The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
Sooner1970_K10
1970 K10, 350, 4spd!

HELP, please! Finding a battery drain.

Ok, I am still trying to find what is causing my battery to drain. I replaced the battery with a brand new one and it was drained dead within 2 days. Here is what I have done so far.

1.) Used "metal blade test" to check altenator and see if it magnetizes. I didnt feel any type of pull but maybe I was doing it wrong.

2.) Then I jumped the truch, removed the jumper cables and then disconnected the truck battery leads and the truck still ran with just the altenator. I believe this tells me my altenator is good wether it passed the first test or not?

3.) Someone suggested I disconnect the negative battery lead from the battery and place a 12v light between the negetive lead and mattery terminal. If I had a draw on the battery with the key in the off position it would show up. The light came on when I did this, so this means without any doubt I have something drawing the battery down when the key is not on?

4.) Then the 2nd part to the number (3) was to remove the fuses from the fuse box one at a time untill the light went out, then I would have found my faulty area and then be able to pin point where to look to find the draw. Well the only problem is I removed the fuses one at a time (3 times) and the light never went out. I even switched in a multimeter on the last time and watched the 12vdc stay perfectly constent, never faltered.

*HELP PART* So what do I do now? Does this mean that the draw on the battery is somewhere between the battery and fuse box? Is this the only option I have? Do I follow the battery leads to the fuse box? Am I missing something obvious? Attached is a picture of my fuse box, I doubt it will help but thought It wouldnt hurt.
Attached Images

Sooner1970_K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
jhow66

Disconnect the red wire on Alt. and check at battery for drain. Unplug voltage reg and check.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner1970_K10
4.) Then the 2nd part to the number (3) was to remove the fuses from the fuse box one at a time untill the light went out, then I would have found my faulty area and then be able to pin point where to look to find the draw. Well the only problem is I removed the fuses one at a time (3 times) and the light never went out. I even switched in a multimeter on the last time and watched the 12vdc stay perfectly constent, never faltered.
You may have more than one circuit in trouble. Try removing all fuses and see if the light stays on. If so, there must be something unfused, or wired directly to the battery. BTW the multimeter will read 12vdc even without a current drain; what you need to look for with it is current (i.e. amps, watts, milliwatts).

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
Sooner1970_K10
1970 K10, 350, 4spd!

Ok, when I disconnect the regulator the light goes out? The regulator shouldnt have any draw on the battery and it does, so it needs to be replaced?
Old 03-05-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

It sounds like you may have found it. If the exciter coil in the regulator has stuck points, then the red wire would be feeding through it and back to the alternator field. You might try hooking the regulator back up and disconnecting the plug on the alternator to see if the light goes out.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Sooner1970_K10
1970 K10, 350, 4spd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet
It sounds like you may have found it. If the exciter coil in the regulator has stuck points, then the red wire would be feeding through it and back to the alternator field. You might try hooking the regulator back up and disconnecting the plug on the alternator to see if the light goes out.
I tried this and even with all 3 wires disconnected from the back of the altenator the light was still on.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:08 PM   #7

voltage regulator

My battery kept going dead within a few hours also, so I replaced the voltage regulator with one from a junk yard and it seems to be working just fine now. Hope this helps. Doug
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

battery drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner1970_K10
I tried this and even with all 3 wires disconnected from the back of the altenator the light was still on.
Then I believe you have eliminated the alternator as the drain. Read through this web page and you can see where the wires go from the regulator. The brown wire that feeds the idiot light is the only one in my schematic that could be draining juice if the regulator is good. Can you disconnect it and plug the regulator back in. If the light stays on then it must be the regulator. It might be easier to just plug in another regulator if you have one.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...reewire2.shtml

Vettevet- this is interesting

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:19 AM   #9
Sonny

Did you just replace your steering wheel? Check the horn relay that is at the top and right to see if it is warm/hot. I replaced my steering column and on the old column some cut the horn wire because the horn contact was hitting the side of the steering wheel adapter. The horn was disconnected too. It took me a little while to find it. Good luck.

Sonny
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:04 PM   #10
lngbed71
Nothing fits but the oil

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=144338

Because of the brave
lngbed71 is offline   Reply With Quote