The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2005, 11:26 PM   #1
J Y Dog

Another engine mount ?

Folks,

Have been trying to run down the mounts at the rear of the engine where the bellhousing mounts to the xmember. The guys at te local "zone" stores get that deer in the headlights look when I ask for these. If any one here has replaced theirs latley and can shed any light I'd be obliged.

I'd buy from a board vendor but would rather try local first to save some shipping.

TIA
Jim
J Y Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:33 AM   #2
cduster

On my truck, there is no x-member at the bell housing. I'm afraid I have that deer in the headlight look on my face right now too. Sorry I couldn't help you. Would like to see a pic of what you are talking about.

Dan
cduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:35 AM   #3
cdowns

the only thing bolted to my bellhousing is the tranny
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:53 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

I really hope this helps shed light on the situation. I did an engine swap this past week and a half on my ride.

On my truck, I have the crossmember in question. The bellhousing is mounted using one bolt on either side of the bellhousing with a small 1½"x3" (approximately) plastic/rubber C-shaped pads with a hard surface surrounding them (I think, I am not looking at them right now). They wrap around the x-member and have a single bolt through the center that goes into the bell housing.

Here are pictures:

Bell housing, where it sits on the x-member:

The tranny from underneath, you can see both of the mounts here (look at the x-member above the shock):

And another picture, showing the bolt and stuff:

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:02 AM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Cool, I've never seen it done like that before...

My trannies are all bolted to the tranny cross member by the tailhousing, and fall down if you pull the engine out...
Old 03-21-2005, 01:24 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

That's the factory manual transmission mounting on these trucks. The transmission just hangs off the bellhousing out in thin air. The crossmember is riveted into the frame rails from the factory. It's very common.

I don't know where to get the new rubbers though.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:26 AM   #7
shifty
Questionable

I think I need to get a new tranny or rebuild my existing one. Damned thing won't stop leaking. It's only a drop or two here or there, but it's unnerving. It's apparently been doing this for a while - you can tell by all of the gunk on the crossmember in that last picture.

Below is a REALLY crude, makeshift cross-section of it that I threw together really, really fast in Photoshop:

The black part represents a cross-section of the tranny crossmember.
The tan represents the shock absorber/bellhousing mounting bracket thing.
The green represents the actual tab on the bellhousing.
The red is the single bolt that connects all of them together.

I believe the mount itself is more of a shock absorber than anything. The hole in the crossmember is NOT threaded...and neither is the mount...so, you basically feed the bolt through both and screw into the tab on the base of the bellhousing.

I would guess, if you're hard up enough, that you could use an old chunk of tire or something for the mount itself if you wanted. You'd just need the bolts. Pretty sure they were just a 1¾" - 2" hex-head 9/16's bolt just like all the rest of the engine mount bolts (well, twice as long as mostm ount bolts, but same damned thread pattern and all).
Attached Images

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:45 AM   #8
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
I don't know where to get the new rubbers though.
If he can't find it through a member on the board, ChevyDuty.com has them.

Whatever you do, I wouldn't trust a local parts store to get you the right part. If they suggest "ANCHOR 2378" or some crap like that, I think it's only half of what you need or it's wrong. This is the part that Auto Zone and Advance Auto parts list. NAPA has a similar part. Chevyduty.com lists the same part they have as the "Rear Transmission Mount Pad" for 350/turboglide trannys.

The actual title of the part is "Rear Motor Mount".

HERE IT IS:
http://www.chevyduty.com/store/prodi...item=6&mitem=7

Or the better one:

http://www.chevyduty.com/store/prodi...item=7&mitem=7

I believe that is the part you are looking for. I COULD BE WRONG. Local parts store might also list it as "rear motor mount".

Last edited by shifty; 03-21-2005 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:16 AM   #9
cduster

LILLB. Never had anything like that. Thanks for the pics.

Dan
cduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:45 AM   #10
tnblazerk5
User #12137

i may have sum used one around here sumwhere you want them ? i just took all that out last winter and put in a th350 trans if i can find them you can have them for shippin cost
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:13 AM   #11
bucket

i bought mine from chevy duty since they are local and the general parts stores were clueless too.

i believe the chevy dealers still have these though. i know i had to order the metal sleeves from the dealer since they were not included with the chevy duty mounts.
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #12
J Y Dog

Thanks for the pics there Shifty thats what I'm talkin about . Maybe I should have said it is a three on the tree truck in my first post I just assumed everyone was familiar with this set up.

While its possible that GM still makes these finding a parts counterperson who knows how to find them is difficult at my local dealership.

I appreciate the offer from the member on the used ones but new is the way I want to go. These are important to the alignment of the clutch linkage and driveshaft. Mine are sagged cosiderably.

Jim
J Y Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #13
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket
i believe the chevy dealers still have these though. i know i had to order the metal sleeves from the dealer since they were not included with the chevy duty mounts.
I think they carry the metal sleeve ones now? Check this out:

http://www.chevyduty.com/store/prodi...item=7&mitem=7

Looks like they're in a metal sleeve, but not sure.

Oh, you're welcome J Y, glad I could finally help someone