The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2005, 04:25 AM   #1
Jimmy Canuck

Exclamation 5 lug 1/2 ton to 8 lug 3/4 ton swap

I am building a 79 1/2 ton 2wd from a parted out 79 3/4 ton 2wd.
I want to use the 8 lug rear end and front, but am not sure how much of the suspension I will need to swap out as well. Will the 3/4 ton spindles bolt up to the 1/2 ton a-arms? Also, will the rear 3/4 ton springs bolt up to the 1/2 ton hangers. Everything is at stock height. I just want the new gm wheels that the new 3/4 tons have.

Also, are the frames on 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons the same? Both trucks had 350's originally.
Jimmy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:11 AM   #2
Big Blue

I have almost the same question. Lets see if we can get an answer.
Mine is, I have a 78 blazer rolling frame.I just picked up a 81-350,3 speed,1 ton utility truck.I plan on using just the engine,cab and front clip. But I was wondering about the rear. Would it be a better rear then the original rear in the blazer. If better how much trouble would it be to switch over??

Thanks..

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:06 AM   #3
u2slow
Web Wheeler

The 3/4-ton arms use greased metal bushings instead of rubber. Swapping the whole front suspension (including the massive crossmeber) will work. I don't know if the larger 3/4-ton balljoints will fit the 1/2-ton arms.

The 3/4-ton axle will bolt in to the 1/2-ton.

The 1-ton axle has narrower spring perches and different shock mounts.

The leaf springs will swap so long as they're the same length... 52" and 56" springs were used. The longer springs are only longer on the back half, so you could cut the rivets and move the rear hanger if need be.

'66 C10 longstep - Clifford equiped
'84 C20 Suburban 6.2L - awaiting 4x4 conversion
'91 V3500 Crewcab - awaiting diesel swap
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:12 AM   #4
Big Blue

Thanks u2slow for responding, Would you know about the rear in the one ton being used in the 78 blazer?

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:09 AM   #5
EricS76

You can use the one ton axle, you just have to weld on new spring mounts in the proper places. You'll also need to change the driveshaft yoke because the u-joint will be a couple sizes bigger on the new axle. I'd try to get the whole driveshaft from the one ton too. If you've got a 2 piece driveshaft, the slip joint at the carrier bearing is the same size for 1/2 - 1 tons. Might be able to use the stock front shaft and the 1 ton rear shaft. I did the opposite when i put a SM465 in my truck. Used the 1 ton front shaft and stock rear shaft.
‘14 Chevy 1500 Z71…
EricS76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Big Blue

Thanks EricS76, I'll have everything from the one ton. I have a two peice drive shaft from another truck. Well see if it worth it, if not i'll put whats left up for sale.
What might be left is the rolling frame, 3 speed,rear, put it this way...all i'm using is the cab,engine,front clip rest of truck is for sale. Before anyone ask the bed is a utility box (READING) in bad shape.

Old 03-05-2005, 02:09 AM   #7
Jimmy Canuck

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the heads up about the 3/4 ton swap.
Jimmy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:47 AM   #8
TRUCKGUY

ok i was wanting to do the same i found me a nice set of 1/2ton springs for my 79 in jcwitney.....and i am wanting to get a 3/4 or 1 ton rear....you just sayed i have to cut for the 1ton but what about the 3/4ton will it bolt right in? the drives saft isnt much of a problem seeing that i got the trans out of a 3/4ton pickup i can get a saft made for it....will it bolt right in other wise?.............

Thank's
66 F100 302/C6/9" short fleet
67 IH 4x2 304/t984speed D44 373 locker lwb box
67 IH 4x4 304/t98 4speed/d44/d60 4.10'slwb box
67 IH Travelall 4x4 304/t98 4speed/12bolt/10bolt
81 2wd short fleet current build!
83 350/700r4 short fleet
88 k5 12" lift 3/4 ton swap mud toy
96 Dodge 3500 CUMMINS/5speed/4x2
97 Pontiac Trans Am WS6/LT1 383/6speed/T-tops
TRUCKGUY is offline   Reply With Quote