felt they where very comfortable. I have been on the look out for one for my 67. I have heard from junk yards that they don't hold up well so they disappear quickly as people get them to replace their worn out ones.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:22 AM   #25
Wootdog

In my 67 C10, I put in 97 Bonneville buckets. The left one is power. Used the outside mounting holes, and drilled new ones for the inners. Got both leather seats for 75.00 at U Wrench it. Now with the tilt very comfortable.
Kerry
Wootdog is offline   Reply With Quote