The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
rusted75 half ton
More trusty Less rusty

Question Tailgate suggestions

I'm looking for a good tailgate,and am leaning towards the aftermarket panels.The only thing that bothers me is that the metel is usually thinner and fit isn't that great
I've found some online that interest me,first is from www.****************.com http://www.****************.com/cata...20Tailgate.htm
they say it's the same thikness as the origional.

next,mother truckers http://www.mothertruckers.net/catalo...roducts_id=410

and gmc pauls
http://www.gmcpauls.com/pictures/67-...%20Letters.jpg

Anyone have expirence with these companies and parts?Are the parts all from the same manufacturer?Don't mind paying alot if it's good quality.

Thanks
rusted75 half ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
rusted75 half ton
More trusty Less rusty

can't get the first link to come up it's for classic heartbeat . com
Old 03-05-2005, 01:44 AM   #3
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

I bought mine from Rick's (Shawn is a great guy there). Pretty sure it's a Tri-Plus brand, same gauge as stox.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusted75 half ton
I'm looking for a good tailgate,and am leaning towards the aftermarket panels.The only thing that bothers me is that the metel is usually thinner and fit isn't that great
I've found some online that interest me,first is from www.****************.com http://www.****************.com/cata...20Tailgate.htm
they say it's the same thikness as the origional.

next,mother truckers http://www.mothertruckers.net/catalo...roducts_id=410

and gmc pauls
http://www.gmcpauls.com/pictures/67-...%20Letters.jpg

Anyone have expirence with these companies and parts?Are the parts all from the same manufacturer?Don't mind paying alot if it's good quality.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2005, 09:12 AM   #4
Huck

Some say the metal is the same thinkness, some say the weight is the same, but NOBODY says if the metal alloy is the same strength! My personal experience required some cutting where the end panels were welded into the gate to get it to fit. Never had a bad experience with an original gate. I believe the current TIWAN aftermark is decent but I don't see the center line of welds that holds the outer and the inner together for rigidity as the originals have. So, originals are still best but the current aftermarket gates from vendors are a decent replacement for the price. Just kind of depends on your needs/wants and $$ to spend. If you are covering the letters with a tailgate band, just go with the smooth back and save some bucks as nobody will know the difference. (:>)))
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
see ten
WTB this ad

I have a Goodmark gate and have been very happy with it.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:35 AM   #6
flatblack67c-10

I had an aftermarket tailgate, until 3 of my friends sat on it and it folded in half. i would say buy an original if you plan on hauling anything, or using the tailgate for loading fourwheelers etc.
was 67 chevy swb fleet now muticolored 69 step, 350/350, 3.73 posi, converted to 5 lug, torq thrust II 17x8 front 17x9.5 rear, factory air cab, fuel cell. future plans: shaved wiper cowl, shave stake pockets, phantom grille, and silver paint...
68 camaro ss396 project
54 f*rd project truck
flatblack67c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:19 AM   #7
68LSS1

I was at Mothertruckers a couple weeks ago and he got a tailgate and a couple of doors in from a company called Dynacorn. When I'm ready to get my doors, that's where they will come from. The tailgate was the best I've ever seen. And I know it's not all about the weight but that tailgate was solid. I think they sell wholesale only so you'll have to find a dealer.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #8
TRUCKPOOR

Jon, Is that a new (to you) truck in your avatar? If so, post some pics of that girl. Also, would like to see pics of the Longhorn. Currently there is a fairly decent tailgate on the parts board for $75.00. Not a bad deal but you will have to convince him to ship it. Last one I had shipped only cost $27.00 from Montana. I prefer original. Nothing but an original can close with that old familiar sound and feel! Good Luck, Robert

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=143754

Last edited by TRUCKPOOR; 03-08-2005 at 11:42 AM.
TRUCKPOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
72MARIO

I would advise to buy local if possible. That way when you test fit the gate if it does not line up right you can return it and try another. The Tri Plus and Goodmark gate's are good but nothing beets a N.O .S gate.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #10
rusted75 half ton
More trusty Less rusty

[QUOTE=TRUCKPOOR]Jon, Is that a new (to you) truck in your avatar? If so, post some pics of that girl. Also, would like to see pics of the Longhorn. Currently there is a fairly decent tailgate on the parts board for $75.00. Not a bad deal but you will have to convince him to ship it. Last one I had shipped only cost $27.00 from Montana. I prefer original. Nothing but an original can close with that old familiar sound and feel! Good Luck, Robert

Hi,Robert.It is a new truck,it's a 69 3/4T longhorn 396/400 Was olive and white before repaint,needs some work but is rustfree!!I've only got a few pics as of it right now.As for the tailgate I would prefer to get a nice origional but am seeing if an aftermarket will do if I can't find one.Actually I have an origional tailgate that needs very little work but has cheverolet stamped in it and sofar can't bring myself to drilling holes in it and covering the lettering with a tailgate band.heres the pics,Thanks jon

Old 03-09-2005, 01:42 AM   #11
TRUCKPOOR

Jon, That truck looks great! And if all the options are still there that's fantastic. Use the gate that you have, small holes are an easy fix if you ever want to revert back to no band on the tailgate. Drop by and show that thing off sometime.
TRUCKPOOR is offline   Reply With Quote