The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
hot!rod

Steering Column Question

Wow! What a message board. I just found it. You all are awesome and knowledgeable. Which leads me to my question. I've got a 72 C10 with a "late model" steering wheel. Somebody didn't put all the pieces back in it at some point in time. I am posting a picture of my column. After I removed the wheel, I was exposed to the turn signal switch. No lock plate or anything. So I am trying to put the right parts back in it. All the lock plates I have seen are splined and the retaining clip keeps it and the cancelling cam compressed. As you can see, my column isn't splined, it is fine threaded. What do I do and what am I missing? PLEASE HELP, SOMEBODY. PLEASE.

Thanks in advance,
Brad
hot!rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

welcome to the board. to me it just looks like you are missing the part that holds the bearings in and transfers the power for the horn, but there are guys that are alot more knowledgable than i. so ttt for ya

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

Welcome to the board from West MIchigan!

You have a tilt column and what is missing is the spring and cancelling cam. The steering wheel holds the cam in place. Your column does not have a "lockplate".

You will need a spring (goes on first), a cancelling cam (next), and then the steering wheel. The spring and cancelling cam have to be for a truck or van tilt column.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

Hey, Welcome to the board from South Mississippi! "Unofficial" board rules say you must post pics of your truck.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Jim has you on track there...however, the cancelling cam has to be off that style column. If that is a tilt column, you'll need one off a tilt with no ignition switch in it (72 - 81 van) if it isn't a tilt, then I can sent you the part you need. (Although I agree and am 99% sure that is a tilt)

In my picture here, you'll see 3 horn slip rings. The one on the left, is out of a van column, the center one is from a 92 S-10 Blazer, (the donor for my steering wheel in one of my trucks) and on the far right, one from a non-tilt column.
What ever column you have in your truck, you'll want to use the slip ring that was on it...esp if you have a non-tilt truck column. If you look at the bottom of the slip ring on the right, it is tapered. This end fits into the bearing and acts as a race. If you use the wrong one, the bearings will be unsuported, and the shaft will flop up and down to the point that the turn signals will not cancel properly, and you'll swear that your wheel is about to fall off.

Welcome to the board from central Ohio...where you located?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 12:20 PM   #6
hot!rod

Okay here are the pics (work in progress):

Anyway, yes it is a tilt column. I have the spring (he was nice enough to put that back in). I have a cancelling cam, but it obviously isn't the right one. It looks just like the one in the middle picture. Those threads are actually pretty long. If I put the wheel on and it bottoms out on the splines, it is not even close to the cancelling cam (keep in mind I have the wrong one). Is there another spacer or spring of some sort that goes between the wheel and cancelling cam? I ask because the cancelling cam on the left doesn't look any deeper than the one in the middle. I am terrible at explaining things, but the cancelling cam will have to be compressed down there a good ways to make contact with the horn "stud". If it is that far down, will the wheel still reach it? I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. I knew I was at the right place.

Thanks again,
Brad

Oh yeah, I'm in norhteast TX.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:34 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have 2 questions for you... is that a chrome radio delete plate? I've been looking for one of them for a few years. Also...is that a real Cheyenne and did it come stock with the step side bed? Some argue that it wasn't avalible, but I say it is true...just need to find an original one to back me up.
Either way, that truck looks totally bad ass.

I can't answer your Q on that...however, I'm willing to bet some one else can. You could go to the 67 - 72 parts board, and do a wanted to buy thread and get the one you need. I'd bet less than 10 bucks shipped too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 01:15 PM   #8
hot!rod

That delete plate looks more like it has been covered by a thin film of foil lookin stuff. It looks perfect so I am scared to take it out and look at it for fear I will never get it back in without putting some sort of wrinkle in it. I couldn't begin to tell you about the cheyenne/stepside thing. I am new to the restoring scene, but this has always been my favorite body style. I traded an old roadster for this thing and intended to sell it after putting a motor in it, but it sure has grown on me! I don't know what options came with what, but it does have air and tilt if that means anything. I also have a question about the gauge cluster. My wiring diagram shows to have a "gen. lamp". I ain't got one on my cluster. There is a "temp" light. Any ideas on that one? I can live with that, but the steering column thing is driving me nuts.

Thanks again,
Brad

I need front and rear bumpers/roll pans. Any preferences?
Old 02-06-2005, 06:36 PM   #9
hot!rod

Anybody got a picture of this tilt column with the pieces in it? I think I might be gettin close here.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:25 PM   #10
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

I can take a picture but all you will see is the cancelling cam as the spring will be underneath it. I have a feeling you are trying to use the larger fine threads and they are only for the nut that holds the upper tilt shaft bearings in place. Repeating my original post, the spring goes on first, the cancelling cam goes next and then the steering wheel goes last. I did not mention the steering wheel nut or the horn button but I figured that was the easy part.

If you will pm a fax number to me I will fax you a schematic of your tilt.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote