The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
0ptikal

Exclamation Power steering conversion problems 67 c10 shortbed 2wd

Hey guys I just started gutting what was a future project truck due to a frame crack i found. It's a 68 c20 2wd. I have a 67 chev 2wd c10 lowrider that has manual steering.
So i removed the power steering and gearbox from the 68 kept everything still connected. Then removed my 67's manual box. All of witch took about 15 minutes a truck. When i went to put the gearbox on I had all sorts of problems getting it to align with the bolt holes due to the core support. After about 5 hours and a tappered pry bar, bottle jack, and two friends helping ot align the box I got the bolt started. tightened the heck out of it and then just added the rest the same way. Tightened the rag joint up in the column, put a new pressure line on it and new return hose but used the old fittings (one return has a small place where it was dented about .25% of the width) then i mounted the powersteering pump, changed the pulley to a 87 cameros pulley because thats the block in the truck and it's angled back so the rest of the pulleys align up. That all went fine i tightened it down all the way. Everything seemed good. No aparent clearence issues. The pressure line has a small turn in it because of the engine being sat back frother in the truck then the 68 due to motor mount placing. (left the motor mounts frame side back in the 6 cylinder position when installing the v8 instead of moving them forward) anway fired the truck up and sounded a bit weird @ first then went inside came back out while it was running and it sounded normal. I said ok lets try her out. turned the wheels which turned freely and it made a sound like when the wheels are turned all the way and the pump makes that going into overdrive sound. i figured i have 245's on the front maybee i need to be moving and it won't due it, maybee its just because of the large footprint. So i backed down my driveway and came back up still the same loudness. Then i figured the engine might be@ a lower RPM. but still no it just changes the pitch higher when you raise the rpm's. I took this setup off literally about three days ago from this 68 which i drove 30 miles 4 or 5 times and everything worked perfectly no problems till now. I'm just about out of ideas. Is the gearbox the problem or the pump? I know when i ordered a line for the 67 powersteering pump a while back it was way way off. smaller. but i never got around to putting that setup on my truck and its somewhere in one of my sheds with all my other parts. So this setup i knew was for a 68 so i ordered the 68 line. I know in most ways a 67 was a bastard year so didn't know if this was another instance of some oddity for them. any help or ideas would be greatly appriciated after 2 days I'm just burnt on this! I drive this truck every day and i have to figure out what is wrong pretty quick lol.
Thanks again!
0ptikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

sounds like you have air in the system. run it about 1500 RPM and turn the wheel lock to lock several times. If this does not help then drain the existing fluid as it is probably aeriated (full of air bubbles) and replace with fresh fluid. top off the pump. If the engine is leaned back then I would jack up the rear end of the truck to level out the engine and pump while I did this.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Aerated fluid. It will work itself out over the next few days. Keep topping the fluid up as needed.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:06 PM   #4
Dean23
68cst_ss490

Another good way to get air out of the system is to run the engine and turn the steering to lock and hold it there. then shut the engine off ewhile holding it at lock. Watch cause sometimes the steering will kick back.Do this a few times in either direction. and top up fluid as required
2005 Chevrolet Avalanche LT
cold air intake, performance exhaust, Comp cams cam, jba shorty ceramic headers.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3090973
Dean23 is offline   Reply With Quote