The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2005, 12:06 AM   #1
cali_surfer

Visited by the electrical gremlin

I need some help everyone. I just got done doing some work on my truck.... replaced the alternator, change oil, change tranny filter/gasket. For some reason, the headlights don't work now. Let me explain. I got all my mechanical stuff done, test the alt to make sure its charging by putting a full load on it--turn on all accessories including lights, a/c, radio, etc. Everything worked great, alt was putting out right voltage, so I was happy. Left the truck at my buddy's shop (where I was working on it) overnight. So today I go out to get it and I pull the headlight switch to park lights, they work, but then when I pull to headlights the park lights go off but headlights are on. I scratched my head and shut the switch off. I pulled it in and out a couple more times and had similar luck, then it blew the headlight fuse. Oh, I might add I have a Painless wiring harness. I bought a new switch, installed it, same problem. While working on it I hit the horn button (grant steering wheel) and that didn't work either. What gives? Everything else works though, my brake lights light up when the peddle is pushed and the turn lights flash when activating the turn switch. I didn't touch the electrical system when doing my work, weird coincidence!! Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
70_K20_SanDiego

I just posted EXACTLY the same question a couple minutes ago. Did you EVER have them working properly? I have not hooked up the horn, but I wonder if there is some wiring problem from the Factory.... Let me know if you found out anything. I am going to go over my wiring tomorrow completely.

My fuse didnt blow though, I only left them on for about 10 or 20 seconds.

I am going to email Painless with our problem and will let you know if I find anything

Good Luck,

Dale
Old 02-12-2005, 03:57 AM   #3
cali_surfer

I just saw your post. Funny, I'm going to try to troubleshoot tomorrow as well. If I figure it out I'll definitely let you know, please do the same!! I'm frustrated!!
Old 02-12-2005, 04:31 AM   #4
69 Short Fleet

The horn, cig lighter, and dome light shd be all on the same circuit. As far as the headlights go it sounds possibly like one of the headlight wires is shorting out... you might want to look at the complete wiring harness, check all connectors, and check all grounds a second time.
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Also might want to check the dimmer switch, these can stick and no headlights will work, check one of the single wires for power, if the circuit is good there should be power in and out of the switch, if its stuck there will be only power at 1 wire, my buddies truck did this and we cleaned the switch and everything was good..no power at the dimmer, then go to the headlight switch,,,,,
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote