The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
RangerVee

Help with stock 4x4 suspension

I've been trying for weeks now to find the correct shocks to replace the stock shocks on my 68 K-10 Pickup.

No one in my small hometown lists any for the front end of a 68 4x4.

They can order rears for 67-72 or fronts for 69-72 but not fronts for 67-68.

Likewise, I come to the same hurdle anywhere I look on the 'net.

I find the same thing with companies I like to use such as LMC.

I bought some a few years back that were not the right length and they blew out within a week. So I cannot go by the ones that are on it.

Can anyone tell me where I can find front shocks for a stock 1968 Chevy 1/2 4x4?

Can anyone tell me exactly what the difference is between the 67-68 front ends and the 69-72 front ends?

Thanks in advance.
RangerVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:20 AM   #2
4x4Poet

I don't know the differences questions, but if you don't find a specific recommendation, you can measure from mounting bolt to bolt. Just measure from center of the top bolt to the center of the bottom bolt. This is your resting length. Then measure from the top of the u-bolt spring plate to the frame. This is your maximum compression distance. The bump stop should stop the axle before letting the u-bolt plate hit the frame. So measure from the u-bolt plate to halfway thru the bump stop. This is probably close to your expected compression distance. Then revisit your shock supplier with the measurements and the mounting bolt diameters. The parts supplier should be able to look up your size shock in the specs page of the shock mfr/distributor that shows the fully compressed and fully extended length of each shock they offer with bushings that take your size bolt diameter. Favor the compression side since compression beyond a shock's limits will destroy it while extention to its limit won't do so easily. Hopefully you'll find a particular shock that can compress to at least half way thru the bump stop but not thru the frame, as you measured, while also dropping down 6 inches from your shock's resting position length..

As a rough estimate to give you an idea, expect the axle at full droop to extend the shock about 4-6 inches from the resting postition. So you'll probably need a shock that travels at least 9-10 inches. Over 10 would be best. I hope I interpreted your post correctly so as to provide this info. HTH

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 02-17-2005 at 06:30 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
RangerVee

Thank you both!
RangerVee is offline   Reply With Quote