The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2005, 12:42 AM   #1
teamharvey

Powder Coat question

What am I looking at ballpark price to get 4 ralleys powder coated ?

Bret
teamharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:10 AM   #2
powell72

Obviously it depends on the shop but mine cost $200.00.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:57 AM   #3
Gary

I bought a powder coat kit and have played with it some and I'm gonna coat my own rims as soon as I can get my mitts on a slightly bigger baking oven. I bought a set of these:
http://www.mydixiesys.com/72_GMC_LWB/newwheels.jpg
But I just KNOW I'm gonna be too lazy to wash and wax these often enough to stop them rusting so I'm gonna powder coat them so they shouldn't rust up on me too fast. I'm contemplating either just powdering them clearcoat or actually color them then maybe clear them too. I'm leaning towards coating the rims glossy black and then leaving the center caps chrome (those are like $8 each to replace so if they rust up $32 later I'm like new) or maybe when I get the truck painted have the caps painted to match the truck and do the rims black or the rims painted to match and the caps chrome or... man this is hard
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
boilerman

Lightbulb Merely suggestions

I haven't powder coated any truck parts, but I have had many railings and gates powder coated. I'm a blacksmith/fabricator, so I deal with protecting steel from the environment all the time. I've found that the clear powder coat looks very "plastic" and doesn't hold up very well in a harsh environment (rock chips, etc.). Unlike paint, powder coating can't be touched up. Once you have a chip, your finish is compromised and rust will bubble up under your finish. My powder coater puts on a zinc primer after sandblasting and then a color powder coat over that. This seems to be a pretty bullet proof solution. If the powdercoat ever chips, you've got a zinc primer underneath to protect the steel.

Note: When I say zinc primer, I'm not talking about zinc plating (a very lumpy and completely different finish. Think chain link fences.). If your powder coater doesn't know what a zinc primer is, they can call Kevin at RMC 206-243-4831.

Hope this helps
boilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:26 AM   #5
GlennBrittain

Cost me $100.00 plus $7.75 tax for 5 wheels that had already been sandblasted
GlennBrittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #6
Swbman

The idea of zinc coating your ralley wheel before powdercoating sound like a good idea.I plan on doing a set,cause I hate the chipping paint, and the cleaning of them.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Suggestions

Boilerman I got a front sway/stabilizer bar for my 72 BB off a 3/4 Ton 1979 Camper Special yesterday and want to detail it. I was thinking of powdercoating it and want to know your opinion. After your comment about chips and seeing this thing will hanging under the truck in your opinion is powdercoating a good idea for me? The truck is going to be a #2 driver so it will be used and driven ,but just on pavement and I dont want to have to remove the bar to touch it up every few years, where if I painted it I could shoot it while it was still on the truck.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #8
boilerman

To Already Gone: Powder coating is very durable, but not infallable. I think with the proper finish (sand blast, zinc primer and powdercoat), your sway bar would be fine. Worst case scenario, you'd have to have it powder coated in a few years. And that's only if your finish is chipped through the zinc primer also. If it were up to me, I'd go for the powder coat and zinc primer.

You could also ask your local powder coater what they reccomend. Shop around and ask for referals. I went through 3 different companies before I found the one I'm using now. I've found that the cheapest, suprise, suprise, was not my best option. The guy I use now is knowledgable, reliable and best yet, affordable.

Hope this helps.

Let me know what you decide and how it works.
boilerman is offline   Reply With Quote