The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER

Should I buy this truck???

Hello everyone, well I have just seen a truck on ebay that is also for sale locally so I'm thinking about going there in person and buying from him.... He says he'll take 3000.00 $ for it what do you think??? Take a look at it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4534844430

1969 CHEVROLET CST-10 PICK-UP
Good memories

1999 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. cab 5.7L
Good Memories

With a quart of oil, and a gallon of gas, she won't let no other car pass!!!.

& FOREVER
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #2
Bryan68custom

Pretty nice, but I dont know if I would go that high on it. Around here that would be a 1000.00-1800.00 pickup.

Just my thoughts

Bryan
2008 crew cab lt (rolling on dubs)

"The nice part about living in a small town is when you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does"
Bryan68custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER

But it's got that factory air thing and factory 396!!, if you think that's to high maybe I'll try talking him down to ohhh say 2700??

Good memories

Good Memories

& FOREVER
Old 03-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
724wdcopper
graphic designer

start at $2500 and stop at $2700. it's a decent pickup, but needs a lot of work. and who knows exactly what condition that engine is in. sure, it runs good, but for how long? ask LonghornMan about how fast an engine can go south! sorry longhorn
724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
ezernut9mm

that's a pretty fair asking price for around here. like 724wdcopper said, start at 25 and stop around 27,28...

'02 nissan sentra (wal-mart warrior)
ezernut9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:33 PM   #6
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Well really it depends on how bad you want I guess.

That looks like a truck from down here a while back.How long has it been in Kearney?
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Looks like a nice truck from the pics. The paint isn't original combo, the interior has different seat, steering wheel and dash pad colors. Still a deal at $2500.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:30 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

I would say $2k depending on the shape of the floor and bed. dtlilly is right - there are a lot of non-original parts on it and some hacking has been done that you can't restore easily such as the stereo opening (doesn't look like a shaft radio in there).

Also, it sounds like the current owner doesn't know whether the engine and tranny are original - that means there is no paperwork on the truck. Without some research, you'll never know.

I would provide your offer now and tell him, "look - I'll take it off your hands for $2000 cash. No nonsense, no haggling, instant cash, no fees to pay to eBay, no shipping arrangements needing to be made, no other hassles. If this is acceptable, let me know. I want to save you and me both the hassles."

Just make him realize that you want an original truck that you can work on and remind him of the fees he's going to incur, remind him the cash will not come immediately, and he's going to need to work with the winner to transport the vehicle and pay up (assuming the winner doesn't flake out on him, which is another possible negative aspect to eBay'ing)

Whatever you do, good luck. Be sure to look closely for rust along the inside and outside of the wheel wells, under the battery cage, etc.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:55 PM   #9
RShaips

He said rust on the firewall, its hard to see in the pics but I have seen a few that I wouldn't touch that were rusted all the way through. From the looks of it I would say around $2,000. Good luck
RShaips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:56 PM   #10
useRc10

battery sure did rust that fender pretty good...must have been some serious battery acid leaking
-dads '70 burb (red, 5-7 drop, 350...)

www.geocities.com/userc10/truckhome.html
AIM: Auntjoedadda
useRc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:54 AM   #11
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

I wouldn't give 2g's for it, but that is me. There is too much work to justify a 3g price.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:08 AM   #12
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
I would say $2k depending on the shape of the floor and bed. dtlilly is right - there are a lot of non-original parts on it and some hacking has been done that you can't restore easily such as the stereo opening (doesn't look like a shaft radio in there).

Also, it sounds like the current owner doesn't know whether the engine and tranny are original - that means there is no paperwork on the truck. Without some research, you'll never know.

I would provide your offer now and tell him, "look - I'll take it off your hands for $2000 cash. No nonsense, no haggling, instant cash, no fees to pay to eBay, no shipping arrangements needing to be made, no other hassles. If this is acceptable, let me know. I want to save you and me both the hassles."

Just make him realize that you want an original truck that you can work on and remind him of the fees he's going to incur, remind him the cash will not come immediately, and he's going to need to work with the winner to transport the vehicle and pay up (assuming the winner doesn't flake out on him, which is another possible negative aspect to eBay'ing)

Whatever you do, good luck. Be sure to look closely for rust along the inside and outside of the wheel wells, under the battery cage, etc.

I told him your exact words 2,000 and I also said that I may go as far as 3k but given the condition the truck is in I think 2,000 is an ok offer, then I told him to let me know his desicion, what do you think????

Good memories

Good Memories

& FOREVER
Old 03-15-2005, 05:24 AM   #13
4x4Poet

If you haven't seen it in person, no reason to jump on it.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:58 AM   #14
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVY & GMC FOREVER
I told him your exact words 2,000 and I also said that I may go as far as 3k but given the condition the truck is in I think 2,000 is an ok offer, then I told him to let me know his desicion, what do you think????
I wouldn't have told him you'd go as high as 3k. I would have kept it at a firm $2,000, but, hey, whatever. I just thought $2k was the highest fair price for you and the lowest fair price for him (i.e. it was a fair price for both of you )

I agree wholeheartedly with 4x4Poet's post - no reason to jump on a truck if you ain't seen it in and out.

Before you commit to a price, you really want to look at the bed and body panels, see how bad the rusted out section is under the battery box and pull up the carpet to look at those floorboards. Make sure you look under the carpet AND crawl under the truck to look at the bottom of the body as well.

If there's only surface rust, I would entertain paying him $2.5k. If there is only a little bit of rust, but nothing rusting through and no weakness to the panels, I would pay $2k. If there was really bad rust, I wouldn't bother buying the truck.

It looks like a paint job was done in the past few years...be sure to look for paint bubbles also (rust under the paint).

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:32 PM   #15
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER

Quote:
I wouldn't have told him you'd go as high as 3k. I would have kept it at a firm $2,000, but, hey, whatever. I just thought $2k was the highest fair price for you and the lowest fair price for him (i.e. it was a fair price for both of you )

I agree wholeheartedly with 4x4Poet's post - no reason to jump on a truck if you ain't seen it in and out.

Before you commit to a price, you really want to look at the bed and body panels, see how bad the rusted out section is under the battery box and pull up the carpet to look at those floorboards. Make sure you look under the carpet AND crawl under the truck to look at the bottom of the body as well.

If there's only surface rust, I would entertain paying him $2.5k. If there is only a little bit of rust, but nothing rusting through and no weakness to the panels, I would pay $2k. If there was really bad rust, I wouldn't bother buying the truck.

It looks like a paint job was done in the past few years...be sure to look for paint bubbles also (rust under the paint).
Well If I get it I'll either use it as a parts truck for my Sweety II or I'll fix it up, i'm not sure... I sent him that E-Mail last night and he has not responded yet. So maybe I'll give him a call, wish me luck.......

Good memories

Good Memories

& FOREVER
Old 03-15-2005, 05:35 PM   #16
shifty
Questionable

Good luck! I'm interested in knowing what you hear. Buying a car is fun (until you get it home and realize how much work there is to do!)

If he just wants money, he'll probably take your offer. If he is a gambling man and isn't afraid of the after-sale tasks, he will probably decline so he can get the most possible cash out of it on eBay.

Even if he declines the offer, wait until a day or two before the auction ends and, if it hasn't met his "Reserve" price or it's nearly at $2k or less than that amount, offer him a firm $2k again and remind him he can have your money without any responsibility or hassles afterwards.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:45 PM   #17
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER

Alright I just called the guy and gave him the offer of 2,000 and he rejected it so then I went up to 2700 and rejected again, so I told him I'll call him later cause I have to talk it over with the wife (I did all this without here knowing ) So now I'll talk with the wife, but what do you think this guy won't move from 3,000 should I pay him 3,000 or just forget about the truck?????

Good memories

Good Memories

& FOREVER
Old 03-15-2005, 06:02 PM   #18
724wdcopper
graphic designer

pass on this one. there are plenty of trucks for sale. you'll undoubtably stumble across a killer deal an hour before i do and steal it out from under me.
724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:02 PM   #19
shifty
Questionable

Personally, I'd forget about it.

I paid $3800 + tax for my truck and it's in waaaaay better shape than that thing. I got a rebuilt L6 for an add'l $300 and put it in. Hardly any rust on my truck, new paint, only one or two dents.

Click on the links in my signature just below this message, you can look at pictures of it. It's pretty immaculate.

Granted, my truck does have the original little 250 in it with no real power options, but it's mostly original and no body damage or rust. If I can get mine for around $4200 with an extra motor, you should be able to get that one in its current shape for $2000.

Don't let him sucker you into paying more than its worth. He obviously thinks it's more than its worth and you can't win that kind of battle.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:13 PM   #20
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER

This guy said that he put a lot of money into it and can only accept 3,000... But then he later said that he found this one and he was going to restore it but then he found another one with the 396 and all the option...... so I guess he is stubborn, I'll pass on it... Thank you all for all the help you have given me, without you guys he probably would have talked me into paying 3,000 or MORE (He said that 3,000 was the least he would accept) well I'll keep looking......

Good memories

Good Memories

& FOREVER
Old 03-15-2005, 06:28 PM   #21
shifty
Questionable

Sounds like he wants to get everything out of that truck that he spent on it. Either that or there is some emotional attachment. A truck is not worth the money you put into it. You can spend $10,000 on a truck and it's still only worth $5,000.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:32 PM   #22
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER

Quote:
Sounds like he wants to get everything out of that truck that he spent on it. Either that or there is some emotional attachment.
What emotional attachment he's got TWO of them!!!!

Good memories

Good Memories

& FOREVER
Old 03-15-2005, 06:39 PM   #23
shifty
Questionable

Some of the guys here at the forum have 10 trucks. I bet they'd still shoot you if you tried to take one

THAT is emotional attachment right there

Old 03-15-2005, 06:43 PM   #24
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER

Quote:
Some of the guys here at the forum have 10 trucks. I bet they'd still shoot you if you tried to take one

THAT is emotional attachment right there
I guess your right....

Good memories

Good Memories

& FOREVER
Old 03-15-2005, 07:05 PM   #25
ezernut9mm

i'd grab an auto trader mag. lots of stuff in there. also, if your willing to travel, there are some nice trucks down in oklahoma. less rust. i go to wagoner ok. everynight and pass about seven 67-72's for sale. kinda hard to stop and check them out tho driving a semi... i'll take my camera tonight and get some pics along the way.

'02 nissan sentra (wal-mart warrior)
ezernut9mm is offline   Reply With Quote