The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2002, 09:49 PM   #1
PitterPats72

Question Guess what....HEI ran BUT.....

Guess what guys???? I changed the spark polug wiring to the configuration of a point dist and GUESS what:...it ran BUT also I couldn't get the dang thing to turn off... pulled the key and everything. I piulled a plug wire and then the battery cables (both) and it kept on running. Eventually I had to pull the T connector on the front of the carb. That was the weirdest thing, especially when I had the keys in my had and it's still running.

Any ideas now about the spark plug wiring????

Thanks again,
pat
73 VW Super Beetle -New to me- Bought from original owner!
84 Honda Nighthawk (2500 mi.)
I know too much foreign stuff; I've owned American too and they lasted
just as long.
PitterPats72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 10:04 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Leave the wires as they are. Who cares if it isn't wired like a later model vehicle?
Your run on is becouse the wire you plugged into the dizzy is hot at all times. You'l have to do the under dash boogie again and plug it into one of the IGN-UNFUSED terminals. If it is in one already, your harness is messed up.

Old 05-29-2002, 10:10 PM   #3
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

if it's running with the switch off, couldn't she pull the wire from the fuse block to see if she has constant power? (it should die when she pulls the wire right?)

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 01:46 PM   #4
BigJackDaddy

Your engine Run-on is not unique if your truck has the alternator "idiot" light. The purpose of the light is to prevent the backflow if electricity in the alternator excite circuit. If the light bulb is omitted from the conversion, the engine will continue to run even after the key is turned off due to the backflow of electricity from the P1 terminal on the alternator to the "ACCESSORY" post on the Terminal Block, and then out to the coil.

By hooking to the radio circuit, you my have bypassed the indicator light, if so equipped. Since you got it running (Congratulations, by the way), you may want to re-connect your wiring to the proper "ign" circuit to see if that doesn't cure the problem.
Old 05-31-2002, 03:06 PM   #5
Mike C

It just sounds like you have the +12v wire to a terminal that is not switched. Make sure you are on the spade terminal marked IGN. While it is common for an MSD to run on with feedback votage from a warning light, it is not possible for such small voltage to trigger an HEI since the only wire is the 12v wire. The MSD is hooked with 10ga wire to a constant 12v source and the activation voltage is miniscule which is why it runs on with feedback voltage.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote