The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
kickinasphalt

Options for fixing my factory bench seat???

My 72 K10 has pretty decent interior with a nice black/white/grey houndstooth thats in good shape. The seat itself seems to be worn out because I can feel the spring under the foam when I hit bumps and the foam is quite thin. I was thinking I could pull the seat out of my old beater 2wd since that seat is pretty comfortable (padding seems thicker). I would probably just have the cover swapped. I've seen new foam pices in LMC but they are like $200 which seems a bit much for foam. Are there any other cheaper options out for just repairing the seat or am I better of swapping and recovering. Thanks!
FOR SALE: 1971 K-10 Longbox,350/SM465/NP205
kickinasphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
69 Short Fleet

I repaired the bottom foam section on mine, I think you will have a better idea of the condition of it when you take the uhpolstery off. In my case it was in pretty good shape overall except for a 6'' X 6'' section directly under the drivers buttockall (sp)area (lol) I cut out that section with a sharp Olfa knife (new blade), the vertical cuts were easy (2'' deep) but getting the bottom area flat took a bit longer, once the square was cut out I replaced it with the new patch foam piece I cut (2'' thick camping foamy the dense type). I cut it a little on the proud side (or slightly larger @ 1/8'') and pushed it into place (I didn't use glue). One thing I found was it was WAY easier with 2 people when you install the upholstry, make sure you start in the middle. Find the centre of the seat frame and mark it and alternate from left to right and work your way outward (with the hog rings) Also leave your uhpolstry in the sunlight for a couple hours before to soften it up. Lastly I've heard that the cheaper uhpolstry is not worth buying... you will wind up buying the higher quality and redoing it (seam issues) Here is how mine turned out. http://community.webshots.com/user/2blubudgies Sorry this is so long Josh, Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:59 AM   #3
JBstor

Upholstery work on a stock bench seat is not that hard if you take your time. Don't really force anything, and remember, if it doesnt fit right, you can stop and go back.

One little (and REALLY NICE) trick I learned years ago was to buy an electric knife. You know, the kind your dad carved the turkey with. They make cutting foam as easy as cutting butter.

HTH
JB
JBstor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:12 AM   #4
69 Short Fleet

Thats a good tip JB, have to remember next time I'm out garage sailing.
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote