The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2005, 07:11 AM   #1
Woogeroo

Question '65 c10 chevy - wipers flying off in the rain! EEK! HEEEELLLLPPPPPP! please?

'65 c10 chevy - wipers flying off in the rain! EEK! HEEEELLLLPPPPPP! please?

holy flying wiper blades batman!

so I'm cruising to work in a moderate rainstorm - coming down good but not a 'gully washer'... WHAM - driver side wiper blade flies off lands on the hood.

I roll into gas station - put it back on - roll back down the road - get about 1/4 mile - ZING off it goes and into the road - it's raining, it's dark, it's a 5 lane road - BAH. I ain't getting hit by Atlanta moron Camry drivers over a wiper blade....

so - I had this issue last Saturday morning during our little southeastern ice storm - that particular wiper blade - I jsut put on last September or so - when my last drive side wiper blade flew off on a major highway - while I was zooming along at a blistering 35 mph in a gully washer torrential downpour...

So...

if you have a 60-66 truck or... maybe they chenged the wiper blade setup somewhre in there, I dunno - but if you have a '65 c10 - what wiper blades do you use?

I'm sick of this zinging off of the blades.

Anyone have any parts numbers for me? Could ya find out? I really want something that works. I mean, going to the store and looking in the book or askign doesnt' seem to help much so far... I have NAPA, advance auto aprts and autozone nearby.. and a pep boys is around here somewhere...

Thanks - right now I have no wiper blades... long boring story - need new blades.

Thank you very much.

-W

Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
60-66 Nut
Professional Beer Tester

Sorry to hear about your luck there, Woog. I've seen some crappy universal aftermarket arms that used a bushing to fit the small shaft splines on the 60-66 trucks. Maybe that's what you had. I think I've seen original re-pops in the LMC catalogs or somewhere. Best of luck, anyhow.

60-66 Nut
65 C80 409 V8 5spd(X-Firetruck)
83 GMC 350 Olds Diesel
85 GMC Short Bed
86 GMC Short Bed
90 GMC R3500 Crew Cab
92 GMC 1500
60-66 Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
apachetrucks

Hey Woogeroo,there is some wiper refills for your truck on Ebay.The item number is 7952041701.They match a set of arms also on Ebay and that number is 7951412960.
What happens most of the time is the tension spring in the wiper arm just loses its abilty to hold the wiper firmly to the glass and that allows the wiper to fling off.
I had the same problem and replaced the springs,that fixed it!!
Do you know if you have the original wiper arms on your truck? I have GM part numbers but they wont cross with anco or newer trico numbers you normally find at Auto Zone and stores like that.
Good luck and I hope this helps.
apachetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
Woogeroo

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachetrucks

What happens most of the time is the tension spring in the wiper arm just loses its abilty to hold the wiper firmly to the glass and that allows the wiper to fling off.

I had the same problem and replaced the springs, that fixed it!!
Do you know if you have the original wiper arms on your truck? I have GM part numbers but they wont cross with anco or newer trico numbers you normally find at Auto Zone and stores like that.
They are quite possibly the original arms - the metal pieces that connect to the round parts under the windshield. I'll look into replacing those springs.

Thanks folks.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote