The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
sb400

Unhappy Slow slutch pedal return

On my '79, the clutch pedal is very slow to return all the way to the top of the travel. It doesn't seem to have any hangups until the clutch is engaged, but in "free play" mode it moves very slowly. It seems to be worse in the cold weather.

I recently replaced the clutch. At that time I had the z-bar out, cleaned it up and repacked it with wheel bearing grease, along with the clutch fork pivot ball. I'm a new owner, and the truck didn't run when I got it so I have no idea if this problem existed before I changed the clutch.

It has the return spring under the dash, which appears to be hooked up properly. There is also a return spring underneath, connected to the clutch fork and a plate under the motor mount.

Any ideas?
sb400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
79C10

you could put a stronger spring.
79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That was my only thought too, was the pedal return spring worn out.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
YumaKaraoke

I own a 79 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4. I had some similar issues with my clutch. Found several parts needed to be replaced. But I think you will find out that the bushings at the top of the clutch pedal are wore out. I ordered the replacement bushings from a local auto store. The come in the "Help" items. In their book they were listed under the brake section vice the clutch section. I would recommend that you replace both the brake and clutch bushings while you have it apart. Pretty simple job.
A bit of advice. Make sure you unbolt the lower clutch pedal bracket from the upper pedal bracket. This allows the clutch pedal to swing a little further toward the upward position allowing very easy removal of the clutch spring.
YumaKaraoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:21 PM   #5
sb400

Thanks!

I always wondered how to get that spring on and off!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
PHOENIX

Yuma: gave some good advise there. Those bushing wear and cause slop and binding. There is also a sleeve ($6.00 from dealer) at the top of the pedal that can get pretty worn. The small green bushings for the brake pedal and clutch are available from GM dealers for $1.33 each. These are think plastic bushings that wear and eventually fall off and look like they were never there. A total of (4) are required.
I have some pretty heavy duty springs on mine and it returns pretty well, mine is just a little sloppy, I am going to play with the bushings and sleeve later this week.
I would also consider heavier springs if you have not already.
Also not sure where your spring at the fork is hooked to by the motor mount, but from what I can tell they are supposed to be hooked in a hole on the frame. This pulls towards the front drivers tire. That is how it is shown in the service manual. If I remember correctly the hole is just in front of the shock area.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
sb400

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOENIX
Also not sure where your spring at the fork is hooked to by the motor mount, but from what I can tell they are supposed to be hooked in a hole on the frame. This pulls towards the front drivers tire. That is how it is shown in the service manual. If I remember correctly the hole is just in front of the shock area.
The spring is hooked up to a plate that is sandwiched between the motor mount and the engine block. There is a hole drilled in the plate to accept the hook of the spring. There is also a plate on the passenger side, minus the hole for the spring. Looks factory..? Angling the spring would probably cause an interference with the header. I'd take photos but I'd have to shovel a foot of snow before I can even get under the truck.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2005, 05:59 PM   #8
PHOENIX

I hear you about the headers. I would leave it how it is if it has a good pull and not binding or rubbing on anything.