The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
schmidty_dog

Locking Hubs

I have a 1980 GMC K15, though it has 77 chevy blazer axles on it. I was wondering what are the best locking hubs to buy for it because it has the autolockers on it and i don't want those. Do I also need a conversion kit or just the hubs? I'm looking at getting Mile Marker Supremes or Warn Premiums or whatever. Thanks, schmidty
schmidty_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Mudder

A good set of Warns should do u good. What transfer case ya got?
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Automatics? are you sure?
Because those wouldn't have come with either of those front-ends.
The '77 is probably a Dana44 and it should have had the normal Spicer hubs.
The '80 would be a GM Corporate front and in '80 most of those were "full time" four wheel drive with NP203 transfer cases. At least the automatic transmission units were and 4 speed Blazers were rare then. So that would be the drive flanges with the flat covers.
If it really has the automatics, someone went to some bother to change the washer in the wheel-bearing nut set..........or they wouldn't work anyway.

Either way, the Warn or MileMarker hubs should do you fine.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
schmidty_dog

First off I have a NP205 transfer case. The problem is that this old girl has all kinds of different parts off of different trucks. The axles should be 1977 K5 Blazer axles, so whatever they had thats what i got. The hub caps don't have the torx screws, they just pop on and off like regular wheel bearing hub caps, so your probly right they are probly the spicers. This is my first 73-87 gm truck, so i mix stuff up sometimes, I thought they were the Auto locking hubs though. Anyways i'm going to get lockout hubs so i guess it don't matter much. Thanks for all the info, and add more if you have any, chris
schmidty_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:11 PM   #5
soleeagle

If they have a cap like wheel bearings then it is probibly a full time axle and needs to be converted over. I have one of these on my Burb now and am having problems finding lockouts local for it. Mine dosnt have the little allan screws but it has the 6 1/4 inch or so bolts on it.

'85 Chevy Silverado 4X4
'91 Chevy 4X4 Suburban

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/545941
soleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:32 AM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The caps are indeed from a full-time axle, which is neither "automatic" nor Spicer. They are just a solid gear with teeth in the outside to match the splines of the inside of the hub and a hole through the middle w/splines for the axle. This locks them together solid. Usually called a drive flange, whether it is internal like these or the external style.
If it really is a NP205, you don't need the "conversion kit", that is for the NP203 trucks. All you need are the hubs themselves.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #7
Destructo

I am using Warn basics and they seem to work pretty well, just make sure you lube them up and the seal is good!

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab 2wd 4-banger, 5 speed, Street Pack with 3.73 axle.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote