The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2005, 01:31 AM   #1
Ryanwizlee

Overdrive Manual Transmission Conversion?

Hi, I have recently purcahsed a 72 c10 Burb. I am very happy with my purchase because it has many of the things I was looking for; ps, pb, dual a/c, rear style tailgate/hatch, 3/73 gears. The only things that it doesn't have are tilt wheel and manual transmission. Here is where my question comes in. I am looking to convert the hydromatic 350 to a getrag manual 5 speed out of a 90's model chevrolet pickup. I know that so far I will need to install a hydrolic clutch master on the Burb. Some other things I am not quite sure about is whether or not the transmission shaft will slide into my v8 350 and if I will have to have the driveshaft cut down or get a longer one? Also I am not sure if I could just get the clutch pedal off of a truck with a 3 on the tree and that maybe I could make the hydrolic master work with it? I would also like to go ahead and change the steering column to a tilt manual or automatic column that had no shifter on it? The more I try and go over this conversion the more it seems that thier may be different ways of doing this. If anyone has put a getrag 5 speed manual transmission into a suburban or truck could someone maybe give me some hints about what I may be getting into. Therefore I can start trying to aquire all the neccasary componets. Thanks Ryan
Ryanwizlee is offline   Reply With Quote