The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

Rotate Dana 60 front axle?

I want to rotate the pinion a bit on a Dana 69 front to get the driveline up out of harms way. Because the spring perch is part of a casting, I was just going to get some wedge shims and ari-arc the welds off the ends to rotate the king pins.
Questions:
How much? i.e. what degree wedges? I was thinking 15 degrees, but the parts house only goes to 8 degrees. Am I going overboard with 15? I have a 6 inch lift, but I 15 looks about right. I put longer shackles on which pointed the pinion down a little.

Once I arc the welds off, are the ends hard to move, like pressed on hot with a huge press, or will they rotate easy?

Thanks in advance.
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

you cant just put wedges between the front springs and the housing on the passenger side, you have to have a spring plate made with the same taper as the wedges, otherwise when you tighten it down, the load wont be properly distributed on the bolts that go into the housing.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:56 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

If you really want to get into this serious of a surgical procedure, do it right.

You really should have the casting side (pass) machined to the new angle. Then cut the pad off of the driver's side and weld it back at the right angle too. Trying to rotate the ends will prove to be the hardest (and most important) of the job. If you don't get the caster right, it will never handle right. Also you need to be concerned about lubrication. The more you raise the pinion the more you move the outer bearing out of the lube. It may not be as important on the front as it is in the rear (because of use) but it is still a factor.

The only way I have seen it done successfully (rotating the ends) is to cut the axle housing (tube) and weld it back together.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

Thanks Jeremy,
I was going to put opposing wedges top and bottom so the studs were loaded evenly as you describe. I think I can get steel wedges and weld them to the spring plates, which are the plasma cut steel things off Ebay.
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote