The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
Hook'em

Fuel filter and lines

Been having problems with smelling gasoline fumes. I want to replace the fuel filter and the lines on either side of it. The lines are showing some cracking, so I hope that is the cause of the smell.

Couple questions:

(1) Any fuel filer recommendations?
(2) Do I need to do anything special to remove and replace the lines? (Will there be much gasoline in the lines that I need to worry about, or should it be ok to just remove and replace?)

Sorry for the basic questions, but I am trying to learn to take care of this truck and have had virtually no auto repair experience.

Heres a pic of the location.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
1STtimePRo'71

Wear some glasses and keep your mouth closed and move quick. I did this a few weeks ago and I ended up burning most of the clothes I was wearing afterwords.

1967 2 Wheel Chevy
1STtimePRo'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

If your new to turning a wrench
1. do it when the engine is cold
2. use only fuel rated hose
3. replace clamps
4. pay attention direction of filter (inlet/outlet)
5. Route new hose away from excesive heat source and belts, pullys or anything that may cut or rub a hole in the hose.
6. dont be too far way from a fire extinguisher (you just never know when you have a little fuel spill)

On another note, I would move that ground cable to the block insted of the intake. Not that it will cause any damage there, its just more efficiant for the cranking system.

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
69 Short Fleet

There is also a short rubber hose @ 8" long under the cab that connects the gas tank to the main metal fuel line, you shd. inspect and or replace that also (unless already done) careful though can get messy & wear safety glasses. ^ and what JAMIS mentioned.
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
CaperCat

For safety's sake, youy should replace the rubber hose set up from the fuel pump and replace it with the steel line that came from the factory. The engine compartment is too hot and full of electricity to trust a simple hose clamp fitting on a fuel line. A fire can easily start when one of the splices leakes and drips on a spark plug wire. A replacement steel line is less than $20. If you have a carburetor that does not work with the factory set up, then at least run the steel from the fuel pump up close to your carburetor and finish off the rest with a flexible, fuel rated hose. Just my $0.02. Thanks.

Steve
CaperCat is offline   Reply With Quote