The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2005, 10:50 PM   #1
1972ChevyCheyenne

Borders & Parts - USA to Canada

I am looking to bring back about 1500 USA Dollars/ 1850 Canada Dollars back to Ontario from the USA. I was wondering what the taxes are and how to present stuff at customs. I know GST must be paid. What about PST and Duty on Auto Parts? I have tried searching Canada Customs website, but I can not understand it. Also how is this presented at the border. I'd be grateful for any additional information. All of the parts will be new. All items will be interior parts and trim. Maybe a patch panel too. Thanks for any help.

Jamie
1972ChevyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
pissonNOS

could u instal the parts while ur down there? what u could do also is try calling the closest border there should a 1800 number in the phonebook
Old 01-12-2005, 11:26 PM   #3
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Just PST and GST, no duty. Very rarely is duty ever charged. You will have to pay the tax on the amount you are over from your exemption. The exemption you are allowed depends on how long you are gone. If someone is going with you, you may be able to use their exemption as well, that part depends on the customs officer. Hell if you catch them on a good day you could get away with paying $0.00

Just make sure you have bills for all the stuff you buy. At the border they will total up all your purchases and convert it to CDN$$$ using their exchange rate. Some people even get the person selling the parts to write up a bill for a lesser amount, just don't get carried away, make it some what believeable and don't have a "real" bill anywhere in your possesion.

Last edited by Gee_Emm; 01-12-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:48 AM   #4
Rod

The only duty you'll probably pay is on something that was made off shore...like Japan.
Most Items made within the free trade agreement area from Mexico to Canada are exempt.
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:50 AM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Correct

Gee Emm & Rod are correct. You have to pay GST/PST on the Canadian equivalent and there is no duty if USA made. If you are going with your wife you can use some of her exemption too, but most women burn up their exemption on themselves. Just remember dealing with Canada Customs they don't have to prove you did, you have to prove you didn't, the opposite of dealing with the cops. I brought a motorcycle backfrom Iowa a few years and got a prick Customs Officer at the Emerson border (south of Winnipeg) that didn't belive my bill of sale price was the price I had paid and actually called the guy I bought it fromto veriy that si waht I paid but got no answer. By that time my wife was spitting fire and told the guy I was a Mountie and then he backed off.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:01 AM   #6
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

i bought a seat from too much stuff & they wanted to know all about how i found out about it. i showed them the recipt but they didnt believe it, but it was real & i payed taxes. then they x-rayed it & i was on my way.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:30 AM   #7
super72bb

1972chevycheyenne

This is an exellent question. I have a close friend who owns a shipping company here in Calgary Alberta. He has informed me of many different ideas to do with this. I have moved thousands of dollars in parts across the border with his help and in my expirence this is the most effecient way...

The beauty of this all is NAFTA. It states that every Canadian has the right to self clear any items that you bring across the border. I too agree that, (providing the parts have been manufactured in the USA) you do not have to pay duty on those items. Furthermore the fact that your truck is considered an antique also supports this.

It is simple, all that you have to do is have the items shipped to the nearest customs outlet for you to self clear them. As an example- you would have the shipper to "send the parts to your address (be sure to leave your phone #)via the customs outlet closest to you" all that you have to do is give the shipper instructions to "ship and purchaser will self clear". When they arrive they are held in bond and customs contact you directly by phone. Then all you do is go down to the customs outlet and verify what the parts are, how much in CAD they are, and then you pay GST and PST (only if PST applies in your province) Thats it. Take the parts home and have fun.

What this does is eliminates the cost of brokerage.

Hopefully that makes sense, feel free to ask if I can help you with anything on this as it will save you quite alot in brokerage fees.
Curt

My build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7120181
super72bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:39 AM   #8
super72bb

Oops

As I read back throught the post I realize that you will be self clearing the parts at the border so... you wouldn't pay any brokerage fees anyway. Disregard my post unless you are having the parts shipped in the future.

Curt

My build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7120181
super72bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
Rod

I avoid the word "Antique" now. I list them as "used"..when dealing with older parts. The word "Antique" sets some people in the mind set that antiques are worth more than "used". Then the debate starts...and you'll probably get nowhere fast. Some items you could get shipped with an actual ebay invoice or some proof of purchase price. Why I pay taxes on something that was originaly taxed when new I don't agreee with, but I didn't make the tax laws or have much say.

Some provinces up here you dont pay tax in a used vehicle at all. Here we do. If I buy from a dealer I pay 2 taxes. Private sale is 1 tax...typically 7% per tax here.
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote