The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
CAP11

Headliner Help

I want to install a headliner in my truck. It has never had a headliner in it so I also know that I need the plastic trim pieces for it also.

I have found one in a local wrecking yard that is in good shape but it is a tweed tan color. The trim pieces are also tan. My interior is silver/black, I am wanting the headliner to be black also. Could this headliner be dyed black?? I have never dyed anything before so any advise you might have would be appreciated.

I assume that the plastic trim could be spray painted either black or silver. Has anyone ever done this before? How did it turn out?

Or should I just wait until I can find a black/silver combination somewhere else?

Last edited by CAP11; 01-10-2005 at 04:41 PM.
CAP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

I pulled the material off a headliner and just glued new material in its place. Looks stock and ony took about an hour or so.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
CAP11

cochino, good advise. I kind of hate to do that since the headliner looks to be in good shape but I guess that re-covering it would make more sense.

Anyone ever paint the plastic trim pieces before? Also any advise on installing the trim is appreciated. I assume some drilling will be involved.

Last edited by CAP11; 01-10-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #4
Greenlee

I painted the plastic trim in my truck about a year ago be cause it was fading. So far, it still looks good. I used an interrior spray paint from the auto parts store.

With respect to the fabric for the headliner. On a previous truck I had, I bought the fabric at a fabric store. I believe the store was called Clothworld. There is also a similar chain of fabric stores called Hancocks I believe. I used 3m spray adheisive to glue the fabric to my old headliner board. It looked just like the factory headliner when I was done. I think this method would be easier than trying to dye the fabric.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
76sierraclassic

There are all kinds of posts on the board about dying the interior trim pieces. SEM is one brand that comes to mind that is supposed to be good. I think you can get it at some local auto parts stores, and I know you can get it on line. Maybe someone who has actually done this will chime in....

Mike
76sierraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #6
rolson1039

lol and i was looking for beige( tan) interior pieces i found white
ive used several times the spray can stuff you get in autozone or pep boys with no problem i just make sure ive cleaned the pieces thoroughly with a degreaser as well as like acetone or some kind of solvent to get any grease off them then i give it a couple of light coats and let it dry
I have a question tho for yall... does anyone know if the headliner from the front of a blazer will work in a standard cab truck??
also CAP11 if youre able to get the tan headliner and the material is in good shape i may be interested in it if it can be re used on a headliner
Old 01-10-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

Stupid me, I tore my headliner backing to pieces getting it out of the truck.

Has anyone made one from something else? (like cardboard maybe)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:42 AM   #8
CAP11

Rolson, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info on the interior paint.

Has anyone here ever installed a headliner in a truck that never had one? What exactly needed to be done?

Also, my 85 does not have a dome light. What are my options in adding a dome light? I assume that any headliner I get will have the cut out for the light. Anyone ever added this before?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by CAP11; 01-11-2005 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
KShortell

I can't help you too much with the headliner board except to point you in the direction of one of the aftermarket folks like LMC, Golden State, Year One, etc.

However, if you have one or can even get a used one, the write-up I did from recovering my headliner in 2002 might help:
http://www.geocities.com/kevinshorte.../headlinr.html

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I put a headliner in my 73 Custom, which did not originally come with a headliner. I also decided to ditch the visors and dome light to give it a cleaner look. If you are going to recover it anyway, just cover over the holes. Problem solved.

It sounds a little cheesy, but I used drywall screws when I put up my headliner. They start a whole lot easier than self tapping screws, and I liked the way the black looked as well. I used a cordless drill, and it went right up. Having a helper to hold the headliner is a good idea. Other than that, it is pretty straightforward.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:56 PM   #11
jberkeley
86 chevy k-10

i went to the bone yard, and found the headliner and trim pieces. headliner was a mess came out of burnt reck.. covered it with cheap cloth and installed the trim..looked great... there is a guy on ebay that sells the correct covering..any color you want.. i changed mine and to fix the liner it self i used duct tape on the back side...purchased the paint from azone thing turned out great...and was cheap compared to 150.00 for new liner and at least 100.00 for trim...so for about 75.00 you can't tell the differance....as far as interior light.get one from a junk make sure to get wire harness..while your at it get cargo lamp with harness.....i love junk yards....
jberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote