The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2005, 12:21 AM   #1
longnlow72

Primer question

My truck is a daily driver and i plan on getting in painted in a few months, but for welding up my antenna hole, emblems, stake pockets, etc i would like to do these between now and then. If i was to weld them and do all the body work and prime over that how long could i have the primer on there? Would it hold up to the rain and weather and not rust? thanks
-Ben

P.S. I have this in the paint and body section but i think alot of you people who dont consistantly(sp?) go over there would know.
72 Chevy lwb, cowl hood, shaved antenna, shaved bedrails, blazer tank, sidemarker fill, 1pc windows, flowmaster 40's, alpine deck, infinity 6x9's, infinity 4"ers, 2 jl audio 10w0's, grant wheel, keyless entry and alarm, more waiting to be done...
longnlow72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:22 AM   #2
longnlow72

i also dont have a problem with something as simple as re-sanding before paint and minor things
72 Chevy lwb, cowl hood, shaved antenna, shaved bedrails, blazer tank, sidemarker fill, 1pc windows, flowmaster 40's, alpine deck, infinity 6x9's, infinity 4"ers, 2 jl audio 10w0's, grant wheel, keyless entry and alarm, more waiting to be done...
Old 01-12-2005, 12:38 AM   #3
flatblack67c-10

I didn't have a problem with it. My bed was in primer for about 6 months, and I never had any rust come thru. I shaved the stake pockets, and the sidemarkers, (welded all of these up) I used Mar Hyde 2K primer.
was 67 chevy swb fleet now muticolored 69 step, 350/350, 3.73 posi, converted to 5 lug, torq thrust II 17x8 front 17x9.5 rear, factory air cab, fuel cell. future plans: shaved wiper cowl, shave stake pockets, phantom grille, and silver paint...
68 camaro ss396 project
54 f*rd project truck
flatblack67c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:11 AM   #4
danho
Pesemistic Optimist

A good quality epoxy primer should hold up for you. I would post this in the body and paint forum for a better answer though.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:28 AM   #5
SweetandLong68
Your UncleBen

Yeah you should have no problems. Just use a good quality primer and you should be fine for just about as long as you need to wait.

Some of my trucks got to primer but never made it to paint. So I know what you are going through... Mostly back in my straying fOrd days... haha

lata
CHRIS
Old 01-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
4x4Poet

Most plain and guidecoat primers are porous. They allow water to microscopically seep thru to the metal and cause rust underneath the coating. If the truck is always inside, doesn't matter. If outside, then only a primer-sealer will prevent water from penetrating the primer(-sealer) coating to the metal. You can leave a primer-sealer on outside as long as it stays bonded to the metal. For your welding work that will ruin small patches of previously sprayed primer-sealer, have the paint shop mix up some primer-sealer in an aerosol can so you can reapply to just the parts you've welded around.

Verify this with your local auto body paint supplier. The staff will likely know this info from experience, whether personal or with customers. Besides, they will give you the best recommendation regarding waterproof primers.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 01-12-2005 at 09:23 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I used a primer sealer and my truck has been in it since '96........ It was kinda cool 'cause for about the first 2 years it was shiny and looked like the truck was painted. Now its all faded My avatar pic was taken a couple months after the primer was applied.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:15 AM   #8
longnlow72

ttt, i have "sem high build primer surfacer" its good primer and sweetandlong said a good primer should do, would this work, could find the product online
Old 01-13-2005, 09:27 AM   #9
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

4X4Poet is right on the mark. Regular primers may seem to be okay but down the road you run the risk of the paint peeling or rust developing under the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Poet
Most plain and guidecoat primers are porous. They allow water to microscopically seep thru to the metal and cause rust underneath the coating. If the truck is always inside, doesn't matter. If outside, then only a primer-sealer will prevent water from penetrating the primer(-sealer) coating to the metal. You can leave a primer-sealer on outside as long as it stays bonded to the metal. For your welding work that will ruin small patches of previously sprayed primer-sealer, have the paint shop mix up some primer-sealer in an aerosol can so you can reapply to just the parts you've welded around.

Verify this with your local auto body paint supplier. The staff will likely know this info from experience, whether personal or with customers. Besides, they will give you the best recommendation regarding waterproof primers.