The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2005, 12:36 AM   #1
gil_espinosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrulzk5
hey man the clip fits onto the slider tube ( the parts that the shifter is attached to) it fits on the end just under the plastic cover below the column. note that the clip is going to have to be closer to the right side of the tube so when you pull the shifter down it will pull the string. the best thing to do is put it on while in park so you wont pull it to far and break it. no screws hold it in place so just kinda slip it onto the tube.
Great. I think that's the piece that the column I bought DIDN'T come with. I couldn't figure out how to install it without taking apart the steering wheel. Also, the bar that activates my bright light switch (inside the column) was bent up a little bit and it doesn't retract properly. I have to click the brights on, then retract the bar manually (remember the cover is not on so that's why I'm able to do this), and then click the switch again to turn it off. I'm guessing that after installing the column back, everything is a little tight for the off bar so it isn't able to retract freely.

Can I fix this bar, and the install the plastic cover without pulling the steering wheel and all of that mess?

Thanks a lot.

Gil.
305 Automatic
gil_espinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:14 AM   #2
gil_espinosa

Okay, need some help with the gear indicator ...

I just finished swapping out the column on my 86 Silverado. I've got everything together but the indicator that tells you if it's in park, drive, etc. is helplessly just sitting there.

There is a spring the helps it pull itself back to park, but the problem is when you are putting it in gear it doesn't pull the other way. There is a small wire and a clip at the end of it. Obviously the clip must clip onto something that pulls it in the direction of drive, and then the spring puts it back in the park position.

What does the clip clip onto?????????

A pic would be great, but that's probably asking a little too much.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Gil.
305 Automatic
gil_espinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:24 AM   #3
CbHeEaVsYt
Pick up man

thats probbably broken as they are known to do so yea if u dont see the little clip on the orange ondicater then its prolly broke

cb
1990 k1500

check out this 1957 chevrolet for sale
CbHeEaVsYt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:28 AM   #4
ozrulzk5
What can I do next ????

clip

hey man the clip fits onto the slider tube ( the parts that the shifter is attached to) it fits on the end just under the plastic cover below the column. note that the clip is going to have to be closer to the right side of the tube so when you pull the shifter down it will pull the string. the best thing to do is put it on while in park so you wont pull it to far and break it. no screws hold it in place so just kinda slip it onto the tube.
ozrulzk5 is offline   Reply With Quote