The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
RShaips

More 700R4 installation questions !

Well I decided to go ahead and put it in. Took the powerglide out in an hour and had my 13 year old son help me put in the 700R4 took about another hour or so, not too bad ! Anyway a couple of questions, first do the tranny cooler lines go back in the same location? top into top and bottom into bottom ? My truck has a throttle rod to the carb and a rod that was hooked up to the powerglide shifter to make it downshift . will I still be able to use my throttle rod to the carb ? and will I eliminate the assembly that went to the shifter on the powerglide ? My driveshaft will have to be cut ,but it has the right splines and fits the 700R4, I didn't think it would. Still not sure which wireing kit to get for locking my torque converter. Thanks for the help !
RShaips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
jetfixr

I am in the middle of a 700r4 install myself. I am pretty much a greenhorn, but I can tell you what I have learned so far. The rod that goes from the drivers floorboard to the carb should be fine, but you will most likely need a TV cable to go from the carb to the tranny, I changed from manual to auto so I had no kick-down rod, but I do know the 700r4s require a TV cable. If the TV cable is omitted or not adjusted properly your transmission can be totally thrashed in no time. I played it safe and bought the TV cable and pressure gauge frome Bowtie overdrives, they are a bit pricey but they make a foolproof setup. Their crossmember also fit like it was factory equipped. I also had to shorten my driveshaft, I had a two-peice and figured it would be a good opportunity to go with a one-peice, had a new one fabricated, 58 3/4 inch from shaft to differential. Bowtie overdrives also sells a lock-up wiring kit, once again pricey, but I guess you are paying for their hassle-free setup. I am pretty new to all this, these are just my observation so far.
jetfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:44 AM   #3
lamar

Did you go from 350 to 700 also? Was wondering about driveshaft being cut, 58 3/4 is what I need? Guess I should wait until it'ls installed completely to have it cut?
Old 02-19-2005, 02:01 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

tv cable

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p3.html
This is a great link to help you but you have to scroll through it to find the 700 r4 advice. If you type 700r4 in the search box at the top of the page it will take you to enough threads to keep you awake til morning.
VV

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:18 AM   #5
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

my conversion was a q-jet/thrbo350 trans to a 700r4. the q-jet i have is from a 79 impala wagon. it has, on the same side as the throttle cable, a little stud that the throttle valve cable clicks onto. the ratio of pull that the stud puts onto the tv cable is specific to what the 700 needs & i was luckey cause my carb already had this. you may be able find these measurements on the net. the tv cable does what the old modulator on a turbo 350 did - regulate pressure in the trans. this governs where/when it shifts up or down & jetfixr is 100% right. you gotta have the tv cable & set it right or poof, no more 700r4. these links:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/83878/

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...78/index1.html

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...138/index.html

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...278/index.html

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...798/index.html

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/se...s=transmission

has tonnes o' good stuff. sorry for just chevy high perf BUT i read my bum off before i did my swap.... like i said, feel free to ask I will do what i can.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 04:49 AM   #6
C10 Club Tennessee

Anybody recommend a kit to rebuild a 700r4 before I put it in?

thanks

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:05 AM   #7
jetfixr

Lamar, I went from a four-on-the-floor to the 700r4. The 700r4 came back about 5 inches more then my old manual tranny. I probably could have gotten away with shortening my front shaft but that would have cost $100, and the custom one peice costed $200, I make little upgrades on this truck as I go along so this was a no-brainer. From my research I have read certain 200r4's are the same length as the TH350's so they are a direct bolt-in, but they should be built-up because they are a little weak in stock form. As far as the driveshaft goes, I would wait until you have the tranny in the truck, depending on your ride height your configuration may be an inch or two different then mine was. Mine was a shortbed BTW.
jetfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:27 AM   #8
RShaips

I know that I will need a bracket for my Holley carb for the TV cable,just wondering if I can still retain my throttle rod or will I have to replace that with a cable ? I already had a new driveshaft built for my powerglide I just have to get it shortened a little.To make my powerglide transmission linkage work it looks like I will have to take the piece of of the powerglide and put it onto the 700R4 for everything to fit. In the future I would like to have all 4 gears to shift into but that will require replacing the steering column. No $ for that now. Which tranny cooling line goes where in the 700R4? The wireing kits that I look at on Bowtie Overdrives show some kinda gauge included in the kit , is this what determines shifting pressure points ? Thanks
Old 02-19-2005, 09:48 AM   #9
RShaips

My transmission was rebuilt and used for about 2 weeks before the 89 IROC Camaro it was in was wrecked. It already has a TV cable installed, do I need to remove the cable and pan to install one of the wireing kits or should I leave it as it is and just hook it up? the kits I see all seem to have parts that go inside the pan.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:44 PM   #10
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShaips
Well I decided to go ahead and put it in. Took the powerglide out in an hour and had my 13 year old son help me put in the 700R4 took about another hour or so, not too bad ! Anyway a couple of questions, first do the tranny cooler lines go back in the same location? top into top and bottom into bottom ? My truck has a throttle rod to the carb and a rod that was hooked up to the powerglide shifter to make it downshift . will I still be able to use my throttle rod to the carb ? and will I eliminate the assembly that went to the shifter on the powerglide ? My driveshaft will have to be cut ,but it has the right splines and fits the 700R4, I didn't think it would. Still not sure which wireing kit to get for locking my torque converter. Thanks for the help !
Cooler Lines for the 700R4 and 200R4:

On the 700R4 the bottom fitting on the right side of the transmission is the "out" line to the cooler and the top fitting is for the return line from the cooler.
This is the copy and paste from the website I gave you in my previous post. Did you not go there and read it. I have a 700r4 in my 67 stepside and I used the throttle rod that was in the truck. You have several options on the lockup kit depending on how sophisticated you want it to be. I will try to link you to some websites but most of them have already been mentioned it other threads. Did you type 700r4 in the search box at the top of this page and go read the posts? Look for one by Project70, It is very informative and has some great links.
Vettevet

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 02-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #11
RShaips

Lots of information ! Basically I need an adapter for a Holley carb for the TV cable, and new linkage to go from shifter to transmission, I am still not sure what I need as far as a wireing kit, will I need to take the pan off and install it or can I use mine as it is since it already has the TV cable installed.Otherwise everything is as clear as mud!
Old 02-19-2005, 03:14 PM   #12
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

700r4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShaips
Lots of information ! Basically I need an adapter for a Holley carb for the TV cable, and new linkage to go from shifter to transmission, I am still not sure what I need as far as a wireing kit, will I need to take the pan off and install it or can I use mine as it is since it already has the TV cable installed.Otherwise everything is as clear as mud!
http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.html
I found another site for you that explains how to adjust the TV cable and other important info. The bracket you need for the Holley carb is available at Bowtie Overdrives and TCI automotive and NAPA can get one too. They also sell various lengths of tv cables. The main things you need to pay attention to are- Make sure the throttle rod opens the carb to wide open throttle and be sure the carb linkage pulls the TV cable all the way out at WOT. The website I linked explains this better than I can as it has great pics. It also tells you about checking line pressures with a gauge as the tv cable is extended.
I found this note that I copied to my documents and I believe it is from one of the members on this forum. I wish I could give credit to him but it is only signed by Mike and I didn't link the thread so thanks Mike?.

Great topic. Even if you have a trans with the elect speedo you can swap out the parts from an older 700R4 with a mechanical speedo and make it work. I saw a thread on here or somewhere about it. To enable shifting into all of the gears all you have to do is check where the rod coming from the column attaches into the cross shaft and drill another hole about a 1/2" closer to the selector shaft and attach your rod into it. This changes the geometry (the angle of the dangle) and will give you more swing with your shifter and you can get all the gears. If you have an older 700R4 with the rear mount cast into the tail shaft housing you can use the turbo 400 position to mount your rear cross member. Most of the later 700's have the mount in the trans case directly behind the pan and you will have to drill new holes in the frame using this mount. Hope this helps.
Mike

Hope this helps and btw I take no responsibility for anything in this post so use it at your own risk. LOL
VetteVet

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 02-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #13
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

carb adapter for Holley

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/pe...automotive.htm
Here is one source for the TV cable and adapter for your holley along with a ton of other good information. Click on transmission parts prices.

VetteVet-old and gotta take a nap now

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 02-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #14
RShaips

OK, I know you guys are getting tired of me, but..... My powerglide linkage won't work to hook up the shifter, what should I try to get? The tranny that I have, used to have a floor shifter, so I need a different piece for the tranny and also the piece that rotates on the piece mounted on the frame. I was looking at my 86 4x4 and it has a fork piece on the tranny and a different stlye connecting piece. I think that this would work on my 67, any suggestions as to what works best ?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:51 PM   #15
sixty8c10
MY EX DRIVES A BROOM

i got most of my linkage for my swap from a 71 chevy c10 that had th350 in it if you can find this it will work for you as well.......i also think that lokar makes linkage for this swap.......randyc10 has the lokar floor shifter in his stepside and it looks great...the choice is yours

Building Nemo -1968 C10 Long Bed

FRED -1947 KB-2 International
sixty8c10 is offline   Reply With Quote