The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
bluex

Wheel cylinder.

Well I lost the one on the drivers side. I'm gonna go ahead and replace both, but I was wondering which size I need to get. I know it has the 1.25" front brakes and I think the rears a 11x2, but I'm not sure. Its a '78 Big Ten/Heavy Half. They list two different ones for the rear, one for the 11x2 and one for a 11 5/32 x 2 3/4. Are the larger rear brakes just a 4x4 or 1 ton deal? I would like to have the parts before I start, b/c I dont like leaving to get stuff while my truck stays up on stands.

Any tips on replaceing them? I found out as I was leaving the driveway yesterday so I didnt drive it far, I just parked it again and drove my S10. All the fluid ran out though between where I was parked and the end of the drivway. I suppose I get the joy of trying to bleed the dang things again.

Thanks
Paul
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
beaterC10

You prolly have the 2 3/4 wide shoes if you have the heavy half and the wide front rotors. You might look on the option sticker for option JB5 which is the big brakes.

Measuring the drums would let you verify what you have at the parts store.You might also measure the width of the drum, I think the 2" rear shoes have about a 4" wide rear drum. I know you can get a tape measure on the drum without removing the wheels, if you're lazy like me.

My suggestion if you have the time to wait is to buy pre bent hardlines and a new rear hose for the rear axle. I did that on my beast last time, it make the whole job easy if you can just cut the old lines odd and not wrestle with rusty fittings. I used either inline tube or classsic tube on mine, the cost was in the range of $30 for the complete axle.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote