The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
XXL
Seņor Member

Quick question re I6 pan removal -- Hellllp!

Can the 250 oil pan be removed fairly easily? As in... loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine up a bit, then pull the pan???

I'm trying to get my ripped oil pan R&R'd and the shop just called to tell me they have to pull the tranny to get the oil pan swapped. That makes no sense to me.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:15 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive never done the oil pan on an I 6 in a truck but in cars ive undid the motor mounts jacked up the motor and slipped pieces of 4X4 or something to lay on the motor mount tabs and the motor mount to hold the motor higher and then ive been able to drop the pan... in some instances i had to get a pry bar in there too to give it a little persuasion but ive never ever had to pull a transmission to get a oil pan out... if anything unbolt the trans and lift the motor with a hoist

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
XXL
Seņor Member

Thanks, Bob. They claim they've already jacked up the motor. I'm going to break out of work for a bit and go see what the problem is *grrrrrr*
Old 03-14-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

I'm actually curious what you find out.

Dropped a new 6cyl in my truck this weekend and both pans are dented up, I'd like to replace one.

Fortunately, someone went over the new engine and replaced the bolts with stubs. Makes taking the pan on and off a lot easier.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #5
Bryan68custom

If you have an automatic trans it makes it a lot easier, But if you have a standard trans then it might be that you have too pull the trans. I'm not sure if it will tilt enough with the bell housing mounts. I have never done one with a standard myself this is just what I have heard.
2008 crew cab lt (rolling on dubs)

"The nice part about living in a small town is when you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does"
Bryan68custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
XXL
Seņor Member

It's a TH350... and had to pull it and the flywheel *grrrrr*. I guess these inline 6's are so reliable GM didn't expect we'd ever need to actually pull the pan. If not, bad design
Old 03-15-2005, 08:47 AM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

I've pulled the oil pan off an L6 with out disconnecting the sm465 tranny. You do have to let off the motor mounts and maybe tranny mounting bolts too, then jack up the rear with a 2x4 to keep the sheetmetal nice. It 's not easy but I've done it on my own, on my back with a hard dirt driveway. Disconnecting the tranny seems like too much.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
64fleetside

I'd pull the engine before I pulled the trans. Then the pan is easy to get to. I can pull a six in about 20 minutes. Brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:00 PM   #9
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

i pulled the pan on my 250 when i changed the clutch this past summer. it has the 3-on-the-tree & it was easy. unbolt front motor mounts, put some 2x4 scraps in between & pull the pan. i didnt need to undo the rear bellhousing mounts bacause it wasnt needed. you need to undo the front to get the pan around the oil pump (its at the front under the distributor) & out.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote