The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
Sooner1970_K10
1970 K10, 350, 4spd!

Saddle tank: useability question

I have dual saddle tanks on my truck. Its a 1970 and was fairly well taken care of. The previous owner (the soninlaw) of the original owner who had died claimed that the truck had set since 2000 without much use. I am wanting to start using the saddle tanks instead of the tank behind the seat.

My question is: Should I do any type of tank check or flush before filling them up and using them. Or atleast fill them up and wait for anything inside the tanks to settle? I just assume that old tanks that havent seen much use and are bone dry probably have some crap inside of them.

Opinions anyone?
Sooner1970_K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Its a pay me now or pay me later situation,Change the fuel filter fill them up check for leaks and hope for the best.Or jerk them off take a garden hose and wash them out real good and if they are full of trash get you some tank sealer from Eastwoods and coat the insides then everything will be clean and like brand new.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

The saddle tanks are baffled. Be carefull when you are flushing them, you just might get your garden hose caught in there. It is a task to coat all of the surfaces.

I thought I would be safe for a while by just draining the tank and running double fuel filters. This was a mistake and contamination made it to my carb anyway. Even though I was changing out my filters pretty often.

Inspect the fuel lines under the cab. They are subjected to a lot of heat and road debris. Mine were cracked out. Replace with a marine grade fuel line. Better yet, fab up rigid fuel lines where able.

Hope this helps ya.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:13 AM   #4
4x4Poet

Chancey: Add a filter to each tank's supply line, pour some Heet in each tank, fill with gas, and run 'em dry. Then change all fuel filters before filling again.

Better: Siphon out what gas, etc. you can. Add filter to each tank's supply line. Then add Heet and fill with gas. Run 'em dry. Change all fuel filters.

Best: Rremove them and take them to a rad shop for professional cleaning in their tanks. They'll come back squeaky clean. Then seal them. Add filters to each tank's supply line.

I recommend the clear Fram plastic filters so you can see what accumulates in them. Any brand will do. Fram's the worst, really. I just don't know off the top of my head if Wix or others offer the same filter.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 02-18-2005 at 02:21 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:44 AM   #5
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Poet

Best: Rremove them and take them to a rad shop for professional cleaning in their tanks. They'll come back squeaky clean. Then seal them. Add filters to each tank's supply line.
I have one on my truck. It leaked when I bought it. The previous owner simply filled it and used it first. I quit using it. When I finally got around to doing something about it it had been a while.

I sent it to a radiator shop. They soldered the leak shut, steam cleaned it, then coated the inside.

I was told that most tanks that have sat around are unusable because of the thin gauge metal they used to make them. However most of these aftermarket saddle tanks are heavier and can be cleaned and/or sealed.

Since I cleaned it I only use the filter up by the carb.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote