The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
Tom
driving is in my blood

finish or sell as is? My 79

I know I've brought up selling this thing before, but now I have no choice. Gas won't get any cheaper, and getting more MPG out of this thing will take new rear gears and a fuel injection system, which Im not willing to do on this particular truck. I have almost finished the body work, and it will all be done before I sell. My question is what should I do before I sell it:

1: Get a $100 cheapo paint job to make it look good while selling or leave it nicley primerd and ready to paint, and sell that way?

2: Buy the $100 evaperator, then install the rest of the a/c system [all brand new components sitting in the backyard waiting right now] or just sell with the parts?

3: Leave the 5 channel amp, 12" sub and 6.5/1" component set in, or take those out and leave the cd player in, buy some cheap 6.5"s and 1"'s to put in the custom kick panels and wire those up to the head unit?

I would like to keep the sterio but if it will up the selling value enough I'll leave everything in. As for painting and the a/c Im just wondering if I'll re-coup the cost of doing it or if it will help sell the truck enough to justify doing them. Any opinions are welcome This is the 79 by the way...
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
Eyegore
What Hump?

Hey tom know the feeling. IMO I would suggest just leaving the way it is, rarely you'll recoop any $$$. Just be up front and say you didn't finish. I tend to leave vehicles that have been painted espically with a low dollar job, but I'm more inclined to deal with someone where everything been left alone.

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:32 PM   #3
low 84

definatly take your stereo out and just leave some kind of functioning stereo in it. you won't get any more money with the system in it. however i think the a/c would contribute quite a bit too how much you could get for it. its pretty rare around here for a truck like ours to have working a/c. as for the paint, thats a hard one. having a clean paint job would definatly up the value, but 100 bucks doesn't get you much of a paint job

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
bumpsburb
87 suburban "Jack"

I agree, remove the stereo. Their isnt a return on leaving it VS pulling it. As far as painting, leave it for the next owner. Regarding the AC that depends on where you live. If it is in an area in which you need air, it might help it sell faster.

Just my .02

Bump
Old 03-14-2005, 12:48 AM   #5
BowTieMan

Got any pictures of it? Or any idea how much you would be asking?
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:35 AM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Im looking for between $4000-5000, and no I have no recent pics. The only one[s] I have are old with all the body work still needing to be done. I need to get as much as I can to buy my next vehicle as I have no extra cash to add to the selling price.

Im thinking yes to pulling the sterio and installing the a/c [I live in phoenix and its already in the 80's] and just leaving a real nicely done primer job ready to be sprayed. Thanks for the input so far guys
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:46 AM   #7
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I would leave the body like it is. This will let the buyer better know where they stand bodywise. There are a lot of times when a vehicle that is pretty rough will get a quick primer job and will make it look a lot better than it is for the most part. It makes people more leery about the actual condition of the bodywork.

I would remove the good stereo components and install something you can part with or stock parts back. Getting the A/C working again would also help in selling it for the higher temperatures it gets in your area.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:15 AM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id throw in a working radio, prime the thing and put the air back together and then sell it this way youve got a decentproduct.. a cheap paint job will cheapen the truck . Most people want a working radio of some kind and where you live no air conditioning is practically useless so the way i see it doin the stuff i suggested gives you the best possible sale-ability with the list youve given us to work with

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote