The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
bigjimzlll

Neighbors??????

Finally got my truck ready to roll....new headers..advanced timing 4 degrees..moved the engine back 5"..new th400 with trans brake..one piece 3 1/2" drive shaft.. I used 3" bullet mufflers. Waited til Noon today to start it. Started first turn and sounded awesome...adjusted timing..let it run for 2 minutes....and the COPS show up...One of my neighbors called the fuzz on me. He said my muflers wern't street legal..I said im in my own drive way..not the street....Soooo...he said if I wanted to be not hassled while on the street in the future...fix it so its more quite NOW.

Theres a guy 2 doors down with a str8 pipe harley..and some roundy roundy racers across the street that are always uncapped and reving....So I didn't do a test drive..or even start it again....going to get some cheap 3" turbos and put them after the bullets

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Neighbors, street legal? You need to come to Mississippi, heck we don't even have emissions to worry about.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #3
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I drove my wifes ZZ-3 powered stepside around the block uncapped and nobody ever said anything. I even used the drive my 6:71 blown Model A Ford around the neighborhood uncapped. One of the side pipes fell off going down the interstate one time (Model A) so I pulled over and removed the other and drove it 30 miles uncapped. It was loud as hell but all I got was the "thumbs up" from everyone.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:53 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimzlll
Finally got my truck ready to roll....new headers..advanced timing 4 degrees..moved the engine back 5"..new th400 with trans brake..one piece 3 1/2" drive shaft.. I used 3" bullet mufflers. Waited til Noon today to start it. Started first turn and sounded awesome...adjusted timing..let it run for 2 minutes....and the COPS show up...One of my neighbors called the fuzz on me. He said my muflers wern't street legal..I said im in my own drive way..not the street....Soooo...he said if I wanted to be not hassled while on the street in the future...fix it so its more quite NOW.

Theres a guy 2 doors down with a str8 pipe harley..and some roundy roundy racers across the street that are always uncapped and reving....So I didn't do a test drive..or even start it again....going to get some cheap 3" turbos and put them after the bullets
All that ground shakin power probably shook his house and spilled his coffee Maybe he has something else against you and not the others.

Vettevet-old and glad I live outa town.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:26 AM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I can't believe that crap. I grew up in the sticks. We didn't HAVE neighbors. It was wonderful. I have relatives that live in an "uppity" neighborhood in lexington...drove my 67 there one day and parked it in the street. They told me later that the neighbors didn't appreciate my "eyesore" of a truck parked on their street. WHAT IN THE #### is our country coming to? I can understand revving a motor at 10 at night causing problems, but at noon? COME ON PEOPLE!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:29 AM   #6
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I used to have that same problem,sucks.Now all the old people around me are either deaf,or have moved out.
I used to fire up the racecar early in the mornig,or late at night,and rev it,tune it after they would complain about me.Sure the cops came again,but the neigbors felt lucky when it was in the middle of the day

Yeah might not have beenm the nicest thing to do,butwhat else ya gonna do?
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:35 AM   #7
1STtimePRo'71

I have the same problems, with my neighbors. I got to know the cops real quick around here and now they dont bother me. But It's not always that easy.....

1967 2 Wheel Chevy
1STtimePRo'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:42 AM   #8
Jeremy_5
Truck addict

Same problems here. I got called on my 72, once where I live now and once where I used to live. I loved driving that thing, but now it is parked on my girlfriends ranch collecting dust becuase everyone complains about it. I don't see whats so wrong with it, just becuase it is a little beat up? I think it gives it character, better than driving something everyone else has. Hopefully no one will complain about the 56 Napco I just bought

Here's my old girl
Attached Images

Last edited by Jeremy_5; 03-06-2005 at 12:49 AM.
Jeremy_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:48 AM   #9
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

we all live in a walmart world.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:52 AM   #10
Alexis
Member since 2000

I drove around the block with a 67 327 open headers...........right before i got home a cop pulled the corner coming on the opposite direction. I had to stop to pull into my house and wait for him to pass. He didn't even seem to give 2 licks.

never had a problem with my nieghbors about my cars but pets yes.............heck i changed a whole rear-end(14-bolt) on a 72 3/40 4x4 that was lifted on the street. Did it one day so it wasn't so bad.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:48 AM   #11
cableguy0

me neighbors gave up. the younger kids in the neighborhood would always have some fun on moving night for a few bucks they hit selective places. the neighbors that used to live across would ***** if we had a bbq outside in the middle of the day in the summer time. im talking about a family type deal here not a buncha rowdy drunken friends or anything. they seemed to b!tch just for the sake of b!tching. they moved and the new people are cool they do there thing have parties and what not dont bother nobody. i could totally care less what the neighbors are doing its there business and like the same in return
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:57 AM   #12
krazy_texan

i have had the cops called on me numerous times after dark. my old job used to require me working until 11pm which i had no problems with but the neighbors did when i would pull into the driveway, they have also griped about all my crap in the side yard so they put a privacy fence along part of thier driveway.
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:17 AM   #13
modifiedGMC

When I was about 18 or 19 we had a town cop that would come up the road and turn around at the store across the road from me. I would see him just sitting there sometimes and uncap my headers (that were big enough to put my fist into the collector) on my 69 chevelle and sit in the driveway with the hood raised and "tune" it and rev the big block up just for spite. He would just leave. Sometimes me and my buddy would be driving around and decide "hey lets uncap the headers!" so we'd pull over, grab some wrenches and uncap them and hit the road again. BUT i also been pulled over and ticketed for duals with glasspacks on too by a city cop. I agree about the harleys. That PO's me big time to know Harleys (or generic look alikes) with fricking short tube straight pipes OR big diesels with straight pipes get away with that crap!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:11 AM   #14
Gary

Ask him if you're breaking any laws working on your own truck in your own driveway, if he says "no" then say "guess you're done here then?" if he says yes then ask him what law.

This is why I live in the county, if the neighbors ***** and call the cops because I'm outside messing with my stuff, or whatever, they'll be lucky to get one to show up and if one does show up he'll probably just admire the engine and ask to hear it rev a little so he can appreciate it too

I know the old lady next door just can't wait for me to run that last bit of fence because my property makes an "L" around behind hers and I'm fixing to fence that part behind her and put a pig and a calf back there along with letting my goats in there too. She knows it's coming but she can't do jack about it. I'm gonna ask her if she minds if I just hook on to her chain link so I ain't gotta run a new fence 1 foot away from her perfectly good chain link Wonder what she'll say.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 05:25 AM   #15
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER

If you want to hear a story about police and Headers than read this, one time when I was about 19 which was about oh 41 years ago, anyway my uncle bulit his own car from junk yard stuff, he called it a "Sirey"..... this thing had a 283 SBC with no muffler system whatsoever..... it was a little loud!!, so right after we built it we took it out for a ride no licence plates, headlights not even a hood!!!! no air cleaner......... from a stop light I kicked that little 283 dead in the a$$ we took off every which way but forward, well now I'm counterstearing back and forth trying to straghten this thing out with that pedal still clear to the floor tires screaming, the motor was singing... then after I gained control I see a cop pull right in front of me... now I'm still lead footen this thing I had just shifted it to 2nd and now I got to try and stop so I hit the clutch and brake shifted in to neutral.... now there is no suspension on this thing so the rear tires lock up and we are starting to spin so I crank the wheel to the right and were spinnin' now.... we must have spinned that thing 4-5 times completely around...... well I dide'nt hit the cop I had stoped just shy of his car.. he gets out and says "what the hell were you two doin'?"
and my dumb a$$ says "we were just goin' for a ride!"... well I got let off with a warning and a ticket for no licence plates (amazing huh!! today we would have been put on trial) so we got back home and we all had a good laugh!.

1969 CHEVROLET CST-10 PICK-UP
Good memories

1999 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. cab 5.7L
Good Memories

With a quart of oil, and a gallon of gas, she won't let no other car pass!!!.

& FOREVER
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #16
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I must be extra lucky. I just bought my first house in Nov. & found out the neighboors all around me are gear heads or racing fans. they come over when I fire up Lefty to see what is new or in progress.
if I was you I would do some extensive "tuning" in the driveway in the middle of the day. as long as it is legal, let 'er RIP!! maybe even do some burnouts for sh1ts & giggles.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:11 AM   #17
64fleetside

Here unless you got a meth lab, the cops are never to be found. I drove my 64 a couple weeks w/o any exhaust, never even got a second look. Those dudes w/the Hogs are much louder than my stuff, I saw a guy on a Harley going down the freeway, he was wearing earplugs! Brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:39 AM   #18
C10 Club Tennessee

if he says "no" then say "guess you're done here then?"

I wouldn't necessarily do that. I've been called to numerous houses about loud cars and motorcycles and usually if I like the car (ha ha) then I'll just tell them to try to calm it down. If it's a weed heater sentra or eclipse then by all means they need to stop. I've never issued a noise ordinance ticket for that kind of crap, now loud bass crap in a car that's another story.

You got to understand the same complaints that you guys have about stupid neighbors most police officers get it too. Those same idiots will call up to the station and say that "I didn't get them to quiet it down quick enough" or (my favorite) "He looked like he was having fun talking to him". Like I have to be a D!(k to get my point across. These kinds of people will complain about everything. Then I got my supervisor asking me what I did. They pretty much get me in trouble at the same time.

We have this one guy in town that always complains about a guys 60-66 truck here in town. He sold it a few months ago, but when he had it this guy would complain at least 2 times a week and that's just my shift. Well, this guy called my supervisor and complained on me and gave him the second response (up top). Needless to say the guy ran a stop sign one day and I looked down and realized it was him on his license. Let's just say it was payback time.

Just understand that sometimes we get put in a position where we have to at least do something. I know there's a lot of a$$ cops out there, but it's like that in every profession. I'm sure everybody had a favorite teacher and a hated teacher.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:52 AM   #19
BigDave
I poop on Ford!

I live in the country and my nearest neighbor is easily a quarter mile or so away. I have no problems there. However, my wife works in town, my kids go to school in town, and we are forever having to go here or there in town. Please note, the Blazer has a hot little 400 SBC and is equipped with Flowmaster single chamber race mufflers. The Cheyenne is a 402BB and it has dual chambers ending under the bed. The Trans-Am has a cut out installed before the muffler and I run it wide open all of the time.

The three vehicles are loud by any definition but cops don't even give me a second look. I'm sure if I lived in a neighborhood I would get complaints. If I ever do get pulled over for being too loud I will ask the officer how many tickets he writes to Harely riders and the like, also dually pick-ups with those big a$$ chrome echo chambers.
BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:06 PM   #20
bigjimzlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69
if he says "no" then say "guess you're done here then?"

I wouldn't necessarily do that. I've been called to numerous houses about loud cars and motorcycles and usually if I like the car (ha ha) then I'll just tell them to try to calm it down. If it's a weed heater sentra or eclipse then by all means they need to stop. I've never issued a noise ordinance ticket for that kind of crap, now loud bass crap in a car that's another story.

You got to understand the same complaints that you guys have about stupid neighbors most police officers get it too. Those same idiots will call up to the station and say that "I didn't get them to quiet it down quick enough" or (my favorite) "He looked like he was having fun talking to him". Like I have to be a D!(k to get my point across. These kinds of people will complain about everything. Then I got my supervisor asking me what I did. They pretty much get me in trouble at the same time.

We have this one guy in town that always complains about a guys 60-66 truck here in town. He sold it a few months ago, but when he had it this guy would complain at least 2 times a week and that's just my shift. Well, this guy called my supervisor and complained on me and gave him the second response (up top). Needless to say the guy ran a stop sign one day and I looked down and realized it was him on his license. Let's just say it was payback time.

Just understand that sometimes we get put in a position where we have to at least do something. I know there's a lot of a$$ cops out there, but it's like that in every profession. I'm sure everybody had a favorite teacher and a hated teacher.
Yea..I agree. Thats why I didn't start it again, even though every bone in my body wanted too. When I was younger it would of been war. The cop was nice(he ticketed me b4..long story) He told me he "has" to responde to all complaints...even though they are unfounded. My town has a population of around 10,000 and must have 20 cops a shift..cant spin a cat with out hitting one...He actually said "We" all know your truck...lol

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote