The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #1
slammd72

locations of all VIN numbers!?

i need to know where all of the vin numbers are on the 72 i got. i know of the plate on the drivers side, the sticker on the drivers door, and the glove box door. i got this truck running and driving before i investagated the title. and it turns out i either have to petition the court for a title, switch numbers (i think thats a felony), or part out the truck. anyone encountered any title problems? ive got very little money in this truck, but i would really like to get a title.
Attached Images

slammd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
JBstor

The only other one I know of should be on the top of the frame, on the driver's side, about even with the front of the engine. And it should match the cab one

Anyone else?
JB
JBstor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
nyncompute

I have had experience with the DMV with this issue. Trust me when I say you're in for the most insane, exasperating experience of your life. I lost the title to an unregistered, CA titled truck a few years back, and the NDMV actually told me the way to get a title was to let the truck get repossessed "somehow" and then buy it back at an auction . Tow companies and mechanics can get a "mechanics lien" through the DMV.
I would get a different answer every time I would call (this is on my lucky days that I didn't wait on hold for 20 minutes or told that "you can't do that anyway").
Bottom line for this Nevada resident: Get one of the decent people of this forum who are sending their rust buckets to its final resting place, to send you a VIN and a title. You know what your motives are, and in my opinion, your forced to do it in a way that is out of the NDMV's "acceptability norm"
Do what you want ....but I know what I'd do.
nyncompute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
nyncompute

BTW: more good news from our states most beloved institution:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7166599/
Old 03-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I am in the same spot and have an appointment with the state police to get my vin and title squared away because the frame # and cab # do not match as long as the # do not come up stolen then your ok..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:17 AM   #6
nyncompute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72
I am in the same spot and have an appointment with the state police to get my vin and title squared away because the frame # and cab # do not match as long as the # do not come up stolen then your ok..
That may be true of your state but not Nevada
Old 03-13-2005, 03:18 AM   #7
Green Machine

Check this out: http://www.broadwaytitle.com/index.htm

I bought a truck here in Iowa without a title and was going to use them but didn't have too. Using the VIN, the DMV gave me the name of the person who it was last registered to. I contacted him and asked if he could help and he did, He didn't even remember the truck, it had been 10 plus years since it was registerd last. If he would have been an a$$hole I would has been screwed. Called the county courthouse in his county and explained things. They sent him an application for a duplicate title and he signed it and sent it back to the county. The county then sent me the duplicate title and I could then transfer it. I arranged to pay all fees and sent the guy 25 bucks for his trouble. Your state may be different.
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:04 AM   #8
REPO1
Shortbox wanna-be.

I know that here, you only need the VIN off the cab. It doesn't have to match the frame, as frames are commonly changed in bad accidents.

My frame is stamped in 2 spots, drivers side beside the engine on the top, as well as drivers side top of frame under the cab.
'97 Z28 (11.41@127MPH)
REPO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #9
Gary Lee
fixer of 72 GMC LWB

VIN and titles

This varies a bit from state to state but overall, on an older vehicle it usually isn't sweated too much, as it takes 2-3 to make one good one sometimes... Most places go off the main body vin and the others can be whatever... however, sometimes, somebody starts checking... The only time it should ever be a problem is if one of the VIN's is a stolen vehicle... If you have had it for any amount of time it should be no problem, if you have receipts showing where you purchased parts it should be no problem... as most law enforcement agencies are under tight budgets and if its been stolen way back in the past, its probably been settled, and for most places, they have to have someone haul it, store, investigate it, and then sell it... an older truck is usually too much work for these guys so they don't usually even bother unless its worth an easy couple of grand at a police auction...

Thats why it really stinks if someone steals your truck, because its so easy for the thief to make good use of your truck... as for titles, It varies so much from state to state... who knows... here in GA if its something more than 10 yrs(I am not sure where the cutoff is...) they won't retitle it, just register it... Sometimes if you have multiple vins, dmv will just title it as a reconstruction and assign a vin... its crazy, but the insurance industry drives the regulations and since most people won't insure older vehicles against theft , and ploice depts have shrinking budgets, its not high on the list of priorities unless there is a rash of thefts ala chop shop...

If it was a 2-3 y.o camry, accord, expidition, tahoe... it would change things considerably... The big worry is when you get an I.D. 10 T. at the dmv who doesn't know the difference between a ball joint and a muffler bearing... then you can have so many problems, I don't even want to think about it... But it happens so much since typing and other factors decides who gets a job and who doesn't....
Gary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:21 PM   #10
cableguy0

buy a vin plate and title from someone here and call it good. plenty of parts trucks on this board that will never be driven again that arent stolen that have a good vin and title. hopefully someone will pm you to let you know they have one. yea its not legal but as long as neither vehicle is stolen who cares it beats jumping through the hoops at the mva.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:30 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Even though it is wrong...I do agree with cableguy 100%
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:09 PM   #12
J Y Dog

The 72 I bought here in 1998 was sold to me on a bill of sale. In Ga. thats all thats required on vehicle 1985 and older.

Had it tagged and insured ever since. I'll be moving o N C soon and have all my friends and relatives looking for the cableguy fix.It just seems to be the only way out for me I have to much invested to back out now.

Dog
J Y Dog is offline   Reply With Quote