The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
.030over

Difference between 1/2 and 3/4 ton 1968?

Ok guys, My first visit to this forum! I have been looking for a 67-72 truck for a good while and recently found a '68 C20 for a great deal. I am really not sure what I want to do to it but for a start I want to try to evaluate what I have. I hadn't considered a 3/4 ton truck to build until I saw this one that looks very much like the 1/2 ton trucks. Can anyone help me out with just what exactly is different between the C10 and C20 trucks. Is the frame taller or thicker? It appears that the trailing arms are the same??? How about the control arms other than ball joints? My first thought was that I was going to scrap the frame and do a nova subframe and a 2x3 box rear frame with 4 link. Now I'm wondering if I should just salvage some part of the OE frame and just shorten it to shortbed size and convert the front to 5 lug 1/2 ton stuff. I have a healthy big block and a 9" ford with rear discs waiting for it. I have done several chassis cars and trucks so I'm not afraid to dive in big with this one so give me your thoughts!
Thanks,
Scott
.030over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:57 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Frame is basicly the same....some reenforced areas. There are pics posted on this, but the search is down for now...maybe they will get dug up and/or re-posted.
Trailing arms are the same...but beefed up.
Springs are stiffer
hubs bearings brakes and wheels are bigger, (can still lower them with drop springs no problem)
license plates cost more in some areas (I convunced Ohio that my one ton is a 3/4 ton...saved me about 35 - 40 bucks a year)

Personally, i would not do such drastic mods to the chassis. The rear susp set up is the same as underneath the NASCAR cars...maybe bush cars...I dunno, i don't follow that, but i know it is the same as one of them series. It is a very good set up that works great with loads, and with putting power to the ground. Granted, if your big block is liek a mega motor, then maybe some drastic mods are needed... but otherwise I would skip them myself.

Welcome to the board from central Ohio...whare are you located in the world?
Make sure to look at our parts page, and the gen discussion for anything non truck related...we even talk about fords and imports. Some one goes and ruins it everyonce in a while by bringing up dodge...but hey, we all aren't perfect. (just kidding mopar guys)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
.030over

Had one of those too!

I did a stint with a Caddy 500 in a '77 Blazer with 3/4 ton axles and 18x44s. I really need to get my pictures out! I am in Maryland, just south of Baltimore.

I have my heart set on a shortbed. This truck will get shorter somehow. I just need to decide if I want to do the minimum or go all out. I would be happy with a moderate drop, so maybe you are right. I see that you can get a conversion spindle with a 2.5" drop for the 3/4 ton truck to run 1/2 ton brakes. That sounds real easy!
Thanks for the info!
Scott
Old 03-16-2005, 07:49 AM   #4
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

South of Baltimore? Hmmm, like somewhere around Severna Park? (that's where I grew up). I'm in Virginia Beach, about 3 hours from you. If you need any parts let me know, I may have them. 3/4 ton truck doesn't look much different from the 1/2 ton truck, the biggest difference in appearence is the 8 lug rims.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:58 AM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi. Don't forget to check out our FAQ page, lots of good info there.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:11 AM   #6
.030over

Randy70C-10
Yea, I work in Severna Park (Magothy Auto service) and live in Glen Burnie. I may take you up on the parts... thanks
I have been doing newer trucks lately so I have zero parts for the 67-72s