The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Sooner1970_K10
1970 K10, 350, 4spd!

Surface rust - Best way to delay it?

I have a pickup that I bought last year with good intentions of tearing it apart and going through it from top to bottom. I have never done this before but was going to go slow and work my way through it. As it is I am not sure when I am going to get around to rebuilding it. My best guess is a couple of years. That being said, it runs well, drives well and I will be using it to haul a few things and for weekend trips to town.

(1) I am looking for opinions on small fixes I could do to the body to stop the surface rust and not look to tacky in the proccess?

(2) The only plans I have for the truck in the near future are small upgrades such as a 4"-6" superlift with 33"-35" bfg muds.

(3) Should I clean and repaint the white stuff - white? Mirrors, bumpers, rims! What can I do with the pea-green paint? How can I stop the surface rust and not have the truck two colors of paint?

(4) How much would it cost if I was able to get a soda/sand blaster, strip it down and paint it with some black grey paint (very cheap) that would block moisture and the sun but wouldnt cost me an arm and a leg? Note: I have never painted, I would be painting from following some self help book.

Below are a few pictures to give you an idea of how extensive the surface rust is.
Attached Images

Sooner1970_K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
CHEVYE
my gas saver

sand down bare, treat it, and recover is the only way really. converters and such are only gonna delay it for a short time. either way you look at it, you`ll have spots or different colors on it.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
CraigS

You don't have a rust problem. Except maybe the drip rail. Grind out the drip rail, put in some self levelling seam sealer and shoot the rail with some epoxy primer and you should be good for a while. Don't strip that thing until you are ready to tackle painting or you will have a rust problem.
CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote