The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
joelboxt
71 Cheyenne SWB Fleetside

Question Crane Cams XR-i Electronic ignition or HEI?

hey was looking to lose the points on my 71 Cheyenne thought about the HEI swap and have seen these electronic ignition boards you add in place of the point? what would be a better way to go? this XR-i unit seems to be decent, moisture, oil resistant. has some sealed case around it.

just wondering how much voltage these things put out? i guess they would put out whatever the stock coil voltage is right?

i know the HEI stuff is about 50,000 volts. but if i go with this crane cams XR-i deal.. i guess i could get a 50,000 volt coil and pretty much have HEI right?

any input would be a big help..

oh and heres the link for that XR-i electronic ignition: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...15&prmenbr=361

thanks

Joel
Old 02-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The cool thing about HEI is you can get parts from any junk yard, and any parts store 50 state wide.
You fry something in an aftermarket deal while driving through a tiny town in BFE texas...you may have to camp out a day while waiting for parts.

Just a thought.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
joelboxt
71 Cheyenne SWB Fleetside

stock points

hey andy,

i could always keep my stock points with me... in the glove box. just in case i guess.

not really sure what to do

thanks

joel
Old 02-13-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

I am running a pertronix system in mine.

BUT Andy is totally right as far as having to wait for replacement parts. If you go to something that is a Point replacement, buy an EXTRA eye, or box or whatever it may be able to blowout in some far off little town..
Years ago, I bought a unit that was Optical, I don't remember the name, But it did go out one day. I was on my way home, only a few miles away from the house. I still had to trailer the car back home.. I bought 2 EYES and never had it happen again..
Remembering this makes me wonder now why I didn't just go to an HEI this time instead of the Pertronix unit???!!!
You can buy high voltage coils for the HEI, they snap into the Top of the Cap. Very convenient..

Even though I run the Pertronix, I would Highly advise an HEI unit.....
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote