The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2002, 01:59 AM   #1
gmc-rob

Unhappy New guy needs some help!!

I bought a 1972 Chevy Cheyene 10 a few months ago and and am getting it road worthy. Do I need to remove the box to put in new cab corners? And if I do how hard is it, it looks like just 8 bolts and the tail light wires, am I missing anything? Also when I first got the truck it braked really well (has power brakes) but the rear brakes locked up first. The truck needed to have a saftey inspection and to pass it needed new rear brakes, so after putting on new drums, shoes, parking brake cables and all the other rear brake springs it now skids the front tires first but the brake light comes on and it does not seem to have the same brakeing power as before?!?!?! I would really appreciate some advice. ROB
gmc-rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 08:17 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

The bed is fairly easy to remove. Eight bolts and the wiring should be the only things holding it on unless something has been added. Sometimes bumpers lack clearance, but you can check that. We try to have (4) people to lift it off or we have used
two chain falls at times

It sounds like you have not got the rear brakes bled completely.
The prop valve can interfere when you bleed the rears. We usually bleed at the line where it connects to the prop valve and then bleed at the rear wheels. We use submerged hoses to avoid getting air back into the system and then just pump until
the air bubbles are gone. At the front we hook a hose up and submerge it into the master cylinder and pump gently, (if you pump hard you can shift the valve in the prop valve).

At the rear wheels we put the hose on the bleeder and put the hose into a container of clean brake fluid and then pump the brakes. A power brake bleeder also works well if you have one available.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote