The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
john@thepier

Powder coated chasis

Can anyone give me their expierences with powder coating a chasis. I think I would like to completely disasemble my chasis blast it and have it done. My concerns are with the build up of paint .Will I have some cuss words flying as I reassemble the thing. I am concerned with the front suspension mostly I know I will have to clean out a few holes etc. Are there a few parts that I should not get powder painted . Any advise would be appreciated. JOHN also I would like to do this to my coresupport and inner wheel wells.
john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
WILLNIK

John,
I did all my suspension parts along with the frame. I would not do it any other way. Its awsome! (I am lucky because one of the largest ovens in the area is 6 miles from me.) Make sure the powder coater tapes off anything that is threaded. The only problem I had was the upper and lower control arms. I had to clean out the powder coat were the control arm shaft nuts thread in. Other than that I am very pleased with the result. Just my 2cts.

Terry
'65 Corvette roadster
'11 Tahoe (wifes ride)
WILLNIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:29 PM   #3
incoma

I had the same issue as willnik with the shafts, but I love my powder coat. I have since learned of a process called e-coat. It's a liquid dip instead of a sprayed powder. Its even better than powder from a coverage standpoint. The coater I used utilized an acid bath to "prime" the frame and parts. It got up into every nook and cranny of the truck. Now I've got a few spots up in the cross member that got cleaned but not coated, simply because they couldn't fit the spray gun up into the crevaces. (spelling).. Powder is really nice though. It gives a nice finished look that won't go away. My entire chassis was $850 including the rad support and inner fenders and EVERYTHING that bolted to the chassis.
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

incoma, did you have yoru chassis done in MS?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:25 PM   #5
imdarren

I had mine done, and love it! Have as much of the chassis coated as possible. I did my main frame, tranny crossmember, main front suspension cross member, upper and lower a-arms, rear trailing arms, radiator core support, battery tray, and front inner fenders, and I can't remember what else. All sand blasted and coated for $600.
The only thing I would do diffrent, is to do all the bodywork, cutting / welding, and body painting first, then have the chassis done. Then you don't have to worry about dinging / scuffing, and overspray on that nice new frame!

Darren

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:26 PM   #6
Alexis
Member since 2000

clikc "britney" and I got some pictures of my frame powder coated. It kicks ass, it almost like ART after you get it back.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #7
incoma

Yes. There's an outfit here in Jackson that does it. When I went there they had a few late 60's muscle cars there to be dipped/stripped. They also had a 67-72 cab to be dipped. The guy that runs the show was telling me that he has vehicles shipped to him from all over the southeast.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2005, 12:06 AM   #8
shifty
Questionable

Nice! Just one of those things that will be useful for the future. I wouldn't be surprised to find something here in Atlanta, but I only know one person on the board that's from around here and I haven't asked.

What's the name of the shop you took yours to in Jackson?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:13 AM   #9
john@thepier

Is getting the shimms and other related components ok what about calipers, rotors,dust sheilds,spindels,tie rods,springs,power steering,etc. I know you can paint anything. It's the watch out spots I need to be warned about. Also I can only figure new ungreese chasis parts are mandatory since this stuff goes into a oven. Other wise not doing every thing you would end up with some nice and some rusted parts after a while.

Last edited by john@thepier; 03-10-2005 at 12:18 AM.
john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:15 AM   #10
71RestoRod

Only way to go.

I did all of my bodywork and paint, then lifted off the tub and stripped the chassis. Dropped off all the parts at the sandblaster's. The powdercoat shop works with them... they picked up the frame and all the parts from the blast shop, plugged or taped anything with threads and shot it. They wrapped and packed everything for me in boxes and shrink-wrapped it to pallets. It was like Christmas day when I unwrapped the (like) new parts. Came out absolutely beautiful. Blasting and coating only ran me ~$350 for everything and that was about every part I could dig up to be coated. They do a lot of volume at this shop.

The only clearance issue I ran into was where the e-brake cables mount. The coating thickness made a real tight fit for the brake clips, but that was it.
Attached Images

71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:07 AM   #11
krue
Designated A-hole!

Sweet, incoma I want the name and number of the shop in Jackson too.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
incoma

Metal Finishing Services - 750 Boling Dr, Jackson, MS 601-355-3317

The guy who runs the shop name is Preston. They've got a crane setup so you pull your trailer under an overhang and they swing the crane out and lift up anything you have. Only problem is they are open from 8-4:30 M-F. I found that kinda limiting.