The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

another funny story from our truck

another funny story from summer 2 years ago..

we were taking our dog to the vet to get a kennel cough shot (we were going on vacation & he had to go to the kennel), my dad was at work, and while we were driving there, there were'nt any strange noises or fluids, but right as we went to get on the crossover to get across the highway, a huge mist of coolant coats the windshield, and my mom and I roll down the windows to see to get over to the vet's office.

once in the vet's office, we signed in then used the phone to call my mom's friend who owns a [at the time] small towing "company" using his daily driver and a tilting car trailer. He was on a call, but we told him we had a 77 dually that needed a tow home (nearest civilization is miles away), and he got to where we were about an hour after we called. It took him about 1 glance at the truck to say "how much that beast weigh?", so i said 7000, at which point he responded saying his trailer has a max load of 7500. He tilts the trailer down, pulls the truck up on it, and puts 6 straps on it (2 on front, 2 on back, 2 diagnol to control sway, as the inner tires were supporting the truck on the angled rail, about 2" of contact per side), and we drive off.

fast forward to when we get to the house. He goes to pull the straps off, and it turns out somewhere along the line, one of the rear straps had ripped in half from the sway of the truck. Once he had the truck off, he looked at the trailer hitch on his way back to his cab, apparently the load bent his hitch so it pointed down just a bit. He goes to turn around behind our shop, and his truck gets stuck (it's a ram 3500 flatbed 4x4), and he unsticks it by going to 4x4 mode after tearing up the ground (it had just rained the day before).

At a festival in october, he had a booth and we went and saw him, he remembered us and said that "because of your truck, i have a new f##d F550 rollback", and he had a co-worker man the booth while we went and saw the rollback. There's no doubt it was just for our truck, he pointed out the points where he actually cut the sides of the bed off and widened the bed 1 foot on each side and made it 4 feet longer, while making it look halfway stock.

I just thought it was funny that as a result of our truck, he went out and got a rollback just for massive trucks like ours, them modified it so anything will fit it.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
Mike76251

That was a expensive tow (for him)!!!
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote