The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Where have I been?

Well first, I know you all have been missing me.

I've been doing a lot of other stuff lately. Sort of got bummed out on the truck scene if you can understand that. I once again changed jobs back last fall. I took a job too good to pass up and quit working for myself. Being your own boss has it's ups, but it's downs too. Construction is a dog eat dog world in my parts. Anyway, I went to work for a contractor and let him worry about keeping me busy.

I still have both trucks. The 79 justs sits in the drive and never moves. Sort of sad to see it do nothing. The 85 stays in the garage 99% of the time. I drive my work van all the time during the week and the wifes car the rest, except for a rare trip in the 85.

I did find out some great news a couple weeks ago though. I took the van in to get it inspected. He told me after this year, there will no longer be emissions tests on vehicles 95 or older in my county. Just safety inspections. I about fell out hearing this. So, after July, when my next inspection on the 85 is due, there will more than likely be a quick supply of used (slightly) emissions parts up for sale. I got so excited hearing this I didn't ask if there would even be a visual emissions test or not. I don't think so since he said all there would be is a safety test. He even said the 85 would probably love it.

Let's see. This will put me back in the mood to start working on her again. New exhaust system (oh, not again). New intake without EGR. New headers without A.I.R. ports. No damned cats either. The smog pump and hoses will be history. The charcoal canister and vacuum lines will be gone. I can sure clean up my engine bay the way it is supposed to be.

One thing is for sure, it costs a lot more money trying to make power with emissions junk bolted up. I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent because of it. Anyway, anyone need some almost new Random Technology cats? LOL

Anyway, enough rambling from me. I just thought I should stop in and let you know I hadn't fell off the edge of the world.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Mike, I might have an interested buyer in the cats, can you PM me some info on them for me to pass along?

Welcome back to the board, hope to see you around a little more.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Mike,
Welcome back! Email me! I don't know your contact info apparently anymore.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
SanitysBane

Welcome back, I was wondering were you had gone.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
C-10volvo

i was wondering where you have been. how about you buy a new 454 and give me your motor. that way you can start "fresh"
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
KIILew

Mike:

Everytime I take a look at this board I wonder where you are! I figured the hectic nature of life probably drew you away from the "scene" here for awhile, though, and that we would see you when things calmed down.

Anyway, it is great that you have come back! I, like the others, am looking forward to hearing from you more often!

Ken Lewis
KIILew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
plumbcut
california fill

I was about 1 day away from asking you what other board you're hanging out @ now..... that really is somethin' about '95 and older being emissions exempt.. makes me kinda scratch my head... luckily here in cali, I have to smog my '77 one more time (this year in fact, I think...) and then it'll be exempt- woohoo...

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #8
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

mike check with the dmv too on the inspection thing.. my county changed it to 20 yrs or older no saftey at all as of this year. welcome back
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:19 PM   #9
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Mike, i was just out in the garage cleaning up my Grand Am and looked up on the wall, saw the pic of your truck (one of many lowered shortbed pics there), and realized that i hadnt seen anything from you lately. then you pop up on the board...

good to hear you've found new interest in working on your truck! i'm in the process of selling off some of my 4x4 parts to pay down some debt i have, so interest is a little low here. maybe a little too low, as im considering parting it out and selling off all my 4x4 parts. i miss my lowered 2wd!
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:50 PM   #10
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

Good to hear from you.

I would be afraid that the county might change their mind at a later date and then you would need all of that stuff back on your truck...just a thought.

I found a new way to fix my emissions problem...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:02 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Well look what the cat drug up. I knew from your last post that you were staying busy with life and had been staying off the computer for a while. I'm glad to see you emerge again.

I hear ya on the working for yourself deal. While it certainly has it's perks, there are many adys I have to remind myself of exactly what they are, and how much I appreciate the blessings I have......

Welcome home buddy...
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:10 AM   #12
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Glad to see you chime in Mike O can only imagine how happy you were to hear about the emissions. NOw I can't wait to see how clean that engine bay will be.

Did you ever get the brake problem fixed? If so can you write up an article on it? I'm going to do a rear axle swap and if I could go ahead and install discs while it's out I would.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:25 AM   #13
TIMSPEED

Mike,
Glad to see ya back.
I don't know if you already done this or not, but before you change your exhaust, I would go to Pick & Pull, and pick up a dual exhaust crossmember. It'll make routing the exhaust much easier, and also a lot cleaner. I originally DIDN'T do this, but am going back and doing this now. (As well as changing my exhaust to 304SS piping, because I got some free.)
Old 03-04-2005, 02:42 AM   #14
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Mike has the double hump crossmember.

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was about to post and see if anyone knew where you've been. Its been wayyy to long..

Mike was one of the very first to ever help me out. Its been so long ago that I stumbled on to your old old website (maybe the 1st about the 85?).

Just want to say thanks for all the help and support you have given me.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:49 AM   #15
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

yup, he got the crossmember from my C10.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:59 PM   #16
86-C10-V6
Shadetree Mechanic

Welcome back

I don't think I would be ripping off any emmisions stuff just yet.
I live in Franklin county and the emmisions test was not even started here until last year, but the visual inspection has always been required.
The new law and method for emmisions in NC is to connect to the Diagnostic port to check for failure codes.
All 1996 and newer vehicles support the DIAG port.
This simplifies the testing, but I think the visual inspection will still be performed.
Just need to find an inspector with poor eyesight.
Good to see you back.
98 K1500 Xcab, 5.7L, 3.43 Gov-Lok
86-C10-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:10 PM   #17
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Thanks for the kind words folks. Looks like there has been a lot of stuff going on around here. Quite a few new members too I see. Welcome to everyone of you newbies. This is a fantastic place to hang out and chat. A lot of great folks who will go out of their way to help you.

Brandon,

I haven't worked on the brakes anymore since I finished with them the first time. No, they're still not working right. Only thing left on the truck that hasn't been changed is the booster. It's a replacement I bought at Advance Auto Parts quite a while back. If my old man memory serves me right, I can remember the brakes started getting worse not long after replacing it too. I know when a booster is bad you get a hard pedal and such but as this is the only thing not new and going by the way I remember it doing before I switched to disc brakes, I do believe it has something to do with my problem. One thing is for sure, not long from now I'll find out if it is, when I replace it with a new 8" I plan on buying for it.

N2TRUK (Ken),

Looks like I was right all along. I knew you couldn't leave the 77 stock for long. You are more like me than you will ever know. (or is it I'm more like you?) I can't (and refuse too) leave well enough alone. I never have liked anything stock. It's OK I guess, but why not make it better and faster? Good luck with everything.

Ken Lewis,

every time you reply to one of my posts, email or whatever, I get a warm and fuzzy feeling. You have a way of typing stuff that lifts my spirits.

Once again, thanks. You guys are the best bunch of truckers around.

Mike
Old 03-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #18
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

I am up here in MT and am so glad that I don't have to worry about that emmisions crap. I would fail horribly, make sure to post up some pictures of the clean engine bay when you get done doing it.
-Later
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:17 PM   #19
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Talking

Welcome home stranger,

Befor you go gittin' rid of all your emission stuff ya may want to hold on to it for awhile just in case the fine state of N.C. changes there mind's.

Florida completely dumped emissions testing/inspection about 5 or 6 yr's ago and i still have all my emissions stuff just because i dont trust 'em.

If you have to go buy all that stuff again it will cost ya, well you know

Anyways back!

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:40 PM   #20
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Bruce,

you have a point for sure. I don't even know yet if I will be able to remove any of it. They may still do a visual. I will find out in July. Until then I can't do anything anyway. Only thing I do know for sure is there will be no more emissions tests, which includes the tail pipe sniffer. The guy told me only safety tests will be done. I'm hoping no visual or anything but safety. I guess time will tell. If I can remove it, I will probably keep it just in case. I sure would hate to buy all that crap again 10 years down the road. It would be twice as high then.