The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
skahide
Looking @ 67 Chevy Short Step

Speedo or the Cable??

Ever since i bought my truck none of the guages have worked, but the lights have. I tried about 5 months ago to see why the speedo wasnt working but the truck ended up dying on me, so i was side tracked for a couple months with getting it going again. well now its up, and i need a speedo. I have cruise control but it doesnt work. so the cable is in two parts with the cruise control inbetween. I can never get the cable to actually snap in to the back of the speedo. So i dont know if it is the cable or guage. What would you do first, get the guage or a direct cable from the trans to the guage? How hard it is to install a speedo cable? i have NO trans experience.
skahide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:15 AM   #2
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Since you couldn't reassemble the cable to the speedo that may be your problem. The cable core is shaped so that it must be properly aligned to be able to inserted into the speedometer head. Try to rotate the cluster slightly as you insert the core tip into the head. The spring clip should snap right in place.

If your cable core or housing is damaged, you'll need to replace them. It's not too difficult to replace both. (If your cable is in good condition, you could lube the core with powered graphite.)

That's where I would start.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Eyegore
What Hump?

I've had two c-10's with cruise an 82 & 86 and had the same problem with both. I went to a speedo shop and they told me the overdrives go bad and lock up and just replace the cable with a longer on. So I bought the longer cable from Checker(kragan) for $19.00 and they both work fine.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I would make sure the cable is seated in the gauge first. When I installed my tach dash the speedo quit working. It was the cable not seated properly. A little bit can make the difference....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
TrainD5115
North Coast, baby!

As far as the other gauges not working, are you certain you have the correct set-up?
If it had idiot lights originally, and someone put in a gauge pack it wouldn't work but the lights would. Check to make sure the electrical plug is in correctly though.
3.73's
Still running full CA smog gear!
TrainD5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
skahide
Looking @ 67 Chevy Short Step

what exactly is a idiot light guage pod? how do i know what SHOULD be in the truck? ill try a couple things today and see what i can do. thanks guys
skahide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:12 PM   #7
Zilverado
Account Suspended

"Idiot lights" are how people refer to the light indicators for things such as oil pressure, water temp, etc. Most serious vehicle drivers like to see actual gauges instead of just lights. It allows the driver to more closely monitor what's going on under the hood. Since sometimes by the time an "idiot" light would come on saying "OIL", the engine may have already experienced some degree of oil starvation for a while.

So, that's a brief explanation. As far as what your truck should have, different models came with different set-ups, both are factory. My '86 Silverado has the full gauge setup (except tach). That's the way I like it.

I'm sure someone here will be able to tel you which trucks came with what.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote