The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
hot!rod

Houston,we have a problem!

I just called ECE to get some rear springs to replace the HEATED ones on my truck. I want to level it out with the front. They told me to measure from the center of the front wheel up to the fender and call them back. Well, I did and when I told him 14.25 inches I thought he was going to quit breathing. Anyway, he said he's never seen one that low and he wants me to change to drop spindles and springs. I really like where the front sits and had rather not change it, but if this is not very safe then I need to do something. The front springs are not heated, they have been replaced recently, but I don't know what they are. I haven't checked the spindles, but he wasn't the kind of guy to spend the money for the drop spindles. Anybody ever heard of this short of a measurement?

I'm lost
Old 03-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
XXL
Señor Member

That's about a 4.75" drop. Stick spindle-to-fender lip on the C-10 is 19". That's not "stop breathing" territory but it's definitely at the limit of a spring-only drop.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
hot!rod

What should I do? Order a 4/6 kit? Leave the front since it's where I like it? This crap always seems to happen at the worst possible time. It was going to the paint shop Monday. So a 4/6 would be about 15"? That's cool. It's only 3/4" higher.
Anyone know the measurements from the top of the axle tube to the frame rail above it? That's what I measured (instead of trailing arm to frame rail like he wanted, duh!).

Thanks, couldn't make it without the board.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
XXL
Señor Member

Rear wheel centerline-to-fender opening is 22" stock.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:26 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

hot!rod,... WELCOME to the board! You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the front of your truck? Maybe one that would show the angle of the lower a-arms. No chance your truck has spindles on it already? Just a thought. Doubt it with "heated" springs on the back. With that much spring cut,... you should be able to move the spring around in the "pocket", when the front wheels are off the ground. Spindles are definitely BETTER! You can't go wrong with ECE stuff.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:09 PM   #6
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot!rod
What should I do? Order a 4/6 kit? Leave the front since it's where I like it? This crap always seems to happen at the worst possible time. It was going to the paint shop Monday. So a 4/6 would be about 15"? That's cool. It's only 3/4" higher.
Anyone know the measurements from the top of the axle tube to the frame rail above it? That's what I measured (instead of trailing arm to frame rail like he wanted, duh!).

Thanks, couldn't make it without the board.
I spoke to Dave at ECE a few days ago about a 4/6 and he said it would leave 3'' between the frame and axle tube. So we can assume that stock height with new springs would have 9" betwen the tube and the frame. Anyway you could use this as a starting point to see where you are.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:27 AM   #7
hot!rod

I finally got in touch with the PO. The front springs are out of an 80s model and he just cut em. GREAT. Now I have to start all over in the front too. Anyway, thanks for all the responses. I now have starting measurements to go with.

Thanks again
Old 03-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #8
67chevy2wd

I noticed when you said he cute the springs that you would have to start all over. I was planning on cutting my springs on my 69 for an cheap drop, for the time being. Is this a bad Idea, because i don't have the money to buy a drop kit cuz i am in college. I have a 67 and a 69 that are both torn down to the frame and i want to put the 69 back together so i can drive it, and rebuild the 67.

As hot!rod said "Thanks, Couldn't make it without the board"
'71 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
‘71 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd suburban
67chevy2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #9
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

I'm in college too and don't have much money. I have a 68 SWB and cut my front springs. I took 1.5 coils out of the front and got a pretty decent drop but it doesn't ride very good. It isn't dangerous, but it makes a lot of noise when you go over bumps (the noise is the spring moving between the control arms because it's so much shorter) It works for now though and seems to be a popular alternative for those of us that are financially challenged
Hope this helps.

Just as a footnote, you won't be able to cut the rear springs (if you have rear coil suspension) because they're tapered at the ends to fit in the cups. I had to bite the bullet and buy lowering springs from ECE but 5" springs were only like $115 shipped. If you take 1.5 coils out of the front, get 6" springs for the rear. Mine has too much rake and it looks goofy.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
69 longhorn

I have cut coils on my longhorn.....1 ring gives 2 1/2-3" drop, & ride/ handle is good. I also have fabbed a set front shock relocators, to run the stock shocks. the bumpstops on the lower a arms need to be lopped off, & use traction bar snubbers for the stop. The front rides a tad soft, but not too bad......addition of a good stiff sway bar should stiffen the front up a bit tho. 69L