The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
short66sickfleet

Arrow 66 Front Bags?

Can someone help with an answer Please. (in my pic: the rear air is @ 1/2 total psi) and i am looking to find out how low it will be on front tire if i use bags only? On a 66, if I run Air bags on the Front End would I still need to run Spindles to get it semi lower than the pic? Do I really need spindles? Just not sure if bags alone will get this truck in a low stance. I would appreciate the help! I'm stoked on this forum
Attached Images

1960 l.b fleetside,orginal#matching,soon tb copped,& stay original#match truck.

Last edited by short66sickfleet; 01-30-2005 at 10:47 PM.
short66sickfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
scottyd

here was my truck bagged with stock spindles, i cut the bump stops off in the front too........you can gain about 2" drop by doing this, that is, if you make your own bag mounts like i did..... if not youll have to modify the ones you buy to make the bag sit lower in the lower control arm (because more than likely they will be set up to bottom out on your bump stop) .....youll still have plenty of lift and all.... itll just allow the truck to lay a little lower....mines a 62 but i changed the front suspension to a later model....but it should be pretty close to the same as yours... ALSO i have to point out that with my front set up like this, with my bags down i only had about an inch before my front crossmember was on the ground.....so the spindles would really be a waste......unless you did something to move the crossmember up I.E. z'd frame or recess crossmember into frame...
Attached Images

Last edited by scottyd; 01-31-2005 at 12:04 AM. Reason: i messed up ;)
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:26 AM   #3
short66sickfleet

Talking

Hey Scottyd,very cool ! Thanks for the answer and usual pics of what you are saying. you have been lots of help to me. Your tRuck looks just like mine in your pics-Up, Down & Down then up again..Exact same height in Front and Rear. Sweet..My bags in rear R 2/3 back from X-member to axle,inside frame. It looks like yours R n same location. Have you ending up Z-ing your frame (now) so you can put it in the dirt?? How big is your tubb? I am running 18.5 on the 66".
Old 01-31-2005, 09:46 AM   #4
scottyd

your welcome! yeah i z'd the frame 4 1/2", im redoing my back link setup to get more lift....my tires are 31x18.5x15 mounted on a narrowed nine inch ford.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:09 PM   #5
short66sickfleet

Great. Nice wheel size. Their is always more work to do! I am also runing 18.5 on 15's,with no frame narrowing,I just cut it up and Over axle Box (don't know what you call that). I had to do the 58 frame twice Anyway my 58" I did a serious new frame with 4-link, nawrrowed it in, & shortened the ford 9" to 42". I am running strange axles,5/8 studs. 33x19.5, But will fit 21.5 as soon as I can fry the 19's -Stay Cool.