The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
COBALT

Original Auto non-tilt Column: Parts Discussion

Ok, I have my column apart down to the center steering shaft, and the outer housing. I got the turn signal housing off with indicator attached, and the shift housing off with the pointer/fiber optic attached.

I noticed right away that the shift lever isn't pivoting on the pin that holds it in the housing like it's supposed to. Therefore, the outer sleave inside the housing isn't gliding along the tube where the lever is connected (via the ball-point end).

Behind the shift housing are two washers: a regular metal one that sits against some tangs inside the housing, and a plastic washer (about 1/8" thickness) with a key lug on the side that orients inside the housing. I don't see anything that helps the lever move the housing back and forth besides the lever. Possibly a spring that I'm missing? Something to keep the housing centered on the tube? If it binds up I guarantee it won't glide smoothly. The lever literally won't budge backward or forward. To get the truck into Reverse I have to force the lever, which isn't good for the housing.

It seems like that double-washer setup needs to be different for this to work properly. I don't see how the current setup could be correct.

I need someone who's taken these apart before to explain to me how the shift housing is supposed to be assembled to the column, and whether or not there's a spring involved. Either that or someone with a spare column and some spare time could go turn some screws, and drive out the shift lever pin and tell me how it's supposed to be put together.

What's the deal with these two washers? Are they in correctly? Any help or other discussion about this would be appreciated. My only other option is buying a working column from someone and take it apart to see how it's SUPPOSED to be assembled...
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:18 AM   #2
COBALT

Nobody? I find it hard to believe that no one else has had this problem - especially with these old columns.
Seattle, WA.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:42 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

I can't tell from your description if the washers are in correctly or not but it sounds like they were.

If you have the column out, you should be able to see the spring in the lower end that pushes the shift tube and lever tang into the detent. The detent keeps the shift tube in position and when you pull back on the lever it pushes the shift tube downward so that the tang will clear the detent.

I suspect that you are having problems with the shift tube sliding in the lower end. The lower bearing retainer is adjustable and since it also supports the lower end of the shift tube, it should be looked at.

Good luck!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
COBALT

"Lower end" meaning the other end of the steering column? According to the diagrams I have the only spring IS in the bottom of the column, which means I'm not even close to exposing it.

So the shift housing (the housing the lever connects to) isn't supposed to move at all, is it? The tube the lever is connected to is what's supposed to move instead, right? If that's so then the tube in question isn't moving back and forth, which is the reason my shifter is difficult to move in the first place. I need to break it loose somehow...
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 02-13-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
Rod

Here's an article with pictures on rebuilding a non tilt gm column...car type but may be applicable.
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/56459/
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
COBALT

Rod: Great minds think alike. I found that article last night around 11 pm. Didn't help much mostly because their ignition was on the column (for a Chevelle), but it did show some pics of the shift tube, which helped me think about the problem a little more. Thanks...

OhioDan: I have good eyes, but they're not THAT good. This page would be useful if it were larger. Hopefully the one you attached was a shrunk copy of the original, because if you try to enlarge this you'll just get garbage.

Well, I figured out my problem. Turns out the pin that holds the shift lever in was bound up somehow. When I drove it out with a punch and a hammer I put the shift lever back in, but used the punch in place of the pin to see if I could get the shift tube to move up and down. It worked just fine. I realized the pin needs to be oriented in a specific way so it will allow free movement of the shift lever. I had it in backwards - at least for my column it was backwards. Once I figured out which way it would go in to give the shift lever play I drove it back in that way. I cleaned all the internal parts, greased them, and put the column back together.

Now it shifts so easily I almost glide right past Reverse. Shifts like a dream.
Seattle, WA.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:24 PM   #7
Rod

I've been searching some posts on a tilt column assembly actually...I thought we had some posts on that, but I dug through lots of posts and never saw much. I'm thinking about grabbing van column and taking one apart once again..this time I'll take pics.
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
Old 02-13-2005, 09:48 PM   #8
COBALT

Not a bad idea. There just isn't many resources out there. What would be cool is a rebuild kit for non-tilt and tilt columns for 67-72 trucks and vans. The kit would have diagrams, instructions, and all the parts you'd need.

Right now you're stuck buying parts from 2-3 different vendors, searching the web or the old books for parts diagrams, and basically spending a lot of time figuring out what you need to do to rebuild your column.

Also, what makes this hard is the fact that the column is so old there's play in it anyway. It's kinda hard to tell if you're fixing it, or making it worse because it's worn out.
Seattle, WA.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:58 PM   #9
Rod

The play isnt hard to fix once you get into the guts of it. Basically tightening things up.
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
Old 02-14-2005, 01:30 AM   #10
COBALT

Well I've noticed now that I have this thing fixed that there's a lot of play in the shift lever between gear selections. There's easily an inch or so of play at the end of the shift lever, and the pointer (while in gear) doesn't point at the selection, unless you take the play out of the shift lever with your hand. Basically, gravity makes the shift lever settle so the pointer looks off...

Another thing is there's about 3/16" of a gap between the back of the steering wheel and the edge of the turn signal housing. The wheel is seated as far as it will go.

I don't see any way of fixing either of these things given the design and age of the column.
Seattle, WA.