The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
chevybill

Talking Progress on front end rebuild

Hey guys, after a long hard battle with the coil spring compressor, my front suspension is back together. This includes 5 lug rotors, and disc brakes on the front. I may have to do a little grinding between the new spindle and the bottom edge of the top a arm right out on the end where the upper ball joint is located. Will this problem correct itself when I sit the frame back down on it wheels?

Next I will probably remove rear trailing arms for new bushings and por-15 treatment. Looking at rear disc brakes and a posi-traction unit of some type to bolt into the original 12 bolt housing any suggestions. I already have the 5 lug axles for the rear. I also have 3 inch lower springs for the rear, while I used 2.5 drop spindles for the front with stock height springs.

She is going to get in the rear next time boys!!!!!!!
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
chevybill

what is wrong guys --no opinions or input.

18 view and no comments, everybody got lockjaw??
Old 02-12-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
lloyd k

sounds good,i know what it feals like to get something accomplished,excpecially on your own truck!allot of heavy work on the front end too.after you get weight on the front end you shouldnt have any clerance issues.make sure you double check everything-bolts etc.what spindles did you use?
lloyd k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #4
COBALT

Make sure you space out your upper control arms appropriately with some shims before you torque down the nuts on the center bars. I guessed about 3 shims per stud. Also guestimate on how long your tie rods need to be. I matched my new ones up to my old ones before putting the drag link back in, and connecting them to the spindles. Make sure you're torquing everything to spec.

Once you're back down on the ground, and you've confirmed you don't have any clearance problems take the truck to an alignment shop. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200. If you don't do this you'll cause yourself a lot of problems - unnecessary stress on the front-end members, and excessive tire wear.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
chevybill

Talking thanks for the replies

I used classic performance spindles and front brake kit, they had the best price i could find, even though shipping from calif. to missississippi is substantial.

This is a total frame off resto / mod project so I will definetly be going to the alignment shop in due time.

When I disassembled the front end I recorded the shim number and location and number on each side and put them back exactly as they came out.

I still have the steering part of the front suspension to complete.

Last edited by chevybill; 02-13-2005 at 09:50 AM.