The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

Rhino Lining Options and Advice Needed

The guys down at NADC welded a metal bed in for me. They are going to give me an extra quart of paint and I'm going to go have it rhino lined. My question is how far up do you guys think I should go with the lining. I'm not sure if I should go on top of the stepside bed rails. I figure that I'll have them go to the top on the tailgate, just as long as you can't see it from the rear.

Just need some ideas.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

i would go all the way to the top of the bed rails, and over the top. the horizontal part of the bed sides get beat up.

what about wood beds? has anyone lined one?
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
gr8scott51

I stopped mine about 4" down on the side, so it lines up with the seam on the box front.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i would do the entire inside of the bed...up to the tops of the inside all around...mt dave is right tho you could prolly use the extra protection ontop of the rails too

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

On my 2002, I had it Line Xed over the bed rails. looks good and stops you from scraching the top of the bed when pulling stuff over the side.
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
C10 Club Tennessee

That's what I was thinking I'm just not sure how it will look. I guess it can't look that bad because it's the same color.

www.gmtruckshow.com

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
Old 02-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #7
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Yellow69,

If your dead set on Rhino Lining please make sure they put a heavy dose of UV coating over the liner or else in a year or two the color will change by several shades. Lack of UV coating will also turn the liner into dust.

I had the bed and rockers on my 78 K10 done when I lived in Detroit. The dealer (Zeibart in Royal Oak) did a horrible job and looks like they applied it with a mop then after spending the extra money for UV coating, it changed colors from a nice shiny gray color to a faded dusty color even though the truck spends 99.9% of it’s life in a garage. Zeibart wouldn’t stand behind it and Rhino Linings of USA wouldn’t stand behind it. The funny thing is gray is actually the natural color of Rhino Lining not black as you would imagine.

I don’t want to bore you with the whole story (and there is much more) of my Rhino experience but if it were me….I would never use a Rhino Lining USA product ever again. I feel it is my duty to stray as many people possible away from Rhino Lining. I hope they enjoy my $1000 bucks because I enjoy bashing their product.

Pictures of the truck are in my sig.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:50 PM   #8
Misled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2
what about wood beds? has anyone lined one?
I just bought a business that sprays http://vortexsprayonliner.com liners. Although I haven't done any yet, the Vortex can be used on wood and concrete decks. The wood on truck beds would be no different. Proper preparation is the key to a good job.

On the restoration of my son's 70 K20, we plan on spraying the underside of the bed (metal parts), and then maybe doing the metal parts of the inside of the bed. I like the look of the wood too much to cover it, although I'm sure it would be more durable.....

Take care,

Misled
Misled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #9
C10 Club Tennessee

I got $365 worth of gift certificates for Christmas to Rhino, so I'm kind of forced to use them. I will definitely make sure the job is done right or I'll be up someones....

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 02-01-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
see ten
WTB this ad

I also had a Rhino Liner installed in my C10 and I think it was a waste of money. It has seperated from the bed and the first thing I hauled in it gouged the floor. No they didn't stand behind it. What good is a guarantee if they won't back it up? Stay away from the Chattanooga dealer, they are the ones who shot mine.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:20 PM   #11
smitty62

See ten--just curious--did you write Rhino's home office? (Letters are harder to ignore than calls or e-mails). I had trouble with Herculiner and they jumped right in to correct it.

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:38 AM   #12
C10 Club Tennessee

Here's what it should look like, obviously without the bags
Attached Images

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 02-09-2005, 09:34 AM   #13
4x4Poet

Sell those gift certificates. You'll make a killing on ebay because the shipping will be only postage. Go Line-X. It's da best.

Did you know that Rhino has not updated their formula in decades? They were one of the first, but not the best anymore. Rhino is put on cold, I believe by mixing the urethane with the hardener at the nozzle. Line-X goes on hot. This means Line-X can premix the urethane & hardener prior to spraying since the heat keeps the hardener from doing it's thing. At least, that's my understanding.

From the results perspective, AFAIK, only Line-X has the capability to produce a smooth, or otherwise even, texture on vertical surfaces (sprayed in vertical position). All the other "bedliners" look like barf on vertical surfaces. Most look like barf everywhere. If you have a Line-X business near you, go for a briefing. They'll no doubt have product on display. I would expect the price to be more, gift certificates excepted. I think you get what you pay for here. Absolutely not affiliated.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #14
chevybill

someone with a positive rhino story

I have had my rhino lining for 5 years now and it has stood up to metal fence posts, rolls of barbed wire, grease, gas, diesel, and battery acid. My was a dark grey when aplied and it is still the same color today. It has only faded very little, if any. The tupelo ms dealer installed mine about 2 weeks after I bought the truck brand new special order.

I am completely satisified with the rhino lining, it has not came loose, nor has it been punctured by anything I have hauled and it is a full 1/4 inch thick and just like armor. You cannot slip down on this material even when it is wet.

If applied correctly, it is fully as good or better than any other liner on the market today.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:21 PM   #15
C10 Club Tennessee

It sounds alot of the problem that people have with rhino lining is the particular dealer that it is doing the job. The rhino lining dealer that I'm using is only going to charge me $75 to do color if I supply the paint. The Line-X wants $200.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 02-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #16
Mudder

I used Rhino to coat the insides of my stepside fenders. I wanted some thickness there to prevent rock dings. For about 75 bucks I think it was a very good investment. I think it ha a lot to do with getting the preparation done right.

Last edited by Mudder; 02-09-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:59 PM   #17
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten
I also had a Rhino Liner installed in my C10 and I think it was a waste of money. It has seperated from the bed and the first thing I hauled in it gouged the floor. No they didn't stand behind it. What good is a guarantee if they won't back it up? Stay away from the Chattanooga dealer, they are the ones who shot mine.

If they fail to honor their guarantee take them to small claims court.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #18
Ironhorse

Can't say about Rhino liner but I had my '71 4x4 Line-ex coated last year. Looked at Rhino and Line-ex both and Line-ex had the better look and cost about the same. Glad I went the way I did. Got to watch the entire process from start to finish. Spray guy said " If it is good, you'll tell people about Line-ex. If it is bad, you'll tell a LOT of people about Line-ex." True story, word of mouth advertising does work. Very satisfied with it. Not cheap but well worth it when investing all the time and money it takes to restore a truck.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:12 PM   #19
CHEVYE
my gas saver

hey bryan, i`ve seen both (both were nashville sprayed too). there is no comparison between the 2. the line-ex is far superior in look and quality.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #20
incoma

I had line-x installed in my truck. I forgot to tell the guys to mix some paint in with it though, so I've got a wonderful black liner in my green truck. They also sprayed over my bed sides. I don't mind that too much either. I think my liner cost $300 at the same body shop that painted the truck.
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote