The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
super72bb

Where is Darren!!!

Darren set off Friday night to pick up this massive beast. He was to drive this beauty back home which is about 700 miles. Has anyone heard from him? I can just imagine Darren Thundering down the highway in this monster?

If you see or hear from him please let us know!!!!
Attached Images

My build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7120181
super72bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:29 AM   #2
Deuce

Hope he had room in that thing for all the parts Frank talked me into buying!!

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
lazygaurd

room for parts

I think with the 6000lbs of parts in the back of this thing he will be lucky to make it over the toll booth before he has to fill up with fuel again. Duelling thumbs up have to go out to Mark Chance (Liverat) for all his help and hospitality over the weekend down in Seattle. We made it back to my house in Harrison Hot Springs last night around 2:00 AM after about 6 hours of break downs yesterday on the I-5. Things are all worked out now and he will be on his way in the next hour or so.

Last edited by lazygaurd; 03-14-2005 at 02:12 PM.
lazygaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
Deuce

What broke down?? Don't tell me it was waterpump related.

Last edited by Deuce; 03-14-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
Deuce

6000lbs of parts!!! Did you guys leave anything at the swap meet??

Old 03-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
lazygaurd

break down

Well first the trans wouldn't shift out of 1st so that was an easy one. It was just the vaccumn line off the trans. Then the charging system went dead and after replaceing the voltage regulator 3 times and the alternator 3 times we determined it was someting else. Again with Marks help and some trial and error we found out it was the inverter and after disconnecting it things were fine. Darren left here about an hour ago so if he makes it the next hour without problems he should be homefree. That thing is loaded, cowl hood, fenders, inners, bumpers,his pulleys system for the ram jet, 18" wheels, 5 sets of A/C etc etc... You should be able to get him on his cell by about 12:00 noon, after he gets through Kamloops.
Darrell...

Last edited by lazygaurd; 03-15-2005 at 12:37 AM.
lazygaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:44 PM   #7
low burb

I just finished talking to Darren for a half hour, while he was on the road. He thought he was at Hope. The beast is running great!! Sounds like he had a great time and met lots of good people. He says every time he stops people talk to him about the beast. He's lovin' it. This was 12:00 noon AB time.

1971 GMC Suburban "Crusty"
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd
1978 Scout II
1992 Passat Syncro
low burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Well...Darren...let's hear the whole story! It sounds like you had fun!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:51 PM   #9
Deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by stllookn
Well...Darren...let's hear the whole story! It sounds like you had fun!
Talked to him last night and he was driving around looking for someplace that was still open so he could buy a fuel pump. Don't know when he finally made it home, but it wasn't when he was expecting to. Sounds like he had quite a few problems.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:40 AM   #10
low burb

I just spent 45min on the phone with my brother. He is pumped almost home(about 1hr.away) He stopped at the weigh station and was very surprised that he made it through the mountain. (Sorry Bro) Anyway it sounds like a new gas tank, and a fuel filter will fix that baby up. Just glad that he made it home without having to tow that beauty out of the mountains. Thanks to all the people that helped him on tha way home. Sounds like he had a great time and met some great people.

Darren's big sister(posting under my hubby's name).

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd
1978 Scout II
1992 Passat Syncro

Last edited by low burb; 03-17-2005 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:41 AM   #11
low burb

Sorry I should have posted the time and date March 15 at 9:30 pm

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd
1978 Scout II
1992 Passat Syncro
Old 03-16-2005, 02:55 AM   #12
classicchev

Immmmmm Bbbbaaaaaaccccckkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rolled in like thunder around 11 pm, only about 26 hours late. The 18 fuel filters, one fuel electric fuel pump is enough to get you guys thinking of how fun the trip was, Ill post more tomorrow, I need sleep.

Goodnight, Darren OUT
classicchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
classicchev

Finially have time to do some typing. With the help of many board members, it made the trip a success..
Ill try to do a Coles Note version
Friday I flew to Abbotsford BC, where Darryl (lazyguard) finially picked me up, after a good chat on the way home we decided to stop for a beer( or 5), didnt get to bed until around 3am, had to get back up at 730 to get on the road to Seattle. After loading everyone in the car, darryl made a the trip to Seattle in record time, considering leaving too late. Once in Seatlle., we were to go to Tukwila, seemed like we knew where we were going, first exit, and about 5 minutes we were a couple blocks away from the motorhome.
We found Mark(Livrat) quit easily, now for the interesting part!

We had pulled up to his house, and I was more excited about the parts that I had sent to Mark, like Billet wheels, headers, and March pulleys, when I really should have been looking at the Motrohome.

It was not what I had expected, pics didnt show what I saw in real time, but Mark could see my concern and really wanted to help. At this point our ride had left , and I was a like a deer in headlights, could not decide what the ^$&# i should do!!! We had no ride, stranded in Tukwila with a fellow board member neither of us had met, and we had to get to Franks to pick up more parts that we had previously ordered.
What happpened next is probably the coolest part of the whole weekend, If half the board members were like the two guys that I was standing with on Saturday, this world would be a totally different place.
I mentioned to Mark about having to pick up these parts, and the problem of getting there with no wheels, he, with no hesitation, said" lets jump in my truck and Ill take you down there" Marc spent the whole weekend driving us whereever we wanted to go, even back down to the bar on Saturday night to have some more beers when what we bought run out.

Sunday we were at the swap meet, bought more parts, Darryl got his Suburban from Portland, so at least we had our own wheels; but you should have seen the amount of stuff we had to take back, no way it was going to fit in the sub.
After much thought and phone calls to the guy who started the whole thing( that would be my brother in law) I finally decided to take the motorhome, which was a good thing, or else the shipping of my parts would have been outrageous. So Sunday afternoon, he we are jamming stuff into the motorhome: inner fenders, fender,bumpers,cowl hood,4 whels and rims, boxes and boxes of small parts, and all the stuff Mark gave me to sweeten the deal of the purchase. 5 sets of A/C, brake boosters, brake hubs, a bunch of 1 ton parts , generator and a bunch of other stuff I dont even know about.
This was all "the sweeten the deal" stuff. I think I got the deal.

- Finally on the road, first problem, vacumm line, easy fix, but still haunted me for about 300 miles
- Drive for about a 1.5 hours, find out I have no charging system. Stop at Bills place in Marysville, 4 hours later I finially figure it out.
- Cruise up the I-5 at 55 - 60 all the way, cruise though the boarder with no problems, back to Darryls be 2 am.

-Up at 830. on the road by 10, fuel up and drive for the next three hours with no real challanges considering the mountains I was climbing.
- Then after around 4 hours into the trip the fun started, dirty gas. 16 fuel filters later, changing them on curve single lane highways in the middle of the night, semi' flying by like I was not even there, man that was scarier that what I saw on Saturday night(inside joke for Darryl and Mark)
Got through th night, drained the fuel tank, new Carter Pump, lines and more filters, then back on teh road again.
The motorhame ran great, most of the time, 60 -65 mph all the way, and amazingly quite. After many hours of laying under it changing filters, pumps , travelling in snow storms I finally made my way home only about 24 hrs late.

The amazing part is if I had to do it again, I would. I met some great people on the way, who did things that they didnt have to do. Probably the only thing I would do different next time is TAKE SOME TOOLS.

I have big plans for the "Coolcoach", like redoing the exterior with Zumos help, the inside is going to be one in its own: granite, hardwood floors, the works. Drivetrian wise, a fuel tank, tranny cooler and I would drive it anywhere.

Im sure I have missed many things, but Im probably boring many others, but I got it home, Im in one peice, and now one got hurt. Thank God.

I wouldjust like to thank everyone who I met on this journey, and a scecial thanks to Mark and Darryl for doing what they did, hats off to you two.

Ill keep eveyone posted one the progress of the coach, Im done now.

Thanks for reading, DArren
Old 03-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #14
chevymad

Darryll's sub a nice lowered green rig? I was hauling a bed and front clip from vancouver and a nice sub passed me near kelso. Honked as they went by. Just barely had time to look as I was pullin off of 5.
chevymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #15
classicchev

reread your post, I doubt it was us, if you didnt see a motorhome on its ass that was not us. The one he has now is a green 70 4x4 with big burly tires on it, youll here him coming for miles.

Last edited by classicchev; 03-20-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:41 PM   #16
chevymad

Darryl got his Suburban from Portland, so at least we had our own wheels

Just thought I might have seen him moving from portland north. Doubt I'd hear him coming.. its not exactly quiet in my rig either!
Old 03-20-2005, 05:54 PM   #17
classicchev

You should hear it in the motorhome, it is as quiet as my wifes 2000 Impala. I was shocked at how quiet it is , not like my truck , I cant even hear myself think .
Old 03-21-2005, 02:43 AM   #18
chevymad

Ya.. between the flowmasters, the windnoise, and the sound of the 275/60s all around it gets pretty noisey. Don't realize how noisey till you slow down and the radios blaring.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:25 AM   #19
Blue Beard

Sounds like a Where's Waldo Story...

Glad you made it home.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #20
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Glad you made it home with your new project always great to see board members helping board member's..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote