The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
53burb

starter

Guys,
More problems with the 'Burb. It has a 350. A few days ago, it started making a noise as if the pinion gear on the starter was hitting the flexplate. When I originally replaced the starter a couple of months ago, I used the same shim from the original starter, and it seemed perfect. I tightened the starter bolts when I started having the problem. They really didn't need tightening. The problem went away. But then it started again. I used more shims on it this time. Yesterday, it wouldn't turn the flexplate. Looking at it from underneath, I used a remote starter, and I could see that the pinion gear was hitting the front of the flexplate and not engaging the teeth. I turned the enginge by hand, tried it again, and it cranked fine. I asked a few people here at work about this, and they said they have never heard of a bent flexplate. The teeth are all fine on the flexplate. I looked at this about a week ago. I am going to check the tightness of the flexplate tonight. Is it possible that the shaft or related parts on the starter is bent. I got it from Checkers about a couple of months ago??
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=starter
Try here for what fixed my problems for me.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
53burb

Thanks for the help, but I spun my flexplate the other day and it appeared fine. I will take a look at it again and make sure it is tight. It doesn't make sense to me why it would work fine one day but not the next.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

More than likely it's not the flexplate, but check it anyways. Also check to make sure the clearance between the starter gear and the flexplate is correct. Check the gear on the starter to make sure it's not worn. Mine when the starters were new had just enough tooth mesh to spin the flexplate, then the gears would jam and clash (tips on tips). In the process of figuring mine out I managed to break the shaft on the starter, wear the teeth off of several starter gears and even lost the bushing out of the nosecone once.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 02-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
kaycee

Thumbs up

I ended upgetting 4 starters from them before I finally got a good 1 it lasted a coupla yrs.I went to NAPPA and got 1 for my 69 and it lasted allmost 2 months,it finally wore down the teeth on my starter went to carquest and got 1 and it seems to be working like it should.There is a brace on the front of the starter that goes to the block do you have this??
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:37 PM   #6
mr402

Maybe you need to go to one of those places that offer a life time warranty on this stuff. Kragen/Shucks/whoever does. I had a mopar w/360 that went through starters about every 9-12 months. Didn't seem to matter where I purchased it either. That warranty was well worth it. I got to the point where I could change that thing out pretty quickly.
mr402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

While I have no ideas, I want to comment non that napa startkaycee bought.
They suck. Don't buy starters, alt, or batteries. They all totally suck, and I wouldn't recomend them to anyone.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:35 AM   #8
53burb

My starter does have a Lifetime Warranty from Checkers/Kragen. I figure if I take it to them, and they test it, will be ok. I really just don't want them to hassle me about getting a new one.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:04 AM   #9
53burb

Sorry I didn't update this earlier, however, I replaced my starter after I had my problem. The nosecone on the starter was cracked, so I assumed this was my problem. The replacement started didn't cause me any problems for about a month or less, until yesterday. Same problem as before, just not as bad. According to the Checkers/Kragen website, my flexplate should be a 168-tooth. The engine was replaced by the PO, so I don't know what I have until I count the teeth. Will a starter designed for the opposite tooth flexplate give me these symptoms I am having, or would there be problems right from the beginning??? BTW, I have a starter brace that I got from another board member that I will be installing when I yank the starter out.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #10
53burb

The flywheel is a 168-tooth. Now I will check the part# on the starter that Checkers gave me.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:21 PM   #11
racer face

If you keep cracking the nose,that tells me that the starters you're getting are the wrong starters.chevy use different noses and off sets.when the starter gear is engaged to the flywheel it is putting pressure on the gear shaft and cracking the nose.if shims have not fixed the problem, you need a different off set. I feel for you, I've been in your shoes.

1968 1 Ton Dually Flatbed 327/th400
1968 C30 Open Road 327/th400
1997 F350 CREWCAB 4X4 460 BIGBLOCK
racer face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:08 AM   #12
krue
Designated A-hole!

Burb that's the exact same thing that happened to me, a starter would last from a few weeks to a few months before it started grinding and making racket. Go to the link I posted above, look at the cast iron nosecone I got for mine and try to get one like it. It's been on there longer than any other starter I have had and it's still works like a charm.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 04-02-2005, 12:26 AM   #13
53burb

I just spoke to Checkers. The starter for a 307 w/Turbo A/T is part#3560S. I will try that one this weekend. I have been using ones for a 350 w/ an A/T. If that doesn't work, then I will have to try one of the starter/alternator places like you did. This is probably what I should have done in the first place. The glovebox sticker doesn't say which engine it had originally, only says it came with a V8.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:40 AM   #14
kaycee

I don't see how that is going to matter but u can try,I would do what crue suggest.
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:40 AM   #15
53burb

One of the reasons I am going to try this one is it specifically lists it for a 400 tranny, which I do have. I am going to look at the bolt holes for it as well. The original starter that was on there had the bolt holes straight across and at the same level. The flexplate also calls for a 168-tooth flywheel, which I have as well. I am also going to call the starter/alternator tomorrow as well. They say they will match any of the parts houses and install it for free. It sounds better now that i think about it. HMMM
Old 04-02-2005, 01:45 AM   #16
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53burb
The original starter that was on there had the bolt holes straight across and at the same level.
The nosecone I wound up with uses the bolt holes straight across instead of the staggered ones.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 04-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #17
Bstang

If it's still possible get the nose off the original starter , have a new bushing installed in the nose and interchange it with your new starter, install the starter with it's original shim (if any) this should do the trick.
Bstang
Bstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #18
53burb

I turned in the original for a core on the first starter. I didn't think it mattered at the time. I thought all starters for SBCs were the same, or at least interchangeable. Apparently not. I called a starter/alternator place today. They said they will exchange mine for the exact same or rebuild my current one. This doesn't help at all. I might try to call back and talk to somebody else or tell them the engine is a 307 instead of a 350.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #19
krue
Designated A-hole!

I just went by my local auto electric and told them what my starter was doing. The guy there (looked like he was older than electricity) when and pulled the nosecone off a shelf and told me it would fix me up....so far he's right.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 04-07-2005, 08:33 AM   #20
53burb

I replaced my starter a couple of days ago. When I first attempted to start it, it screeched a few times. Then it started. I have tried to start it when the engine is cold or hot. It starts with no problems each time. I am not sure why it did that initially. I am going to try to check the clearance on it later today or tomorrow to see if it needs any shims. I used a starter brace this time. Who knows.