The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2005, 02:59 AM   #1
muddpile

Painting my engine?

What does everyone use to paint their powerplants in their trucks? My old 350 was originally light blue (out of an 80's burb) and at one point in it's life it was spraypained dark blue, but the paint never stuck. I am thinking of going with either chev orange, light blue, or just a basic black or silver. The block, heads and oil pan are what need to be done. Basically, what I'm wondering is what is the prepwork involved and what paint should I use.

Also, while I'm at it I noticed my exhaust manifolds are rusty. Is there any fix for those sort of a good sandblast and some jet coating? The truck will be a driver, and I've heard how fast headers burn through when run on a daily driver, so I think I'll pass on them (plus I have brand new dual exhaust and I doubt it would line up with any headers).
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:23 AM   #2
Jeremy_5
Truck addict

Alot of people have had good luck with por-15 engine paints. Do a search, Txfirefighter had a engine painted chevy orange and it looked great. They have engine kits that comes with everything you need to paint your engine.

Never tried painting my exhaust manifolds but eastwood has some paint for manifolds. Haven't used it personally but have been happy with Eastwoods stuff in the past. http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/pro...iProductID=733

Last edited by Jeremy_5; 02-25-2005 at 03:26 AM.
Jeremy_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:37 AM   #3
dave3156

I had manifolds "Jet" coated before. I took them to a metal coatings place in St. Louis. The maifolds were cast iron and rusty looking. They coated them with a silver finish (inside and out) that they said will never discolor or come off. I match ported them before I took them in. It cost $200. They had another finish that was more that would keep the heat down in the engine compartment. I spent alot of money and time on the engine with ervy single part refinished. It was beautiful when it was done. I have pictures of the mainifolds if you want to see them. Look in the phone book under "metal coating" and there will be places.
dave3156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:08 AM   #4
HeavyD

Hey Mudd, unless somethings changed over the last few years you will have to send those manifolds off to Calgary to be jet coated. Only do it yourself option is to use Eastwood's kit. I have seen manifolds home coated and they look great, but I cannot say anything pro/con about the durability. Apparently the POR 15 kit is supposed to give a real nice finish..will try this myself I think.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

POR 15- absolutely. I'll never use sparay cans again. This stuff is bombproof. Brake fluid, gasoline, carb spray, nothing affects it.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
oj70chevy
250 V-6 Club

where is a good place to get this por-15? also does it come in different colors?

thanks
Ralph
oj70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
Tx Firefighter

I buy mine straight from POR 15. Their phone number is on the website.

All POR 15 distributors are supposed to sell at the same price, so there's not much reason to shop around. POR sets the price on their products.

They have a lot of color options available.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

you can go to the web site and see the colors that they have.

they only thing with POR is that they say to let paint cure for 8days before starting the motor
also the motor needs to be squeky clean.

I painted my motor with POR15 too (Black):
Attached Images

-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:36 AM   #9
farside847

my vote would be to go chevy orange! When I had my engine rebuilt they guy
stripped the engine and cleaned the outside. He didnt sandblast but I think he
used solvent.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #10
Erl

TX Firefighter,
I have bought the POR15 system and will be painting my engine next week. I would like to know you procedure for painting the components. To be more specific, did you assemble the engine and then paint it? It looks like most of the fasteners are painted, before or after assembly? Did you spray paint or brush on the finish? The valve covers look sprayed. I would hate to make a mistake, since this stuff is so hard to get off. I also bought the POR15 gray manifold paint and will post how it works out.
Erl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #11
TEXAS 68
Vortec in the works

I did mine in same color the truck will be with PPG DCC, the most important thing is cleaning, I scrubbed mine three times and still had some problems but not bad for first with DCC
Attached Images

68 Project

68 SWB frame off/98 Vortec with stock FI/power everything.
95 ECLB 2500 with 346,000 on the clock(the original HD)
99 Lesabre-wifes ride
08 Crew Cab LTZ-All Mine
89 SWB 5/7 drop-Son's first ride.
TEXAS 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:55 PM   #12
super72bb

I agree Por 15. Although por recommends brushing it on, it is very difficult to get the paint on the valve covers and pan smooth. No problem on the cast parts. Thin and have it sprayed if you can.
Attached Images

My build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7120181
super72bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:19 PM   #13
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

I went with the hi-temp VHT rattle can - yet to see how it will hold up to actual uses. Sure looks great initially.

Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:16 PM   #14
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

I sprayed mine...this is the only POR 15 paint (Engine Enamel) that you can thin with laquer thinner

I know you asked TX about assembly and painting.
Here's my take on it....
depends on how much detail you want to put into the motor. - i assembled the the entire short block then bolted the pan, timing cover and heads on with a few bolts (ones i had around that i didn't care if they got painted or not - two under the V.C.'s on the heads and a few on the pan and timing cover.) then i masked off the Intake valley, valves/springs if you aren't painting the valve covers and the exahust ports and the water pump holes @ the front of the block.
if your really into the detail like i did on my BBC, i layed a few strips of 2" masking tape across the intake ports on the heads, then set the intake on the motor, and traced around the edges of the intake with a razor blade. then take the intake off, and pull the top part of the tape off. - i did that because the intake doesn't cover the entire intake side of the head (basically cleans it up and prevents it from getting all rusty looking)

and sprayed it. I did the water pump @ the same time..just hung it off a small chain on the motor hoist.

After it dryed a good couple of days i took the motor back apart and re assembled it with the gaskets and all the hardware (i used stainless for most everything (except the head bolts..which are just Black Oxide ARP's))

Doing it this way make the motor look very "detailed" - you can see all the bolt heads and you can see the gaskets (especially if you are using Blue Fel-Pro's) if you don't want to use stainless hardware, you can always take all your hardware punch it through some cardboard and spray bomb them black or silver or to match your truck or whatever

or you can just assemble the engine entirely and paint the whole thing all in one shot, but i would remove the waterpump so you get color behind it.

just my opinion anyway
it is a lot of work to do the "detailed" method but it was worth it to me, because there will be no fenders or hood on my '33 and the motor will be right out there for people to see..so i wanted it to look halfway decent

sorry to steal your answer TX
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered

Last edited by arkracing; 02-25-2005 at 04:20 PM.
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:47 PM   #15
dave3156

Really sounds like good stuff. How does the POR 15 hold up on exhaust manifolds. Anyone have any experience with that?
dave3156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:25 PM   #16
68gmcdually

I am going to use the "Bill Hirsch" line of engine enamels on my truck. I have heard good things about both companies though.

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #17
Tx Firefighter

I brush painted the whole thing all together. 2 coats
Old 02-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #18
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

You might also look into painting the lifter valley, tops of the heads (where the rocker arms go), and behind the timing cover.
Use epoxy paint, and only epoxy paint, to paint the insides. The engine oil will run down out of these areas more easily, and there will be less engine sluge build up.
Make sure it is epoxy paint only. Enamel will flake off and become part of the sludge.
You want to clean the areas you're going to paint with lacquer thinner.
Don't use primer, just shoot on a thin coat, let it get sticky, then spray on the full wet coat.
You can use a rag dipped in lacquer to clean out the lifter bores after you finish painting.

Todd
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:54 PM   #19
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

Great info!I was planning trying out the POR engine paint and now I'm definitely going to.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:03 PM   #20
Harold Shepard

The eastwood manifold paint does not hold up well, so I replaced it with the POR15 manifold paint. The POR is truely the best of the two, the eastwood takes more work and does not hold up as well.
Harold Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:38 AM   #21
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd
You might also look into painting the lifter valley, tops of the heads (where the rocker arms go), and behind the timing cover.
Use epoxy paint, and only epoxy paint, to paint the insides. The engine oil will run down out of these areas more easily, and there will be less engine sluge build up....
Careful. Many V8 street engines need the oil to drain slowly for more cooling of the oil before it reaches the pan. The oil draining down may add to lub needs, too. Race engines can have paint or gyptol-induced, slippery lifter valleys since they have monster cooling systems and don't care about wear & tear on parts that will be replaced soon and don't have 100k+ engine longevity concerns. At least, make necessary mods to allow for fast oil drainback.

On performance engines, lifter valley sludge is most often cause when someone thought a thermostat that opens at a lower temp than oem would make the engine run cooler. The resulting lengthier warmup times kept the oil cool longer, thus enabling sludge buildup. Many short driving sessions that don't bring the engine to operating temp can also aggravate the situation. Too thick viscosity oil for ambient temps can also cause or aggravate sludge build up. Oil change intervals, oil filter quality, oil quality, air filter quality, blowby levels, PCV condition, and any entry ways for dirt into the engine all potentially play a role in sludge buildup. I doubt that unpainted lifter valleys ever cause sludge buildup solely from being unpainted.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 02-27-2005 at 06:00 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:48 PM   #22
saxmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by super72bb
I agree Por 15. Although por recommends brushing it on, it is very difficult to get the paint on the valve covers and pan smooth. No problem on the cast parts. Thin and have it sprayed if you can.
One way to promote "flow out" on the POR15 is to use those cheapie bullet shaped little sponge rollers you can get at hardware store. works great on smooth surfaces.
1997 Ford F150 4.2L 500k+ miles (trash hauler)
2011 Nissan Juke (wife's daily driver)
1943 Ford GPW WWII jeep (waiting its' turn)
saxmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:41 PM   #23
chevytruckfan
Account Suspended

Here my dad painting the engine and trans. We used PPG epoxy primer and paint to match the car color. Just cleaned the surface real well and tape off any areas you dont want paint to get into.
Attached Images

chevytruckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:15 AM   #24
muddpile

I think I'm going to go with the POR 15 on the engine and manifolds and see what happens. Thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:25 AM   #25
Chevyboy1962
C10 now is a GMC

I sprayed mine with a porcelin(sp) high temp Chevrolet orange. Looks good, but turned out crappy on valve covers, but didn't care since I used them just for painting. Here's a pic. I still have to clean the valve covers.
David

*1963 C10 lwb fleetside, small window 230/4 speed...Blvd Cruiser

*1931 Ford 5 window coupe (soon to be Hot Rod)... Father & Son project
Chevyboy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote