The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2005, 12:49 AM   #1
Primered_69

Question for frame gurus. OR How smart are you?

Background:

I have a 1969 lwb frame with leaf springs in which I relocated the gas tank into. There is a crossmember before and right after the tank. The first crossmember has a bracket to hold the rear brake line.

I also have a 72 frame with leaf springs I am swapping over to. However there is no forward crossmember in front of where the gas tank will be. Instead there is just a small tab where the brake line attaches to the frame.

Question for the experts:

Do I need to swap out the crossmember from the 69 frame to the 72 frame to still be able to use it with the blazer tank or is this unnecessary? Will the Blazer tank slide w/o the other crossmember there in case of an accident? I already took out the spare tire thingymijiggy.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:08 AM   #2
farmaller

If there is no cross member in front of the fuel tank what are you going to mount the tank straps to???
Old 02-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
ebfabman

The blazer tank straps go from frame rail to frame rail.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
kwmech

If the frame did not have the x-member in it originally I wouldn't worry about it, however if you are take the member out of the 69 and bolt it in the other.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
farmaller

I learned something new, I didn't know the blazer tank straps went frame rail to frame rail.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:54 PM   #6
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

I swapped my long bed 72 rear leaf setup over to a 69 short bed frame with trailing arms and put the 72 cross member in front of the rear mounted gas tank, made by Fuel Cell Guy. For some reason the 69 frame didn't have the front cross member. It may be that short beds didn't have the cross member but I'm not sure. My feeling is that rigidity is gained by having the cross member.