The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
Shev
Head Peon

TP Watts Link Instal Article from Classic Trucks Inside!!!!

Right click and "Save Target As" then check it out:

http://www.geocities.com/sshevnock/TP/TP_Watts_01.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/sshevnock/TP/TP_Watts_02.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/sshevnock/TP/TP_Watts_03.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/sshevnock/TP/TP_Watts_04.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/sshevnock/TP/TP_Watts_05.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/sshevnock/TP/TP_Watts_06.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/sshevnock/TP/TP_Watts_07.jpg

I really don't like how it's welded to the diff cover and the bearings aren't sealed...and it costs $500

And congrats to N2 for making the same issue...
Old 01-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
SCOTI

I agree. It's pretty, but I sure wouldn't trust anything that's welded to the rear-end cover. I've seen them welded to the back side of a 9" housing but there's a little more metal there to weld to.

I think a better idea would be spacers that come off the housing that can attach a 3/16" or 1/4" plate for mounting the pivot link.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
smokekiki
Mike

It is also bolted to tabs on either side of the housing.That cover is pretty strong.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
lofly'a

i've read this article and visited the totally polished website, but can't see shelling out 500 bucks for it. the engineering and production cost probably justifys the price, but i have done some research on the setup and am going to design and build one. i don't need a shiny pricey setup under the truck that's only gonna get grimey and pitted from the road crap. this setup is used on mazdas, mustangs, and midgets for racing and is a production setup on some other foreign cars. i found a website on design and theory of the watts link so i'm gonna give it a shot. i have access to all the machine shop tools to do it at work so as soon as i get some stock (gonna use steel) cut out i'll give it a go.

tp's website has a short video on the operation of the watts link installed in a 65 or 66 chevy truck, and it is a sweet setup.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project

Last edited by lofly'a; 01-21-2005 at 07:35 PM.
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
Shev
Head Peon

I heard the new Durango uses a Watts Link...haven't looked under one though to confirm it...
Old 01-23-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev
I heard the new Durango uses a Watts Link...haven't looked under one though to confirm it...
I was under an 05 Durango yesterday @ the shop. It does indeed have a factory 'Watts link' & it mounts off the differential cover. The difference? The differential cover for the Durango had multiple strengthening ribs & was about 3/16" thick & looked like it was cast & not stamped.

However.... the system could be adapted to other vehicles relatively easy using similar methods as the TP kit, but using factory stuff (which may or may not be cheaper depending on your ability to shop around).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-21-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
roj2323

i agree it's an awsome option but it badly needs a redesign. i will draw up a picture of what i mean and post it later.

ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #8
roj2323

ok here's what i mean.

in the left picture is the totally polished kit. in the stock format it's really under engineered. the yellow in that picture shows whare i would add a bar to strengthen the conection between the link and the support connection. this would be added to the support bar and not the custom bracket in the right side picture.

in the right side picture is a bracket that would provide the same function as welding the pivot but would let you mount it without welds or additional holes. a couple additional veiws are just below the right side picture.

with these mods the link itself would likely need to be a little bit thinner but if made of steel or stainless steel it would be just as strong or stronger.

just my thoughts,
ondrew
Old 01-21-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev
.....And congrats to N2 for making the same issue...
Thanks...
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:32 AM   #10
bagged72blaz
Got L.E.D.s

Are you totally sure that TP kit welds to the cover? If it is with that huge aluminum bar you wouldn't need it to be. The pressure is side to side not up and down.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:38 AM   #11
roj2323

astuly here is some pressure up and down expecialy with something like leaf suspention. granted with a trailing arm setup the stress is far less but i allways say it's better safe than sorry.
ondrew
Old 01-22-2005, 05:36 AM   #12
lofly'a

thanks roj2323, i have been thinking along those lines also since i saw a mustang setup. the bracket similar to yours was welded to the rearend instead of bolted. i am thinking along the lines of a channel shaped bracket with mounting tabs. i wish you were closer too, we could brainstorm the hell out of this thing. as soon as i get some bearings and bolts i'll finish the design and start milling.

and yes it is welded to the diff cover bagged72blaz, the whole install is in this months custom classic trucks mag. that's the only thing i don't really like about the tp setup.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
Old 01-22-2005, 10:00 AM   #13
Shev
Head Peon

The complete article is in the links at the beginning of this post...right click, save them and check it out if you haven't...

Also looks to me as if the heim joints that are on the pivot are locked and only allowed to move up and down...any agree?

Also no seals for the bearings

Last edited by Shev; 01-22-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:48 AM   #14
bagged72blaz
Got L.E.D.s

What about one of the thick aluminum diff covers that have the cooling fins and machine it down.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:47 AM   #15
lofly'a

i agree on the bearing issue shev. why are they using taper bearings anyway, they are primarily for thrust, as in end loading like a clutch release or wheel bearing endures while steering the front wheels in a turn, and the watts link is only gonna be radially loaded. i can only see using taper roller bearings if the rearend moved forward and backwards which it does'nt. i'm designing mine to use regular sealed ball bearings, but i may take the seals out of the inside and add a zerk ot the housing. the heims are moving up and down in the video, and only orbitally rotate a small amount.

if my thinking is going south someone please straighten me out.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
Old 01-23-2005, 07:42 AM   #16
AirMale

I've been brain-storming with everyone here as well. I would like to see a design that uses all 10-12 bolts on the rear pumpkin. If you look at one of the S-10 locators from ***************** he has done just that. I was thinking about making a template from a cover or a gasket so it lays inside the lip on the cover. Then I would weld some gussets across vertically and horzontally to mount the bell crank to.
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #17
GMCGRANDS

What if you used a T/A performance cover? They make a 12 bolt truck aluminum cover.Check out the link. http://www.taperformance.com/gm.htm

05' GMC Sierra Denali LQ9
GMCGRANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #18
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I really don't think that the link being welded to the cover is all that weak. It is being used to oppose that aluminum bracket, supporting the pivot shaft.
It is a lot stronger with support on both sides.
I am rather shocked that they don't include a new cover as part of the kit though...pre-installed (Chromed, painted or even raw for powder-coating)

I would agree that this is a pricey/flashy set-up that can be produced by a competant fabricator for a lot less $$$.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR
I really don't think that the link being welded to the cover is all that weak. It is being used to oppose that aluminum bracket, supporting the pivot shaft.
It is a lot stronger with support on both sides.
I agree. It's mainly used to support both sides which is not a requirement (the Durango doesn't require support on both sides). I just don't like something welded to those thin 12-bolt differential covers. A frame of some sort that bolts to the actual housing (utilizing spacers) would look much more professional IMO.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-26-2005, 09:53 AM   #20
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCGRANDS
What if you used a T/A performance cover? They make a 12 bolt truck aluminum cover.Check out the link. http://www.taperformance.com/gm.htm
ka-ching!

TA 1811 27 $159.95 12 Bolt Cover, Truck 12 Bolt Chevy Type Truck Differentials
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:01 PM   #21
el curioso

Is this what every one is talking about

Is this what you guys have been trying to make or explain.......

Pictures courtesy of www.ifcustom.com

Last edited by el curioso; 01-26-2005 at 04:04 PM.
el curioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:12 AM   #22
smokekiki
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofly'a
i agree on the bearing issue shev. why are they using taper bearings anyway, they are primarily for thrust, as in end loading like a clutch release or wheel bearing endures while steering the front wheels in a turn, and the watts link is only gonna be radially loaded. i can only see using taper roller bearings if the rearend moved forward and backwards which it does'nt. i'm designing mine to use regular sealed ball bearings, but i may take the seals out of the inside and add a zerk ot the housing. the heims are moving up and down in the video, and only orbitally rotate a small amount.

if my thinking is going south someone please straighten me out.
I don't know if there is a reason for using the taper bearings other than they are s-10 wheel bearings,which are,and wll be, availible at any parts store for years to come.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:50 AM   #23
lofly'a

got my pivot link cut out and welded up, almost time to start machining. i am using 1/2" x 3" bar stock (3 pieces to make pivot). gonna make a center mount like roj2323 drew up (thanks), but gonna use a piece of shallow channel 2" x 1/2". may be a while before i can test the true benefits of this setup but at least i'll already have it made. using sealed ball bearings 2"OD, 1/2"ID, 9/16"W and 3/4" threaded male rod ends with 5/8"ID. gonna get pics soon as i get all the parts cut out and mocked up which may take a while.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
Old 01-24-2005, 10:20 PM   #24
roj2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofly'a
got my pivot link cut out and welded up, almost time to start machining. i am using 1/2" x 3" bar stock (3 pieces to make pivot). gonna make a center mount like roj2323 drew up (thanks), but gonna use a piece of shallow channel 2" x 1/2". may be a while before i can test the true benefits of this setup but at least i'll already have it made. using sealed ball bearings 2"OD, 1/2"ID, 9/16"W and 3/4" threaded male rod ends with 5/8"ID. gonna get pics soon as i get all the parts cut out and mocked up which may take a while.

ROCK ON MAN

post pics when you can.
ondrew
Old 01-26-2005, 02:53 AM   #25
BK
BK Built

what do you guys think about this setup http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/product.htm i think it would work, maybe make a different or another bracket for the center to pivot on, think it would work, let me know whacha think.
BK is offline   Reply With Quote