The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
TIMSPEED

Exclamation HELP! Lower Alternator bolt sheared in the block!

GRR! The lower alternator bracket bolt (bolts through bracket that connects to water pump, through the lower alternator mount, and to the block) sheared off RIGHT at the block. It won't be hard to get the broken piece out...but my question is, why did it break? OK, well, I know why it broke, it was too sideloaded. It also was ONLY a Grade5 bolt. What I need from yall ASAP, is a picture of how many spacers are on your lower alternator bracket, where it bolts to the water pump. I need to see what size spacers to get, so I can get the lower alternator bracket, lined up with the block, so the next bolt won't sideload and break, Because right now the lower alternator bracket hole doesn't line up with the hole in the block, it's cockeyed.

Last edited by TIMSPEED; 02-25-2005 at 04:49 PM. Reason: forgot a word in the title.
TIMSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:20 PM   #2
RockHQ
ROCKET POWER!

Sorry don't have any useful pictures handy, but if a grade 5 bolt sheared a grade 8 bolt is going to mess up your block AND break. Don't bandaid the problem. Grade 5 is good enough for accessory brackets, just get it all aligned properly
What did i do last nite?

1979 C-10 shortfleet: Olds 350, Th400, 12 bolt
Current project: 1969 Olds 455 W-30, needing a rebuild
RockHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHQ
Sorry don't have any useful pictures handy, but if a grade 5 bolt sheared a grade 8 bolt is going to mess up your block AND break. Don't bandaid the problem. Grade 5 is good enough for accessory brackets, just get it all aligned properly
Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna go to the junkyard this weekend and get the bracket and bolt I need.